RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

Tires... How hot is too hot?

In another tread I asked about tpms. Many of the folks keep a watch on their tires by tire temperature. Not wanting to chase this rabbit on the other thread and not know anything about tire temps I ask the question how hot is too hot to begin worrying about the tire wheel etc?

rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

I've been told the 160 deg F is the critical temperature where rubber starts to beak down.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Not wanting to chase this rabbit on the other thread
I know what you're saying about chasing those wasky ol' wabbit trails. I'm certainly not an expert on tire temps, but from all what I've read and experienced, including my TPMS manufacturer, most TPMS manufacturers set their high temp alarm—I believe—at around 155 or so as default. You shouldn't have any problem, especially if your tires are in good shape, cold pressure PSI is set correctly according to your weight and are not out of DOT date.

It's normal—especially in the summer time—for tires to increase 10-15 degrees or maybe a little more above "cold pressure" once under way. (with proper cold pressure PSI set at the beginning)

If you want to read everything you ever wanted to know about tires, go here:
RV Tire Safety

And yes, I'm one of those who watch my tires on my MH and toad like a hawk, but I watch PSI not temp. If any tire gets out of range I'll see it or the alarm goes OFF.

Good luck my friend.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #5

How hot is the asphalt?

How much weight are tires carrying?

Are all tires on same side showing same temps (close to)?

Does one tire run hotter? THAT is the one to investigate WHY
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

And yes, I'm one of those who watch my tires on my MH and toad like a hawk, but I watch PSI not temp. If any tire gets out of range I'll see it or the alarm goes OFF.

Good luck my friend.
Watching temps can let you see a pending bearing failure easier than watching psi IMO so I monitor both and watch for one tire that is different then the rest.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Watching temps can let you see a pending bearing failure easier than watching psi IMO so I monitor both and watch for one tire that is different then the rest.
Yeah good point and yes I do monitor the temps for the same reason I just didn't mention it. Mainly because it's things like that (adding additional info) that cause some of these threads to go off into these endless, scientific, engineering arguments that has no end and quite frankly drive me nuts. I've learned to try to just answer the OP's question and not much more. That's just me.

But, all in all, I really keep my eye on all my PSI readings.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

You should consider that most TPMS's do not monitor the "tire" temperature. They monitor the temperature at the end of the valve stem which is rotating in free ambient air. So you never really get a valid measure of the temperature of the tire rubber or air within the tire.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #9

I would get yourself a very good IFR (infrared) heat gun, expect to pay between $50 and $90. The cheaper IFR heat guns have a higher +/- range on temps than the middle level price IFR heat guns and are not as accurate.

I check my tires when towing at every stop about two hours between stops. My tire temps between front and rear tires on the same side never vary by more than 3F between them. Which to me is normal. The tires in the sun side will be about 10 to 15F higher than the shade side of the trailer.

Once you establish a baseline than you know if you deviate form that baseline that you need to take action before tire failure. I have been towing this way for 40+ years and I have never had a tire failure when checking my tires this way.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #10

I check my tires when towing at every stop about two hours between stops

Just for conversation sake, about what temps do you see when you check it?
charliez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is worthless to debate any specific temperature because there are numerous variables, not the least of which is tire construction & materials, but also pressure and loading. The value in temperature monitoring is to spot changes and trends, not in some artificial limit. If your tires typically run at 140 on a hot summer day, and you notice one of them is 160, you most likely have a problem that needs to be investigated further. The tire itself is still fine, but you may have a bad bearing or hung brake caliper or shoe.

A rule of thumb might be that anything over 50 degrees above ambient is sufficient reason to investigate for possible causes. The tire isn't really in danger at, say 150 on a 100 degree day, but it's worth keeping a closer eye on it and maybe checking the brake & bearings in the near future.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

I think it is worthless to debate any specific temperature

For conversation sake....I'm curious. I don't care about what conditions may be affecting anything.
charliez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My TPMS measures both PSI and temp. I read them and process the information based on the current conditions, weather, load etc.

When we stop for a break, I use the old hand check method to make sure things are calm around the tires and wheels.

I could see myself chasing this around and around like a dog chasing it's tail. So now I just relax and let the devices and my experience take over.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I think it is worthless to debate any specific temperature

For conversation sake....I'm curious. I don't care about what conditions may be affecting anything.
The highest I have seen is 120 degrees on the sunny side and 95 on the shded side. That is in Florida running 60 MPH in the heat of the day. That's mine.

h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires