Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Lol Wayne, there is probably more cocaine residue on that 20 than staph germs!
Actually testing was done and where you find more cocaine is on the baby changing tables in the public restrooms ........ hmmmmmm .....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I carry a spray bottle of peroxide and wear heavy rubber gloves. I spray the water spigot with the peroxide before connecting the water hose (before I handle the gloves too).
I also spray the gloves after handling the sewer hose.
Some people like to use bleach water to disinfect with. The problem with that is that the bleach water is only good for a max of 24 hours after mixed. That's straight from the state health dept. The peroxide doesn't lose it's effectiveness so I buy a new bottle at the beginning of the season and throw away the old.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
After observing fellow campers (more times than I'd like) stick their sewer hose over the fresh water faucet to rinse it out, then letting the effluent run all over the campsite, take fido to an empty campsite to pee on the water faucet as well as other's sewer hoses and electrical cords, yeah, I might be a germaphobe. I won't even go into the snafus we've seen at CG dump stations...well except for the guy that filled his fresh water tank with the same hose he back flushed his black water tank with... that had been laying in the trough around the dump hole. After pointing out the sign "UNSAFE FOR POTABLE WATER" that was on the same pole, he just smiled and spent the next 15 minutes filling his tank.

Call me a germaphobe, but I'll continue, first thing, to spray down the entire CG water faucet, let it sit while I connect the electric cord. I then open the faucet and let the water run for a few seconds(rust, more than a few times) and then connect a length of water hose and let that run for awhile while watering any plants/trees close by. I then taste the water to see if it's good...if it is, I hook the hose up with an attached inline filter and an adjustable regulator. Then with disposable gloves, I hook up the stinky slinky...done. All this might take another 30 seconds that adds to the 'routine'. When we leave, I spray down the water connection for the next guy.

If we stay at a site for any length of time, we wash down the picnic table as well. On more than one occasion, we have observed campers changing connectors of their sewer hoses on their picnic tables as well as washing pets on them. H*ll, I even had one guy let his dog(on one of those"20ft', 6ft. leases some CGs require) take a dump next to our table while we were eating. He got real huffy when I told DW (loud enough for him to hear) that my hamburger smelled like [ Moderator Edit ] and left the 'gift'.

I swear, I just don't get some people...don't they think of what they are doing to others, that others are doing the same to THEM? Duh!

I've (really) only touched on a few of the unhealthy things some do...germaphobe??? Well, so be it.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
No gloves here - If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!

And why wash after taking a leak? I dont pee on my hands.... And the faucet and the door going in/out is way grosser

OMG...and then leave the bathroom and eat a hotdog or reach into a bag or bowl of chips that others are sharing!

In response to the OP ... my DH always has a box of disposable gloves handy but still washes his hands after removing them. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I only wore gloves when filling diesel.

When setting up camp, fresh water first, sewer, wash hands.

Breaking camp, stow fresh water first, sewer, wash hands.
Same here. Also, I keep disinfectant in the wet bay.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #34

This is a really really gross topic......but useful!
I never used gloves, but I always washed my hands afterwards. As for the water hose, its always treated with respect and the ends never touch the ground. I used the bleach and water mix, but may switch to peroxide. Never thought about the outside table...... Gosh, its getting harder and harder to have fun!

BTW in a restaurant the most contaminated item everyone touches is the menu. It is rarely cleaned and everyone contributes to its filthiness. I always wait until after I order and then go wash my hands.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #35

I'm trying very hard not to have this edited or deleted.

If you don't wear gloves when you cleanse your areas after an activity that fills the black water tank, then why wear gloves to empty it?? That being said, I will wear gloves if I have a fresh open cut on my hands.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I with the always wear gloves crowd. In fact, I wear disposable gloves, use purell after, and then spray everything with Lysol. It is a gross enough chore, and I want to minimize the chance of getting me or anyone else sick from it. To each his own, however.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love latex gloves..... they are so kinky! Just kidding. On setting up one should put on gloves. hook up electric, hook up fresh water (after sanitizing water bib with spay of bleach) then hook up sewer hose. On departing do the same in reverse order. dispose of gloves. This way one is always handling cords and water hose with CLEAN gloves. We've seen people pick up a bug that put them in the hospital. Safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Never thought about the outside table...... Gosh, its getting harder and harder to have fun!
Yeah I know. I didn't either until I saw the first one work on his sewer hose on his table. It seemed to snowball from there. Ya just gotta think...Would these offenders let their own family eat off that same table? Geez...

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just wear a glove on the hand that is not holding my sammich.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #40

to each his own, me I use gloves if you have any sorta cut on your fingers or else where you should have gloves, sewage has bad stuff in it, I work in a sewage water treatment plant, believe me you will want to wear a biohazard suit to hook up your slinky if you seen the stuff I see and test for every day of the week. With that being said, its like everything else in life just use common sense when around hook ups, and wash up if you don't wear gloves
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #41

I want to thank everyone for this entertaining thread - a good laugh for the new year. I try to remember to wear gloves just to protect an open wound I might have or make while handling the stinky slinky but I do forget sometimes. My DW is always watching and has the clorox wipe handy for me to use.

The picnic table, never thought about it but the DW does always cover it. I guess she does know more than I give her credit for. (Please don't tell her I said that)
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Germs help build up your immune system.

No gloves, I just wash my hands and be careful not to touch my face. As Wayne pointed out earlier, there are so many dirtier things in this world to be concerned about. Never touch an open wound or your face, mouth and eyes with dirty hands! Other than that you're good to go.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote