Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Ok, I have narrowed it down to the Goodyear G647 or the Michelin Rib I have an 03 Winnebago Minnie 31C tire size 225/75R/16

what do you guys think? Which has the better track record? Any comments on price would be great. What is the going rate for these tires?

Thanks
Big Muskie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

Ok, I have narrowed it down to the Goodyear G647 or the Michelin Rib I have an 03 Winnebago Minnie 31C tire size 225/75R/16

what do you guys think? Which has the better track record? Any comments on price would be great. What is the going rate for these tires?

Thanks
Big Muskie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Lots of varying opinions on this subject. I have one so here 'tiz. We were ready for a set for our Moneyco and like you, I had narrowed it down to those two mfgs. I ended up going with Michelin for the simple reason that the Goodyear units were not readily available and the Michelin guys convinced me theirs was a better product (go figure).
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing wrong with the Michelin product - I've used them on a couple of our rigs, but don't plan on ever collecting on their warranty cause it ain't gonna happen unless the tire blows out before you drive it away from the tire shop. With Michelin onRV tires, it's always "underinflation" or "road hazard". Goodyear, on the other hand, is pretty generous on their warranty adjustments.

I think the Michelin will give you longer tread wear (mileage) if that's a factor in your decision. However, most RV tires die of old age (about 7 years) long before they wear out the tread.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The E-rated, all steel construction Michelin XPS Rib has been a proven problem-solver on a lot of 5th wheels that have experienced tread separation problems. I was sufficiently impressed with their performance after having installed them on our previous 5th wheel that I just put a set on my truck (LT235/85R-16E).

Having said that, our current 5th wheel came equipped with all-steel construction, trailer specific G-rated Goodyear G614 RST tires, and I haven't had any problems with them, either. I did have a tread separation problem with the Goodyear Marathons on our first 5th wheel many years ago, and Goodyear replaced the tires and paid for the repair of the damage to the trailer.

Based on my experience, I went with the Michelins on the truck because I'd rather never have a problem in the first place than have to rely on a good warranty program to repair the damage caused by a tire problem.

JM2CW.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,
Why do you keep saying bad things about Michelin warranty claims? Have you personally had a bad experience and will never let it die?

Unless there is a trend of poor performance of a specific tire line, it really comes down to what one is looking for in a set of tires. Different brands sometimes have a tendency do different things by design. Isn't this what responding to the OP should be about?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John, did you buy your tires yet? As I mentioned in your other thread on the Minnie, we had Firestones on our 31c that seemed fine, the Michelins we had on our Suncruiser rode very hard. We went with Goodyear because of their RV designed tires with anti-oxidant compounds built in, and also because Goodyear is the only major US tire manufacturer left. Their workers deserve our support as long as they make a quality product. We will also NEVER buy anything from a French-owned company again as long as I am alive... If you don't want to go Goodyear, then I would consider one of the Japanese companies such as Bridgestone.

So far I have been very pleased with the Goodyears ride and handling.
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #8

Stick with the Michelins just to be safe.

Colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote