Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a box of disposable nitrile gloves in the compartment and use them when handling the sewer hose. Take them off before handling the water hose. My sewer hose has caps for each, which I use when it is not connected. I always drain my water hose and connect the ends together when it's not in use. I don't have a phobia of touching sewage. Worked a large water District in Southern CA where we would suit up to enter a sewage lift while sewage was still coming to remove pumps or make repairs. Also had full face mask attached to breathing so we were not breathing the fumes. Better safe then sorry especially if you have cuts or cracks on your hands.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #58

No gloves and NO stinky slinky either. I use the sewer solution that is never disconnected from the coach end, and after connecting and disconnecting from CG sewer I use hand sanitizer ! Drinking hoses are kept in separate compartment.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Probably some of the most germ-laden material we come in contact with is in the grocery store. Who handled it? How was if transported? etc, etc, etc. And how do you sanitize lettuce before you make a salad?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The hardest part is where do I set down my sandwich while working with the hose.....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
The hardest part is where do I set down my sandwich while working with the hose.....
You know, I do something similar all the time. I'll be out there with a cup of coffee, no gloves. This is usually when we are breaking camp. It doesn't bother me a bit, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm going to end up the subject of a thread like this on an internet forum somewhere.

USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I very seldom put on gloves. To cumbersome for me. I rinse the hose very good before I disconnect it and it is kept in it's own plastic storage container. We keep antibacterial soap at the wet bay and I wash my hands before continuing on to any other tasks.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #63

Thanks everyone, for your posts. As a few suggested there are probably worse things to touch like shopping carts and menu's in restaurants.

I have noticed though, how people handle things when setting up or departing with RV's. Pretty entertaining actually.

My husband is a retired EMT Firefighter and very particular about the sanitary issues with RVing. As one or two suggested the sewer connection is the very last thing to get taken care of with gloves. Yes, he knows how to properly remove the gloves. T handles are not touched with gloves.

We did get some great info from all of you! Good & bad....

Thanks for the laughs, even if it is a dirty subject.....

Keep in mind you never know who is watching you! haha
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Another EMT here - and I glove up for doody duty.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
No gloves here - If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!

And why wash after taking a leak? I dont pee on my hands.... And the faucet and the door going in/out is way grosser
Reminds of an old Navy Joke, I hope my buddy WayneM is still following this thread.

A Sailor and a Marine are in the head, the Sailor finishes and starts to walk out, the Marine asks "don't they teach you guys in the Navy to wash your hands after you pee/", the Sailor replies "no they teach us not to pee on our fingers."
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #66
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dennis.

Teresa, not picking on you but others have reported the same thing regarding not touching the T handles, etc.

Since the typical process for dumping is black water, then gray water, how does one switch from black to gray without touching the T handle? Does one take a glove off, than put it back on. Something is eluding me here. And while dumping, dose one sit at that one spot with gloves on and do nothing else in the preparations of departing? Such as, and if used, satellite tripod, hoses not used for back-flushing, lawn chairs, and the bunch of other items that need to be stowed. And then if those items are being attended to, do the gloves stay on? I know I'm retired and not in a hurry, but I just cannot sit there and watch water dump.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #67

I'm a plumber. I never eat the last bite of a sandwich.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #68

No gloves, that's what God made soap and water for! What do you do when your fingers go thru the toilet paper? Wash of course! We all have done it numerous times and haven't died yet so.............
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Stinkie finger VS stinkie slinkie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docschro98 View Post
No gloves, that's what God made soap and water for! What do you do when your fingers go thru the toilet paper? Wash of course! We all have done it numerous times and haven't died yet so.............
OH MY GOD! "Houston we have a break-through"!

Hope you had your finger-nails trimmed up........
If not........now we have DIRT STUCK in the backhoe bucket.......
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #70

If you want to worry about something ... where did you put the shoes after sloshing around the "drainage pit" ?