Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Exclamation Tires vs rims

Dealer sold me H rated tires to replace my F rated original tires. Max psi on old tires (original) was 85. New tires have a max 120 psi. Have not had it out yet so don't know how the ride will be. also am worried about what the max psi the rims are rated at. Motorhome is a 2004,28 ft., allegro. Ford F53 V10. Can't find placard on vehicle giving me this info. Any comments on tires or information? on the rims
lovenlif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry. I prefer tires rated to carry more weight and rims are typically under rated for what they can actually carry.

No problem.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will have to go by the pressure stamped on the wheel or maybe Ford can tell you. Do not exceed that pressure under any circumstances as it can break a wheel. I had that happen to two wheels on our '88 Type B MH. Only cured the problem by going to Alcoa rims.
Basically that means you can't use the add'l capacity of the higher rated tires since you can't use the higher pressure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Tires do not need to be inflated to the max psi. Have your RV weighed, and use the tire manufacturers load tables to determine the pressure for the tires. At max pressure the ride may be harsh. The pressure shown in the tables is the minimum required to support the weight listed.

FWIW- My previous MH originally had 22.5 inch load range G tires which required 105 psi based on the MH weight. Going to a 22.5 inch tire load range H tire, only required 85-90 psi to support the same weight because of the increased load capacity of the tire.
The difference in load capacity is shown on the sidewall at the max inflation pressure.

http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets..._Inflation.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't worry about the tire max pressure, since it is very unlikely you will need it. Or even come close. Get your axle weight ratings and look up the actual tire pressure needed in the tire manufacturer tables. If the tire is the same size as the originals, the recommended pressure is going to be the same or very close to that of the F-rated tire. The H can safely go higher than the F, but it doesn't need to.

I hope the dealer didn't charge you extra for the carrying capacity you likely didn't need. I can see maybe going from F to G if the F was only marginally adequate, but jumping up to H seems like a big step.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manufacturers typically match the wheels and tires, so if your OEM tires were rated for 85 psi then chances are the wheels are also rated for 85 psi. The wheel rating is usually stamped on the inside of the wheel so you would need to dismount the tire to find it.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Tires vs rims

To make it simple, in MOST cases an "H" rated tire will carry the same weight at the same pressure as an "F" rated tire in the same size.

I agree going from a "F" to an "H" is gigantic jump!

I this case I would politely disagree with Hooligan. Michelin does have some tires that don't fit the norm, but that is usually euro standards not RMA.

Do not lower your air pressure from your manufacturers specs until you know what the coach weighs (at least front and rear axle) and get the tire manufacturers load capacity chart. Then you could adjust accordingly if you wish.

I would bet your rim won't handle 120 psi if it is the OE wheel. OE just doesn't over kill like that.

All the above is just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #8

tires vs rims

Thanks everyone for the posts. Am running the H rated tires at 90lbs which will more than carry my weight. OE tires were 85lbs max and I am banking that the rims would have to have a safety factor of a least 10lbs over the 85lbs max tire pressure or the lawyers would have a field day. If the ride is too rough I can still go to 85lbs and still be ok according to the toyo load and pressure chart. Thanks again.

Bob
lovenlif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenlif View Post
Thanks everyone for the posts. Am running the H rated tires at 90lbs which will more than carry my weight. OE tires were 85lbs max and I am banking that the rims would have to have a safety factor of a least 10lbs over the 85lbs max tire pressure or the lawyers would have a field day. If the ride is too rough I can still go to 85lbs and still be ok according to the toyo load and pressure chart. Thanks again.

Bob
I would not recommend running more PSI then the rim is stamped that it will support. (If I read your post correctly.)

I would get a four corner weight fully fueled up and loaded for travel. Consult the tire manufacturers PSI chart for that specific tire and load range, and use that as a baseline. I add 5 psi more on top of the recommended value, as a safety margin and for in case I do not get to check PSI on a regular basis.

I also agree that very seldom will a higher rated load range, and in this case with a two step up, not be safe to use the lower range tire's PSI setting. (So, if you were running 85psi before, then that would be safe to do so with the higher load range tires.)

Best to you, and please be very careful on PSI in relation to rim's Max Pressure ratings.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires