Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

To Flush or not to Flush

We have just installed a new toilet in our MH. We normally have it in storage between 2 and 4 weeks and then use it for from 2 to 12 weeks. The question is do we leave water in the bowl or leave the bowl dry when the coach is in storage
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
paz

I would definitely leave a little water in the bowl (in winter, leave a little antifreeze).

RV toilets normally have about 1/2" of water in the bottom to seal out odors. Unlike home toilets that have a water trap behind the bowl, RV toilets dump directly into the waste tank. The water seal keeps odors from the tank from getting into the RV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #3

I leave it empty and have absolutely no odor issues. In our climate( we live fairly close to you) the water will evaporate in a few days anyway, and will leave an ugly ring after repeatedly doing this. The real seal is the part that opens/closes when you flush and the water does not keep odors from rising.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Leaving the tank dry or putting antifreeze in it can dry out the gasket that is around the flapper at the bottom of the tank. That seal is what keeps the water in the tank and seals the odors. If I'm leaving the tank set for a month or more than I put a toilet seal lubricant and conditioner in the tank. This product is a little thicker than the aloe gel that you put on a sunburn for comparison. You will know if your gasket is dry or sticking if you release the foot pedal and the gasket doesn't completely closed or doesn't close quickly.

The lubricant that I'm familiar with comes in a bottle by Thetford and I buy it on Amazon for about $10 and I believe it handles three treatments.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, keep water in it at all times. I did that with our last Dutch Star and after 13 years the toilet was still holding water and never been repaired.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

To avoid evaporation of the water left in the bowl, put a couple dabs of Vasoline on the rim and then cover the bowl with saran. The water stays in there. This is an Arizona trick.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member

in arizonas dry climate, the water is gone in two days. i use mineral oil. an oz or two keeps the seal lubricated, and no odor.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Water in toilet bowl IS what prevents odors from black tank coming back into RV

Residential toilets have a built in 'P' trap.......and you can see the water left in bowl after flush.
RV gravity toilets do not have that 'P' trap.......but after flushing a small amount of water flows into bowl to provide the 'vapor barrier' . THat water comes for the vacuum breaker
RV macerator toilets have a 'P' trap do to routing of discharge hose
RV Vacuum toilets do not require it as all stuff is sucked out.

If you have a gravity toilet.....water should be in toilet for a vapor barrier

'twogypsies' trick works
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, I would leave a little water in the bowl so the seal doesn't dry out! In fact, we leave quite a bit in there just in case there is a slow leak!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
...I would definitely leave a little water in the bowl (in winter, leave a little antifreeze)....
That's exactly what I do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote