Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires- Goodyear

I bought 2 Goodyear Tires last July at Camping World. I paid $655.00 per tire, this included balancing, taxes and any other fees that they charged. I called on May 1, 2012 for a price on 4 more tires (time to do the duels) and was told $729.00 a piece out the door. On May 18, 2012 I called to make an appointment and was told the price of the tires were now $811.00. I have not had the tires put on. Have tires really gone up that much ($150.00) in less than 1 year? Oh, these tires are Goodyear G670 RV 295/80R 22.5 Load Range H.

1clickaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
You can find a much better tire than the 670 for that kind of price plus the fact that Camping World is no great deal

dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
I just replaced my R280 Bridgestone with new ones 295R75-22.5 load range H for $3376.00. The last ones were outstanding but were 7 years old. The dealer gave me $125 per tire, to resell for trailer tires.
Gary & Sandy Wilson
2008 Mountain Aire 4523
Des Moines Ia
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Tires flucuate all over the place for sure.. The prices change weekly like the price of gasoline but hey, that's what they are made of...oil.

I have always thought Goodyear tires were over rated. You are paying a lot of extra cash for a name. I have ran a few of them but I found Michelins gave me better milage & had a tougher sidewalls. The Goodyears seemed to be made of a softer compound and stuck to the road nicely and were smooth tires.. but I could only manage a little more than 1/2 the miles I got with the Michelins..

The other cheapo tires are just that.. cheapo. If you don't travel far they seem to work allright. Around town city type driving is where they can't keep up. With me the twists and turns ate them up. The outside edges would wear right down fast. If they wore enough to start to cup on the highway you are done for. There is no bringing a cupping tire back into balence short of shaving all it's tread off!

I HIGHLY recomend a pair of those Centromatic wheel balencers! They will extend tire life & keep your tires and axle running smoothly. I swear by them now.. Well worth the investment, expecially if you do a lot of highway traveling. Tires are a pain in the butt! Catching problems early. CHECK those tires daily (WITH a GUAGE, U CAN NOT tell a tire is down 10-20 lbs. by kicking it!) Keep them properly inflated.
Scott, Suzanne, & Sheba (German Shepard <long hair)..
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Horn, DRW, longbed, 4x4, 4:10rear, pullrite 25.5K hitch.
Shopping for that just right 5th wheel..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I dunno.....

There is no balance but a spin balance.
But my dealer doesn't do that anymore, so i have eqaul this time.

And anything but goodyear or michelin is a "cheapo' tire?
Come on, give me a freaking break.
I've had toyos, and they were great. Bridgestone is a good tire. This time i'm tedyoing sumitomo, i bet they give me 5 solid years.
Goodyear and michelin are way over rated....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
To answer the OP's original question, yes tire prices have risen rapidly recently. Oil prices, as well as, rubber prices at record highs, long term effects from the Chinese tire tariff, and reported shortages due to increased demand for specialty tires eating manufacturing capacity are given as reasons in publications for fleet managers.

When we were looking for tires last year, we found prices varied geographically a lot. We were traveling from FL through GA/KY/TN/OH/IN and MI and called dealers on the route. Prices for identical tires were 35% less expensive in IN than in FL.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Originally Posted by 1clickaway View Post
I bought 2 Goodyear Tires last July at Camping World. I paid $655.00 per tire, this included balancing, taxes and any other fees that they charged. I called on May 1, 2012 for a price on 4 more tires (time to do the duels) and was told $729.00 a piece out the door. On May 18, 2012 I called to make an appointment and was told the price of the tires were now $811.00. I have not had the tires put on. Have tires really gone up that much ($150.00) in less than 1 year? Oh, these tires are Goodyear G670 RV 295/80R 22.5 Load Range H.
Hi 1clickaway,

You state that these prices were EACH?????? It would be plenty if it were out the door for 2 tires. I bought 6 new Dayton 295-75-22.5 December 09, out the door, all taxes and extras $2030. base price was $295. each. Yes tires are up from that now, but Camping world prices are terrible.
Goodyear?? I have had good service on cars and motorcycles, but NO NO NO truck type tires for me, side walls are weak and tread life is poor. Michelin is fine, but very expensive and paying for the name. If I bough Michelin I would be looking for extreme long tread life. Tread life is not a concern on an RV and I think Michelin will deteriorate just like any other tire, Ask them about expected life in terms of years.. They tell you to have a professional tire man expect them every year after 5 years. On 18 wheelers we never would run a casing past 4 years. I am a retired cross country trucker. I had a small fleet of 18 wheelers. I would expect to get 125,000 miles on steer tires and 250,000 to 300,000 on the drive axel. I know that looks backwards in common sense that those that did the pulling would last twice as long. Firestone, Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokohoma are all good tires. I sure would not be a Camping World tire customer. Good wishes, old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
CW is going to price themselves out of business as is Goodyear.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

I Purchased six GY 295 80/R22.5 for $611.00 each. Dismounted and mounted, balanced the steel wheels useing traditional weights and used equal for the aluminum wheels. GY and Michilen are very good tires, been useing both many years on fire apparatus. Getting back to the prices, they were purchased in March 2012. The tire dealer now states they are $50.00 more per tire. So I guess the gas and fuel prices effect everything from tires to bread and milk.

Ron, NJ ase/evt
rrs-ase-evt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires prices have been rapidly increasing over the past year and continue to increase. And Michelins are even more than GY G670's. Plus, the 295/80 size you need is pretty much an motorhome only tire, so they are made in low volume and there is not much price competition, as there would be if lots of truckers used that size.

You may be able to substitute the 11R22.5 tire for the 295/80. It is essentially identical is size but has a slightly lower load capacity. The 11R is a widely used tire and sells for much less than the 295/80 - probably $150 less each. I put 4 Continental 11R22.5's on my rear axle, which is limited to 20k lbs anyway (5k/tire), but would not use them on the front where I need 7300 lbs/tire.

Comparing the price of a 295/80 to a 295/75 is meaningless. Strictly apples and oranges, because a 295/75 is not a substitute.

You can probably do better than CW prices on tires, though. I buy mine through a commercial tire shop.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
1clickaway - My experience is that there are number of good makers of tires for RVs. In the past 6-7 years I have owned Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, and Firestone. I have had no problems with any of those. I would suggest finding a tire dealer that specializes in OTR (over the road) big truck tires and call them for prices. The best is if you can find a tire dealer that sells lots of them. That way you should be able to get fresh ones. I personally prefer tires made for trucks and not RV specific tires. I think truck tires are sturdier.

B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote