Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #85

I find that disposable gloves end up getting snagged on the excess of the clamps no matter how careful I am and they end up with holes, so they defeat the purpose. So I go without gloves.

Your immune system is there for a reason. A few germs left over after good hand washing is probably not going to hurt you. People are WAY too paranoid about germs these days.

I am mindful of keeping things as sanitary as possible. I don't store my fresh water hose with my sewer hose fittings. I cap the end of my fresh waterhose if I have to toss it on the ground to get it under the van to reach the tank filler on the curb side.

And I always wash my hands after touching the hose.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with the hand washing and no gloves crowd.

I saw a couple pull in near us one time and the first thing the lady did was get out with a spray bottle of bleach and spray down everything including the picnic table and in ground fire ring. Then the gentleman put on black hard rubber gloves that reached up to his elbows to hook up everything. He used the same gloves on the sewer hose and water hose, even on the power cord. Go Figure.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #87

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
In the past I have used the platex gloves and sprayed them down with lysol after use. I now have a nice mounted dispenser in the wet bay that holds a box of nitrile gloves that I get at harbor freight for cheap. I have a mounted dispenser for both antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer and a paper towel holder. [/B]Everything including the hookup post and faucet are sprayed with lysol before and after use. I also had laminated cards made up to leave on the campground water pole that say I was courteous enough to sanitize it after use and that the next person should do the same. Just kidding on the last part (I'm not that anal! pun intended) But not a bad idea!
Oh no.....another grey water ground contaminator!!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #88

I didn't have time to read all the responses but, to answer your question. No, I have no gloves in my RV. But, I do wash my hands after draining the tanks.

Heck, I live on the farm. I spent 6 hours today using a 1500 PSI hot water sprayer to blast pig manure off the floor of the barn. You quickly learn to keep your mouth shut when doing this. But, you do end up getting manure splashed all over you. And, for the record, hot steaming pig manure hurts when it gets into you eyes. lol
Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I didn't have time to read all the responses but, to answer your question. No, I have no gloves in my RV. But, I do wash my hands after draining the tanks.

Heck, I live on the farm. I spent 6 hours today using a 1500 PSI hot water sprayer to blast pig manure off the floor of the barn. You quickly learn to keep your mouth shut when doing this. But, you do end up getting manure splashed all over you. And, for the record, hot steaming pig manure hurts when it gets into you eyes. lol
This ....just about puts this thread into perspective!

Thanks for a laugh tonight!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post

What? No hearing protection, contamination suit or goggles while you cleaned the barn?

My hats off to all the farmers in this world. Where would we be without you? It's hard and dirty work. But the next time I have pork chops I'll think of you! Thanks
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I just wear a glove on the hand that is not holding my sammich.
stuhly, I'm betting you are a plumber. Back in 02 when I was a plumber, I never wore gloves and don't remember if I washed my hands before or after lunch.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What? No hearing protection, contamination suit or goggles while you cleaned the barn?

My hats off to all the farmers in this world. Where would we be without you? It's hard and dirty work. But the next time I have pork chops I'll think of you! Thanks
Wheeeeee-t!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #93

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
A nurse friend of mine taught me how to remove contaminated latex gloves. First, pinch one glove just below the cuff and pull it off, then scrunch it up in the palm of the other hand. Then place the index finger of the bare hand inside the cuff of the other glove and pull it off. The result is a neat ball of inside-out glove and your bare fingers never touched the outside of the gloves.
I use gloves, for all sorts of things,(sensitive to 'stuff' not germs!) however before I remove them I wash my hands, gloves on, and swish in either vinegar and water or in mild bleach and water...(depending where they have been) I dry off and then remove gloves, by now they are cleaner than my hands.

If I am using the hospital type rubber gloves I just toss them and wash my hands. (one box of 100 for $10.00 makes them very economical)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Wet-bay remodel job.....

Here are some photo's of my newly refurbished/rebuilt wet bay......
Full rubber body suit w/face hood required when bay door is open......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	operating room.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	53180  
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #95

Years ago, while in Nigeria my wife was at the market buying groceries. She paid the young girl and when the girl handed back her change Sandy extended her left hand but the girl would not place it in her hand. Our housekeeper quietly told Sandy to extend her right hand at which time the girl gave her the change. Later sandy found out that it was bad manners to touch someone with your left hand. Apparently some don't use gloves or paper either.

Thanks for the laughs folks. This has been much better than the Saints game. Keep em coming.
barryb
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #96

So all you guys that wear gloves, did you"glove up" doing the kids diapers too?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
So all you guys that wear gloves, did you"glove up" doing the kids diapers too?

Guys changing diapers!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #98

Cool

[QUOTE=Wayne M;1869316]Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dennis.

Teresa, not picking on you but others have reported the same thing regarding not touching the T handles, etc.

Not picking on me at all...as for the T handle and waiting around. Our standard practice is to take care of the black tank hookup after everything else has been set up when we arrive....sometimes it is a day or two after we have been in a park. When we are getting ready to leave that is taken care of the afternoon prior to leaving and so that helps eliminate contamination. Regardless hands always washed! Thanks for adding to thread. It has been fun to read all the responses.

TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote