Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had a 2004 Cougar 286EFS 5-r. The tires were 225/75R15D (heavier capacity tire), which are ST. Your 278 is less weight than ours was so, if the tires are original, they should've been 205/75R15C (lighter capacity tire), ST's.....at least according to the brochure I still have.

So you do have the right size for your 5-r, just maybe higher capacity if yours really are D.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
I have a 2004 Keystone Cougar 278EFS 5th wheel. Loaded (gross?) weight around 8100 lbs. I bought the unit last fall. The tires that came on it are 205 75R 15 load range D. Some oddball brand which I don't recall at the moment. I was reading a forum post that Sailun tires are the go to brand. So I went to their web site but did not find a trailer tire in that size. Got me thinking that maybe my installed tired are not the right ones. Haven't found the manufacturers recommended size. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks, Friz
The right tire size for your particular (if un-modified) trailer is found on your trailer's tire placard.

If you want an experienced, educated, experts advice I'll point you in the right direction to here. It's a one stop tire education school so-to-speak. Spoiler alert: the author is a tire engineer.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No need to get bogged down in amateur legal interpretation. It appears frizfreleng has the right size tires. He didn't mention ST vs LT, but odds are heavy that he has the ST type and probably should stick with that. About the only downside is that they likely have a 65 mph max speed, which may or may not be compatible with the weight of his right foot.

I don't find a Sailun in that size, but Maxxis has one and they are also an excellent trailer tire. It's a Load Range C, though, so verify that the max loading in pounds is sufficient (the Cougar brochure indicates Yes).

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M8008-.../dp/B004QL6I00
I am looking for an ST tire. Thanks for the link. It takes you to the Maxxis TL15700000 on Amazon. That is a 6 ply, 1820lbs for $92. Underneath it is a link to the TL15703000 for $86! That is an 8 ply, 2150 lbs. Those are specs I got off the Maxxis web site. Also the speed range for both tires is either Q (100 mph) or R (106 mph). Far above any other tire I compared. While I am at it, what affect or advantage does a higher speed range give? I tow at no more that 60 mph.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
The right tire size for your particular (if un-modified) trailer is found on your trailer's tire placard.
That is as true today as it was when the trailer was built.

Adding a load range (C-D) to the original tire size on the certification label is not a change in tire size. It's the same designated size as the OE tire, it just has the ability to carry more weight. Both use the same load inflation chart and carry the identical weight at 50 PSI.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
I am looking for an ST tire. Thanks for the link. It takes you to the Maxxis TL15700000 on Amazon. That is a 6 ply, 1820lbs for $92. Underneath it is a link to the TL15703000 for $86! That is an 8 ply, 2150 lbs. Those are specs I got off the Maxxis web site. Also the speed range for both tires is either Q (100 mph) or R (106 mph). Far above any other tire I compared. While I am at it, what affect or advantage does a higher speed range give? I tow at no more that 60 mph.
Did you find those Maxxis ST tire speeds written or otherwise described on the individual tires?

Publishing them and certifying them are two different things. If a speed rating is not on the individual tire, the TRA says they are 65 MPH tires.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2002 Keystone 278EFS. You will want to stick with 15" tires; Sailun is 16" and the swap to 16" hubs/rims isn't worth it. I use Carlisle Radial HD ST225/75-15 LRE. I buy my tires at Discount Tires mostly. They also carry Maaxis and Goodyear Endurance and both are great tires but must be ordered in at my particular store where the Carlisle are in stock. I won't try an dazzle you with a bunch of technical stuff but Keystone questions are well suited for Keystoneforums.com and there is a TON of tire expertise and Keystone specific expertise on that site.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Did you find those Maxxis ST tire speeds written or otherwise described on the individual tires?

Publishing them and certifying them are two different things. If a speed rating is not on the individual tire, the TRA says they are 65 MPH tires.
Have not been able to actually see a Maxxis tire yet. Maxxis lists lots of dealers but of the 4 I have contacted none carry the tire in stock - special order. As I said, the specs came from the Maxxis company web site itself. That should be somewhat credible. I will probably go ahead and order them from the Amazon vendor. Have not looked at the return policy. $86 delivered is a good price. Not sure what you mean by "certifying". Are you meaning to say actually eyeballing the speed range on the tire?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post

If you want an experienced, educated, experts advice I'll point you in the right direction to here. It's a one stop tire education school so-to-speak. Spoiler alert: the author is a tire engineer.
The placard on mine is worn and mostly illegible. Thanks for the link. Impressive. It is in my bookmarks.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #23

My Maxxis ST 225/75R15 have a D load rating, and a speed rating of 75
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #24

Correction.....Maritons have the above specs
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #25

Quote:
The placard on mine is worn and mostly illegible. Thanks for the link. Impressive. It is in my bookmarks.
Your welcome. With mine tire size information is also found on a spec sheet inside the trailer. Yours may be as well. Look inside all your cabinets.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My Maxxis ST 225/75R15 have a D load rating, and a speed rating of 75

Can you show us a picture of the Maxxis sidewall with that speed rating on it?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #27

See post 24
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Have not been able to actually see a Maxxis tire yet. Maxxis lists lots of dealers but of the 4 I have contacted none carry the tire in stock - special order. As I said, the specs came from the Maxxis company web site itself. That should be somewhat credible. I will probably go ahead and order them from the Amazon vendor. Have not looked at the return policy. $86 delivered is a good price. Not sure what you mean by "certifying". Are you meaning to say actually eyeballing the speed range on the tire? Yes!
Maxxis ST tire warranty coverage dates from the date of manufacturer found on the tire sidewall. Most other tires warranty starts from date of purchase.

I've seen posts where it's been reported Maxxis tires to be over a year old when purchased from a mail order house.

Probably the most reliable mail order for them, age wise, will come from "Discount Tire Direct". I'm pretty sure they will also match any other price lower than theirs.

Tags
tires