Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

To change or not?

Question? I know what I plan to do but want to hear what others would do. I had the 400hp Cummins serviced in May 2013 traveled to MI in June and then to CA in October, will be returning to MI late May through the first part of September. Would you service prior to the trip back to MI where it will set for the summer or wait until the trip back to CA in September. BTW there is about 3500 miles on this oil change and will put 2200 more on it by the time I would get back to MI?
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would service it prior to the trip to avoid going beyond the recommended annual change period.

At the end of the day it's probably not a big deal either way, unless you have an extended warranty and have to show them you've maintained it according to mfgr specs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I go along with Rick on this one.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Agree with the others since it's under warranty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

I'll give my dissenting opinion. I would wait to change the oil. You'll be at the 12 month interval when you reach Michigan, but with only 5,700 miles, it should be fine. I believe the oil will still have the ability to protect against corrosion until the fall. I would change the oil then, before the trip out west.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote