Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #15

A little maintenance once in a while on the sensors should be common sense......batteries do fall, and not all are created equal....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
She indicated "no-one makes a sensor that will detect/report a catastrophic failure".
Not sure that's true.

We have a TireMinder system, one of the older versions. In a sudden rainstorm it will sometimes alarm as a sudden loss of pressure. The company says it's because of rapid cooling of the tire, which the TPMS cannot distinguish from an actual pressure loss.
Since the ONLY time I have ever experienced a blowout was in a driving rainstorm when I apparently hit some road debris, (not in an RV) I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the practicality of a TPMS. I use it as a supplemental tool and do not rely on it solely.
I will probably not buy another system when this one dies.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Not sure that's true.

We have a TireMinder system, one of the older versions. In a sudden rainstorm it will sometimes alarm as a sudden loss of pressure. The company says it's because of rapid cooling of the tire, which the TPMS cannot distinguish from an actual pressure loss.
Since the ONLY time I have ever experienced a blowout was in a driving rainstorm when I apparently hit some road debris, (not in an RV) I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the practicality of a TPMS. I use it as a supplemental tool and do not rely on it solely.
I will probably not buy another system when this one dies.
I agree that the TPMS can not detect a catastrophic tire failure happens way to fast.

As an example my wife's VW Jetta TDI has a TPMS. We were driving the car and I heard a small explosion my wife asked what was that and I said that her tire just went flat. As I pulled over to the side of the road to change the tire the low pressure warning for the tires came on.

My comment was really I need the idiot light to tell me that the tire was flat!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #18

NOT having a TPMS will CERTAINLY not indicate a catastrophic tire failure. And I have had a couple of instances where I needed a crutch; from a broken leg.
Each to their own, and you are welcome to your opinion.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
TMPS are not made to tell you of complete tire failure such as a big blow-out. That is caused by road hazard or tire defects. You don't need a TMPS to know when this happens except maybe on your toad or tow. The warning of slow leaks is possibility the safest warning and most common warning. And make sure you don't skimp on the type of tires. I decided to get a cheap set and in one night I had two flats. It maybe in the near future that the sensors will holler when all the air is suddenly gone. I am sure it will happen but I still would not be without a good TMPS. That is the reason I usually drive with the camera on the toad. You can usually see if you have a problem.
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure, tires