Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

To Bring a Motorcycle or Not??

Hello

I recently purchased a very cool Dynamax Isata 3...24 foot Sprinter Bodied RV. I took it out to a desert campground near Phoenix for a few days on a "shake out" run. I'm an RV rook.

I bought the coach because I am planning to travel the Pacific Northwest, Canadian and US Rockies for 3 months(June-August). Mostly, I plan to be mountain biking, road biking, hiking, rock climbing and learning to kite surf (up in Oregon).

My Coach is small enough that I figured I could essentially use it as a car when needed to run errands and such....BUT, maybe an adventure bike might be more fun and open my trip up to even more possibilities? KTM Adventure 1090 as an example.

Anyone out there kind of doing this? Do I need/want another vehicle? Pros/Cons? Is it a PIA loading/unloading a 500lbs bike onto a rack?

Thanks for your help!

Doc Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	201663  
docjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Only you know how much of an adventure you want to make each trip. If you're travelling by yourself, are you intending to go off road with the bike by yourself....a safety issue.

Second, I don't think your coach will handle a 500 pound bike and 100-150 pound rack. You might have to go to a small trailer that could put a crimp in your style.

Maybe something smaller like a scooter that would be good for some nearby exploring and a grocery getter.

Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

I think you would love having a motorcycle to add to the fun of your adventure. Whether exploring backroads you don’t want to take the coach down or just having a nice camp set up and wanting to go into town for a quart of milk, a moto really helps.
But, as the previous poster said, your hitch and a rack likely won’t support too much weight. I am guessing the hitch on your coach is rated for no more than about 300 pounds of tongue weight. If you want to carry on a hitch mounted rack I would suggest a scooter or a smaller dual sport. I carry a Kawasaki KLX 250. It weighs 250 pounds and is a pretty durable small adventure bike. With the rack and the geometry of the bike being a foot or more away from where a hitch ball normally is, that is even pushing the specs. You can always pull a small trailer but it may ruin the nimbleness of your small coach.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

An alternate means of 'transportation' is a good plan

What that should be will be determined by MHs tow/weight rating/capabilities

Hassle of loading/unloading can only be compared to breaking/setting up camp in order to use MH as transportation
Personally I would rather leave MH parked/set up and hassle with the alt. means of transportation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

I wholeheartedly agree with all the above. The smallest mishap can cause a motor home breakdown, no matter how new or old the coach is or, how large or small one is. So, having alternate transportation, to us, is A MUST! Now, with all that "B.S." being said, your choice of a m/c is fine. Now, how to bring it along, is the question. As has been stated, the ability for your particular m/h to take on the task carrying a heavier m/c on a rack, on the back of the m/h, is not a very good idea. I've hauled m/c's all kinds of ways, with various coaches.

And, having all that kind of experience, for what it's worth, my advice to you would be to grab a small motorcycle trailer and haul your bike, of any size that way. You'll solve any potential additional weight issues by letting the trailer do the work. All you'll have potentially is a tad bit of tongue weight. A small m/c trailer is not all that long either so, getting into about 98% of the available campsites is no big deal. The only issue you might have is, if you're alloted a "back-in" site. You'll have to deal with that.

But, as I see it, that's the primary way out of your situation and, allows for alternate transportation for any given situation. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #6

I say if you can safely bring a bike bring it! I love having a 5th wheel, but hate that I don't have a truck bed for motorcycles.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Your MH can indeed be used for everyday errands and sightseeing. The downside is that every time you want to go somewhere you have to pack everything up and put it all out when you get back. It can become a hassle. If you can carry the bike by all means it will make it all easier and more fun. Also it's easier to find a parking place for a bike then a MH. Especially in towns.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Keep in mind that the Pacific Northwest gets rain.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

Great idea. If you get too much weight with that bike you can haul a Yamaha tt200 big tire. It can go 65 mph and is very light.
Good luck
Old 05-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

Yamaha XT250 might be a better choice
Old 05-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Historically not so much for the months the O/P is going to be here so that’s not going to be a big factor.
A second vehicle is a good idea, especially in instances where forest fires may present themselves. A good way to save one’s life if push comes to shove. A m/c can get you through traffic.
Like other posters have said, a small to mid size bike would be ideal. I have a 1972 Honda CT 90 I would love to bring along. It weighs next to nothing but will still do 50 mph. I’m going to have to change our toad to a p/u to be able to bring along a bike. A rear mounted rack is not an option for us as we need a toad that can also carry a Boxer dog. But a smaller m/c on a rear mounted rack might be right up your alley.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not a problem with the right rain gear. Do it all the time with some Frogg Toggs.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

if you can find a way bring the motorcycle It will add tons of fun and backup easy transportation. Sounds like a great adventure!!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

I carry a Honda 1300 VTX on a swivel trailer behind my FW. I wouldn't travel without it. This is one company of many that makes swivel trailers and lift systems for MH's. http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	201703  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote