Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #155

This reminds me of a story I heard once. Seems that the south at the turn of the century. (The 20th Century not the 21st) wasn't doing so well. There was a lot of reasons for this but one man sent a team down there to investigate. They came back and said they thought all the people on the south were anemic. So a group of doctors went there and discovered that they all had hook worm. They asked people where they defecated and they said stuff like "over by that tree over there". They asked the next guy and he said by the same tree but, he says "not in the exact same place". So they did a test on hook worms and found that they could crawl 6 feet in a few days but, then they died. So, they started a campaign to get everybody to dig outhouses and make the hole at least 6 feet deep.

Fast forward ahead a 100 years and there was a man who had bad allergies . Nothing the doctors could do could help him. He did his own research and discovered that in the developing world almost no one has allergies. He was convinced that this was because they have hook worm. Since the doctors would not give him hook worm he went to the developing world and walked around bare foot in the places where people defecated until he got hook worm. And his allergies went away.

He now has a web site set up where you can buy hook worms from him. I mean really from him, right out of him. Seem almost no one wants to do this though. lol

The story was something about co-dependency's of different spices in animals and how maybe we have gotten rid of too many in our lives and have made ourselves sicker as a result.

If any one is interested I may be able to find the story with a little research.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #156

I was taught not to pee on my hands. In the event the wind is blowing the wrong way....you may very well choose to wash your hands! Just like if the toilet paper gets soggy!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #157

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True and disturbing at the same time

Thanks Caveman CBB

The hookworm story is a facinating read. Makes you wonder about what we are doing to ourselves with all the germ a fob stories and how we should be protecting ourselves from nature.

Here's the link if interested - Man infects self with hookworms to treat severe allergies | ksl.com

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Don't wear flip flops, don't like them.

Chuck
Click image for larger version

Name:	flip flops.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	53461

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #159

Here is a pod cast version of the program I heard about parasites . You can listen to it on your computer or what ever device you use to get to this forum. It's a good show I try to tune in whenever I can.

New York Public Radio Popup Player
Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #160

Winnebago Owners Club
this is fun thread,filled with humor,brings out the fun loving nature in us. A very popular thread. I got many ideas, thanks
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #161

No gloves - But I wash up afterwards and use alcohol disinfectant.

When setting up I do electric, then fresh water (I put a splitter on the water spigot), and sewer last. I have soap in the hose bay to clean up before touching anything else.

When breaking down, I do electric first, fresh water hookup 'to fill' next, sewer, and fresh water hose last. I dump the black first, about half the grey - while using the wash out on the black. I re dump the black, then the grey again. I rinse the stinky slinky off incase anything dripped while hooked up. I disconnect from trailer keeping the hose end high, RINSE thoroughly inside and out, and disconnect from sewer dump. Put the S.S. in its bumper pipe holder and close it. Rinse it, and the connectors which then get sealed in a bag and put away, and then wash hands. Then I turn off water and disconnect hose and store it in Fresh water compartment.

May be yucky to some, but I haven't got sick yet. I DO NOT put the sewer hose or connectors on anything but the ground or on a Stinky Slinky bridge. I keep fresh water connectors and hoses separated away from the sewage hose and connectors. Bleach cleaner sprayed on connectors and leave it to dry on them between trips.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #162
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
I was taught not to pee on my hands. In the event the wind is blowing the wrong way....you may very well choose to wash your hands! Just like if the toilet paper gets soggy!

That is "sly."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #163

A box of surgical gloves... either from the drugstore or cheaper on line comes in handy. I keep a box in the wet bay for use when connecting and disconnecting and ringing the sewer hose. one use, into the trash and move on. I use a disinfectant afterwards and then wash when the next opportunity arises.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #164

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought the box of gloves, used them once. Pita to use. I keep a container of Lysol wipes the wet bay and wipe my hands before touch the bay door. Fresh water hoses go in a different bay. And I started spraying the hose bib with bleach after I watched a guy across from me rinse out his black hose by holding it up to the bib. I guess he felt it was pretty clean when he did this as the other end was just lying on the grass, not hooked to the sewer. There are some scary people in this world.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
I bought the box of gloves, used them once. Pita to use. I keep a container of Lysol wipes the wet bay and wipe my hands before touch the bay door. Fresh water hoses go in a different bay. And I started spraying the hose bib with bleach after I watched a guy across from me rinse out his black hose by holding it up to the bib. I guess he felt it was pretty clean when he did this as the other end was just lying on the grass, not hooked to the sewer. There are some scary people in this world.
Not scary, just stupid. And as Ron White says "You can't fix stupid".
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #166

What's a bib?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #167

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
What's a bib?

Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #168

Ah, I see. A round here we call that A faucet. Ya it would be bad to stick that right in the end of your black hose. I gotta agree with that one.