Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Title madness

This absolute madness.

I'm trying to get my new RV home but can't because the dealer can't get the title correct. He blames the state, I blame them and the state.

I have a 2015 Coachman Encounter 37LS.

The first title came through as a 2015 Coachmen Mirada 35LS. The reason for that is another story, basically we changed models and they didn't change paperwork completely.
OK, just get the title back from the bank and get Mirada changed to Encounter and 35LS to 37LS
Title ends up being Encounter Encounter 35LS.
Title has to come back from the bank again. I want it to read Coachmen Encounter.
This time the state says they can't put Coachmen in as the Make. The Ohio titles have 4 areas, Make, Make Description, Model and Model Description.
So, it should be Coachmen, Encounter, 37LS, blank
The state and the dealer are saying that the make is Encounter. Coachmen didn't "make" the unit. The dealer also reminded me that Forest River bought Coachmen, to that I said it doesn't matter. I talked to the state BMV and they disagree with the title bureau that the dealer is using. They had me tell them to call the county help desk to get it corrected. That opened up a huge mess. They still wouldn't list Coachmen as the make even though on the first run of the title they did. The only way they would do it is with a letter from Forest River confirming that Coachmen is in fact a manufacturer and should be listed as possible make. To add more insult to this whole mess, the dealer said that if I looked my unit up in NADA I wouldn't find it under Coachmen, it would be under Encounter. I gave up at that. I checked NADA, they have 2 Coachmens, one is Coachmen and the other is Coachmen by Forest River.

How does your title read? Am I being too picky here? I bought a Coachmen Encounter, the bank papers say that, the insurance says that, why can't the title?

Thanks
Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Time to get the finance company/bank involved. If the title does not accurately describe the MH, what happens when your are involved in a collision and the other parties insurance company must pay? Perhaps the main items are the correct VIN, year of mfgr., and model???
I had to have Camping World correct our title before it was issued because they got the wrong model on the paperwork. Told the financial guy at CW I was withholding my money until I saw a correct title submission form. Money speaks louder than words in some cases.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Call your Secretary of State. That is what they are there for.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Time to get the finance company/bank involved. If the title does not accurately describe the MH, what happens when your are involved in a collision and the other parties insurance company must pay? Perhaps the main items are the correct VIN, year of mfgr., and model???
I had to have Camping World correct our title before it was issued because they got the wrong model on the paperwork. Told the financial guy at CW I was withholding my money until I saw a correct title submission form. Money speaks louder than words in some cases.
That's exactly my argument. My title does not match the bank paperwork and the insurance company. It can't be that way. I guess I'll be talking to the bank next.
This was a huge purchase for us, we planned it for a while and this just takes all the fun and excitement out of it.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryInMaine View Post
Call your Secretary of State. That is what they are there for.
Go to them for the title bureau or the dealer?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What did the Manufacturers Statement of Origin say?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIlBoy View Post
What did the Manufacturers Statement of Origin say?
Boy did you open a can of worms . Dealer never gave us a copy of the MSO. When the first title went south I called the title bureau in an attempt to figure out what happend and why. They faxed me everything they had, which had the MSO for the chassis and coach. The first time around they got Mirada on the title from the odometer statement even though every single piece of paperwork said Encounter. .

Looking at the MSO, it says Forest River at the top of the page. Looking at make, it shows Encounter, Model shows Encounter and Type is 37LS. No Coachmen anywhere.

So, I'm wrong, I think. I didn't buy a Coachmen, I bought an Encounter? Does this now actually go all the way back to Forest River? How do I tell the bank and insurance company that I don't own a Coachmen but an Encounter? Do I have to get a new MSO for the coach?

What a mess.

Thanks, I think, of course.

Fred
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #8

They can be very helpfull with title problems. I had a very similar problem, went on for weeks. One phone call to our secretary of state and it was solved within 24 hours. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a similar problem when we purchased our unit a little over a year ago. We purchased the Coachmen Pursuit 30BDP by Miranda. DVM had no problems it was the insurance company that was nuts. They insisted that it have the letter F added to the model info. This made it a 30BDPF not a 30BDP. No were on any paperwork did it have this F listed. The insurance company said it was to indicate a Ford chassis and that had to be on the paperwork. I believe our title says Coachmen/Miranda, Pursuit 30BDPF to make ever one happy.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
So here's the latest. Dealer is sticking to the line that Coachmen didn't make the unit, it is made by Encounter which is not listed in NADA. They said that if I want the MSO changed it will take at least 8 weeks because of the state of Ohio not Forest River. Why so long, I don't know. What I'd like to know is who creates the MSO? It has to be Forest River, right? What does the state have to do with the MSO? We're supposed to pick the unit up Saturday, I have no title and no plates. I may have to talk to the bank, see what their take is on this.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
. I may have to talk to the bank
It pains me no end to say this but it seems to me it's more like the time to talk with a lawyer if you want the title like you want it, or the lawyer may just tell you someone else is right.

It's going to cost you money just having it sit there without a plate and you can't use it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Just changed an Iowa title to a WI title. Neither title states Newmar or Dutch Star or motorhome, both stated Spartan (the chassis) for vehicle description. I questioned the DMV and they said it is the chassis they title. Double checked with insurance agent and all is good to go as long as the VIN is correct. Seemed strange to me but I guess I have a Spartan motorhome..Good luck with your title correction sounds like a real nightmare.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It pains me no end to say this but it seems to me it's more like the time to talk with a lawyer if you want the title like you want it, or the lawyer may just tell you someone else is right.

It's going to cost you money just having it sit there without a plate and you can't use it.
And I agree. I'm getting no where, there's no reasoning with the so called "experts"

Here's where it ends for now. They redid the title. They say the state can't use Coachmen in the make field because Coachmen isn't who made it. Coachmen goes into the Make Description field instead. For model they put in 37 instead of 37LS50 (the 50 is new, it's a 50th anniversary edition) because the full model wouldn't fit. For Model Description they put Encounter in.

What has my other half concerned is that they used a field called Conversion to put the full model in. She's worried that the insurance company may take that to mean that this is a conversion van or unit of some type which they don't cover. I said the VIN will cover us, if not a lawyer will.

All we want to do is get our beast home. Get to know it. Pack it, hit the road.
This is our first class A, we're looking forward to the adventures ahead.

Thanks again everyone.

Fred
Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #14

Have you talked to your insurance agent? They should be able to pull the vin up and see if there might be any problems. You might be getting upset for nothing. As long as the insurance company has no problem with it, it should be fine.