Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #1

First winter with our RV not sure if we
should cover with a cover or tarp or nothing.
Any opinions would be appreciated....
Thank-you Larry Gerry & Moose
liven larger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #2

First winter with our RV not sure if we
should cover with a cover or tarp or nothing.
Any opinions would be appreciated....
Thank-you Larry Gerry & Moose
liven larger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #3

I have tried a tarp and it held the moisture and caused problems. If you cover it make sure you purchase a cover that does not trap moisture. I have for the last six years washed, waxed and thats all. Never had any problems...

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Over the past 40 years, and many RV's I have never covered them,and never had any probs. Just go inside every so often, and look around. With a cover it's hard to get on,and hard to enter.

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #5

In my many years of camping onership, including everything from a popup to my current 30ft TT ,what I always do is clean the inside up real good and after everything is all cosed up nice and tight I give it a good wash and spray on some liquid wax through my pressure washer let it sit for a couple minutes and rice it off This also makes it much easyer to clean winters grime off next spring Good luck

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SAme here, a wash and wax job work best in out Wisconsin winters. Ideally you'd exercise your RV monthly by running the generator and other systems. That get's harder to do with a cover.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 AM   #7

I realize that a cover is a little bit of work to put on and take off, but in this hot Florida sun, I'm protecting an investment.
Not only will I save on roof and A/C repairs, but the exterior walls and fixtures will not be subjected to the elements.
That said, when the time comes to sell the RV, I bet mine will look newer than the one that was left uncovered for a few years.
raymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #8

liven larger, prior to last year and this year we never covered either our fifth wheels or motorhomes with any type of cover and never had a problem occur because we didn't, we also didn't have any large trees around our coaches which may of also helped. Ed.S
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Sea Breeze, and don't use it for months at a time. I always cover it to protect it from the brutal S. Cal. sun. I use an ADCO cover, which is soft and breathes, and has a zipper entrance. Good for a about 2 yrs, before it needs replacing. Beats building an expensive shelter.
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #10

Covering in hot sunny environments (FL,CA,AZ, etc.) make sense as a cover will protect the paint and roof from excessive fading and checking. Up north no cover is needed, I live in northern OH and have never covered my motorhomes and have never had a problem.
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #11

Be carefull of using cheap tarps they can act just like sandpaper and do a lot of damage to your finish.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same question. Are there anymore SW users (AZ,CZ, etc.) that could chime in here with the good or bad?

Can one guy do it? Are there special tools? How 'bout my solar panel? Will the cover have a "window" or is it even needed?

Perhaps this topic is discussed at length somewhere, but I can't find it via the search.

Help a newbie out?

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #13

We bought a cover for our TT primarily because the TT stays in a storage facility when not in use and the spot it is in is under several pine trees. So we wanted to protect the TT from the pine sap along with the heat and humidity that South Carolina gets.

We did not spend alot of money on the cover as it primary purpose was to keep the sap off. It is a little cumbersome to put the cover on but we found that if I get on top of the TT and pull the cover up and over, my husband will help guide the sides. Takes about five minutes. Well worth it to keep the sap off.

McKenzie-9
4Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my fifth motorhome and have used covers on all of them. Live in SO CA. would not be without one. After a trip clean up the MH and put cover on, get ready to go remove cover just wipe down the MH with a towl or duster clean windows and off we go.

Saves the gel coat, paint,decals and also keeps sun off the interior. Yes it is a pain but well woth it.
PS also use tire covers
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote