Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #15

To help save water (less stress on gray tank), any waterless, dry soap recipes?

I'm no longer a Boy Scout and spoiled by FHU, but we did well with a black, 5 gallon solar shower in the Wisconsin woods for 17 years of boondock camping. Just had to go to the creek for water!
But there is an alternative
Sponge bath: keeping clean without running water
http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...z81mazraw.aspx

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #16

Follow-up...

The dry soap I made just made me feel grimier after several hours. So, back into the shower for me!

I will be looking into the low-flow plumbing fixtures, just to help conserve. I see our water disappears quickly, anytime we turn on a faucet.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

A composting toilet will help a lot

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #18

Baby wipes and a hot wash cloth can work wonders and not use much water at all and this will keep you fresh and clean for several days if needed. The bucket and emptying the gray tank is a good idea also but you are also using your water. I agree with Slowmachine - I mean to point out only that it is possible to maintain your body with minimal resources. It's not fun, but you can do it for quite a while until the opportunity appears for something better. If you're in an RV of any kind, you're already miles ahead of the minimum required.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
War, yes. Uncivilized, yes. Unclean, not really. The difficult thing is washing clothes, not bodies.

I mean to point out only that it is possible to maintain your body with minimal resources. It's not fun, but you can do it for quite a while until the opportunity appears for something better. If you're in an RV of any kind, you're already miles ahead of the minimum required. I no longer have any taste for "camping." The motorhome, with at least one shower per day and a washer/dryer suits me just fine.
I think we are on the same page, there are circumstances in life where you gotta do what you gotta do, but when you have all the luxuries of Camping/Living in a MH/RV there's no reason not to use the amenities you paid for, just to avoid a little easy work. We used to backpack in the Sierras, and no matter how cold the water was I always took a quick dip in the lake/stream. Even though I didn't use soap, it still felt good to clean up after a day of hiking.

We have stayed in CG's that had water and electricity, but no sewer. You actually had to move your MH and take it to the dump station to dump your tanks. The bulk of us had the 5 gallon bucket, and would just drain off about 20 gallons when needed, dumping it in the restroom toilet. This works great as we can go for a few weeks without dumping the black tanks.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank, water