Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Have you priced out new rims? Sometimes they are not that much more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Just Google "Tire calculators", and you will find several websites with tire size calculators. This should allow you to determine what cross section tire on a 16 in. rim will be the same overall diameter as one on a 16 1/2 in rim. BTW, the different wheel mountings are called "Hub-Centric" and "Bolt-Centric" to determine how the load is distributed on the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimecole View Post
Hi, I recently purchased my first RV, a "vintage" 1986 Mallard Sprinter 24' mini motor home, model 220-RK, on a Chevy G-30 DRW 10,500 GVRW chassis. I too have the agonizing task of finding tires. I have been told that replacing the 16.5" rims with 16" rims is the best way to go. They would have to be from a GM DRW vehicle, 8x6.5 lug pattern, and have a 4.56" center hole. I believe that is what my 16.5" spare wheel has. Also the tire diameter is critical due to ride height and speedometer accuracy. I want to verify all these facts, find an auto salvage yard that has appropriately sized rims, and then find some appropriately sized tires... who would have thought all this for a 26 year old motorhome...
IF there is any more pertinent information available or necessary to make my decision, I would greatly appreciate it... thanks

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is room I'd rather go UP in size than Down, However since this is a motor vehicle, not a trailer, the procedure is the same.... I'll give both

Trailr, new rims and tires. Job done.

Vehicle with speedometer.

you will need to re-calabrate the speedometer, depending on the type this may require changing a pair of gears in the tail of the transmission or, it may be a simple computer "Flash" A speedometer shop can easily do the job for you.. If you are anywhere near a big sity (100 thousand or more) they are sure to have one, a smaller one MAY have one.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I would suggest another important thing to do is to ensure that whatever tires you get is that they have the load capacity as well as provide proper clearances.

Rather than use generic tire calculators it would be better to use the specification sheet from the tire manufacturer. There you will get complete and more accurate dimensions as well as be able to confirm the load capacity.
Since you undertook the task of rebuilding and modifying a vehicle you will need to ensure you provide sufficient load capacity in the tire size and Load Range selection so to help avoid tire problems. The wheel offset will dictate the maximum tire width and you will find the spec for the "minimum dual spacing" in the manufacturers load/inflation and dimension sheets.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #19

This is good advice. My earlier recommendation to use on-line tire size calculators will certainly provide tire size information, but you must address weight capacity and dual spacing to get complete specifications for your tire/wheel size change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I would suggest another important thing to do is to ensure that whatever tires you get is that they have the load capacity as well as provide proper clearances.

Rather than use generic tire calculators it would be better to use the specification sheet from the tire manufacturer. There you will get complete and more accurate dimensions as well as be able to confirm the load capacity.
Since you undertook the task of rebuilding and modifying a vehicle you will need to ensure you provide sufficient load capacity in the tire size and Load Range selection so to help avoid tire problems. The wheel offset will dictate the maximum tire width and you will find the spec for the "minimum dual spacing" in the manufacturers load/inflation and dimension sheets.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, regarding the rims... The things you need to match, EXACTLY are the center hole diamater, the bolt circle diamater, bolt hole diamater and the number of bolts (NOTE teh bolt circle diamater may be specified as lug spacing)

The odds are the 16" and 16.5" are the same. Best suggestion is to measure the spacing center to center on two adjecent lugs, and measure the diamater of the center hole. Compare them.

Next, the lug covers,, You can get those after market You may have to work a bit to attach it but you can get them..

Next the different tire diamater... You will need to have the speedometer re-calbrated.

Recommendation: IF, and I stress IF you have the clearances needed, go UP not down on tire size.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On this site Tire size calculator to a tire size calculator that I was pointed to when I was planning on resizing the rims on my Diplomat. There is a 16 inch diameter tire out there that exactly duplicates the tread diameter of my 16.5 present tires.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #22

WA8YXM de [ex] KN8BZE I am looking at, and pricing, 16" dually rims now in my area at auto salvage yards... the GM Dually HD rims I need will have 8 x 6.5" lug bolt pattern with the 4.65" center hole. after i get the rims, the tires I want to get will be Load rating E, and width and profile to be proper dually clearances and as close to the original equipment tire height of 28.4" overall as i can get... this will keep me from needing to "fix" the speedometer, or the wheel wells...
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
On this site Tire size calculator to a tire size calculator that I was pointed to when I was planning on resizing the rims on my Diplomat. There is a 16 inch diameter tire out there that exactly duplicates the tread diameter of my 16.5 present tires.
Curious how you used the calculator to match a 16.5 rim size.

BTW what was your old size and what was the new size?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I goofed and posted the wrong calculator. The one I used was
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecal...?action=submit
I ended up storing the unit and haven't needed to change over the tires yet but we have everything we need when we do. I just cannot remember which 16" tire we settled on for the eventual change but I do remember the tire diameter was almost identical.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflymin View Post
Well, I've got this 1990 Class C....just bought it in April, and have been working on it...very slowly, as time allows.....I just called the tire shop to get a quote on new tires for this rig.....and was told that the 16.5s are very hard to find, and I checked on this and Sam's forum, and sure enough....other posts have indicated that this is true....So; today, I went to the junk yard and found 7- 16 rims, plus the "simulator" covers...Here's the questions.....first ,3 of the rims have holes in the area where you would put your hand through to put the air pressure gauge that are large, and match up to the simulator holes....the rest of the rims have smaller holes, but the valve stem can still be accessed.... they all have the correct 8 holes for the lugs.....then I noticed that the one front wheel simulator has 9 or 10 bolt covers....Can I use it anyways, as they really are not covering the bolts anyways.....Or am I completely needing to rethink this whole process? I'm so confused and disappointed, as I spent alot of time at the u-pick junk yard, in the heat, and thought that I had everything that I needed...just wanted to make this switch smoothly.... In summary, does it really matter on the rims as long as they are all 16s .....and since you cannot see all the rim covers at once, does it really matter that the bolt covers have 8 on one side and 9 or 10 on the other? Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks....
In the future it would help if you provided the complete tire size and Load Range that was OE on the RV. All I have seen here is talk about rims and tire OD. You also need to select new tires that can carry the load. You probably need at least LT245/75R16 LRE to get close and even these are under the load capacity.

The size calculator site may seem easy bit it doesn't allow you to enter the correct 8.75R16.5 or 9.50R16.5 original size. The second calculator does list some tire lines that are out of date so you could waste some time looking for a tire that does not exist.

With more information I and others may be able to offer better answers.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #26

Rickson wheels builds larger sized upgrade rims for motorhomes,
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #27

not sure who is talking to whom...?
The Original Contributer "fireflymin" has not been on since july 2011....
I added a post to the thread this past month with a similar question...
... my OEM tires are LT 8.00 R 16.5, 8ply, Load Rating D with 60PSI...
... 3 different sources say the tire height/diameter is between 28.3" and 28.5"
... on my '86 Mallard Sprinter 22' on a Chevy G3 HD chassis, DRW, 10,500 GVWR.
... some very good information about tires and rims for my vehicle at the Truck Forum on this thread: Need to Replace 16.5 x 6.00 rims on '86 G30 10,500 Dually - Page 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV MFD BY sticker [auto balanced].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	30876  

Tags
tires