Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Tires balancing

I am in installing six new Michelin XRV 225 70R 19.5 in my class A motorhome did anybody had experience balancing the tires with(liquid Tire balancing)or (counteract balancing beads)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have the beads in all our tires!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Equal here. Seems to work well. Would do it again.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56llama View Post
I am in installing six new Michelin XRV 225 70R 19.5 in my class A motorhome did anybody had experience balancing the tires with(liquid Tire balancing)or (counteract balancing beads)
56llama
I've used a set of 4 Centramatic Wheel Balancers since '01.
Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic
Mel
'96 Safari, (currently on the 3rd set of tires)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

Since tires usually get replaced by years vs wear, and somewhere between a 5-8 year cycle being the band of the norm of age, I go ahead and pay to have all wheels balanced. Yes, even the drive/duals. And for us, our Tag too.

And like Mel, I have Centramatics on each axle, including drive/duals.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
This goes against the norm but this is my experience.
Camping World put new Michelins on the front of my 2006 MH when I bought it 2 years ago. They put the balancing granules in without the proper valve stems. They would leak every time I checked the air pressure and were a pain. Thank you CW. I had my local tire store remove the granules and asked what they would recommend for balancing. They said "nothing."
That is what I've used on my 22.5" Michelins steer tires with no problem so far.
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
This goes against the norm but this is my experience.
I had my local tire store remove the granules and asked what they would recommend for balancing.
They said "nothing."
That is what I've used on my 22.5" Michelins steer tires with no problem so far
LarrytheBear
Not only does "nothing" go "against the norm"....."nothing" is just plain WRONG!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use beads in mine and love them. A little outta balance when we start, but they sssmmmoooottthhh out real quick. And with beads you never have to rebalance because you are always rebalancing.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the centramatic balances now. Put them on a few days ago and the advantage over beads is they do not have to be replaced with new tires and will actually transfer to another MH if the wheels are the same. Anyway, well worth not having to worry about balancing and probably no more rotating tires.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had my local tire store remove the granules and asked what they would recommend for balancing. They said "nothing."
That is what I've used on my 22.5" Michelins steer tires with no problem so far.
In my opinion that is a somewhat risky choice. Michelins are often round enough (true round) to not require balancing, but I don't think even Michelin would promise that is always true. Or that your wheels (as opposed to their tires) might not be a tad out of round or bent. Not every tire that comes out of the factory is perfect.

The commercial shop tire I mostly use does Equal. If I want Dynabeads or other balancing product, I have to bring my own or request it in advance so they can get it. I don't think they even have spin balancing equipment anymore. Nor do they ask if I want balancing - they balance every tire they sell and it's included in the price they quote.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #11

I had 6 new Michelin Radials installed about a year and a half ago with equal for balancing. The third time I took it back they did spin balance the front two tires which improved the ride. The rear tires have equal and I plan to have it taken out and spin balanced soon. I have read many threads about how pleased they are with equal but I have been disappointed.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One issue with balancing is that wheels are not perfectly round nor are many tires. Both are often off a bit. Hunter now makes a fancy spin balancer and in a nutshell what it does is match any high spot on the tire no matter how small to any low spot on the wheel no matter how small and makes the entire wheel much closer to perfectly round. It costs more as the tech has to remove the tire and remount it exactly where the computer tells him to then spin again and balance.

Our previous MH had front tires that the local dealer could not get perfect even though they were new. I took it to a shop that had the hunter machine and presto, they were perfect (and I was out $65).
Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In my opinion that is a somewhat risky choice. Michelins are often round enough (true round) to not require balancing, but I don't think even Michelin would promise that is always true. Or that your wheels (as opposed to their tires) might not be a tad out of round or bent. Not every tire that comes out of the factory is perfect.
One of the large west coast tire shop chains says that Michelins are the best at being round and taking less weight that any other brand they service/sell. I run nothing but Michelins and find they need very little weight and have never had to have one rebalanced.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
One of the large west coast tire shop chains says that Michelins are the best at being round and taking less weight that any other brand they service/sell. I run nothing but Michelins and find they need very little weight and have never had to have one rebalanced.
I've never had to have any tire re-balanced...but in 2014 I did have to have all 6 Michelin tires replaced because of the cracks developed in the sidewalls in only 3-1/2 years.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
tires