Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Tires with 1/2" designations (ex: 191/2"

My new coach has 19 1/2" Continental tires. I went today to purchase spare and lo and behold was told by this major tire store that they will not mount any brand with a 1/2" designation as there are to many documented failures. None of my pre-purchase investigation brought up anything related to tires falling in this category as being a consideration for not purchasing a particular brand coach. I then called our companies primary road service company and was shocked to hear that they won't air up a tire in this category due to pressure issues and high blow out statistics. Comments?? I won't name the specific national tire chain by name but I have never been able to get a discount from them that I'm aware of.
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #2

So what you are saying that a 19.5 tire will not be mounted by them. That's ridiculous.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem is that some tire people don't know the difference between a 19.5" and a 19" tire and try to mount them on the wrong rim especially if it has a split rim. People have been killed by the resulting explosion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Mr. D- I presume that the 1/2" has the split rim that your refering 2?
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Any tire with the .5 in the size (i.e. 16.5, 19.5, 22.5, 24.5) are tubeless tires and should never be used on a split rim. I've know shops that wouldn't mount or air up split rims because of the danger of the tire blowing off the rim but not tubeless. I can see a road service not wanting to air up a tubeless since if they are low enough (doesn't take much) or have gone flat, they need to be broken from the rim and the bead reseated which is a chore without the right equipment. I drove and reinflated 16.5s for several years without problems on an old F350. I have seated and inflated 22.5s with nothing more than an air compressor and a bead expander made of some sturdy rope and a piece of pipe (the contraption is technically known as a Spanish Windlass although there are more colorful names for it, most involving the word "redneck"). It worked but it was a chore.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The problem is that some tire people don't know the difference between a 19.5" and a 19" tire and try to mount them on the wrong rim especially if it has a split rim. People have been killed by the resulting explosion.
I have never heard of a 19" or a 19.5" split rim. There is a 16.5" split rim. The 16" solid rim replaced it 30 plus years ago.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #7

ToledoCharli, 19.5 tires are a common tire on many medium duty commercial vehicles. As the other posters said 19.5, 22.5 24.5 are tubless tires any good truck tire shop is equiped to properly mount these tires, if not they would not be around long. Tube type tires are just about the way of the west.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
you need to go to a good truck tire shop and get mounted. never heard of such a thing. guess some places make too much money and are doing real good and don't want to be bother with RV's. way too funny.

Outlaw
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, a song writer told you what to do back a long time ago, The title: My Mamma Told me, To Do the Shop Around.

Shop elsewhere.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
The last set of 16.5 tires I bought for my 1982 Midas Class C were from a national tire chain with no "discounts" available. That was 4 years ago. Never heard of a bias against .5 before............

Just comply with this guy's request. He told you he did not want your business..............You do not want him to give you the business either.............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
If his concern is split rims, that's one thing. The 1/2" size designation is another. My 5th wheel has 17.5" aluminum wheels fitted with Michelin XTA tubeless radial trailer-specific tires, and I see no difference in rim design, mounting difficulties or dangers, etc. between these 17.5" wheels and tires and the 16" wheels and tires they replaced.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires