Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfennermi View Post
When we stop for lunch we get out the atlas and decided how much farther we want to travel. we then look for campgrounds in the area and call to check on availability. we will then reserve a spot if needed.

Seems to work well for us.
That's the way we do it. I usually have reservations at our destinations, but I like to be a little flexible getting there. OTOH, by mid afternoon I want to know where I'm gonna stop and feel assured that I can get a spot there.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Our method involves getting up whenever it suits us, setting out 10 or 11am, driving until about 3pm at the very latest and then start looking for a spot for the night. Once it is dark, the job is 10 times harder.
Thanks! Just downloaded RV Parky. It's just what I've been looking for.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #31

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat-Trick View Post
Thanks! Just downloaded RV Parky. It's just what I've been looking for.

I have RV Parky as well. I also like Allstays Camp & RV. I seem to use Allstays more often due to the features it has fit my needs better.

Ted
Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #32

Thanks Ted. I'll check that out as welll
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #33

We do a combination of both. If we have a specific time schedule or know of a function going on in our final destination which might make things difficult to get in last minute , we make reservations. If we are just 'moseying' along, we decide about mid afternoon about how much father we want to go that day and start looking at places we may want to stop.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Making reservations really depends on you and your driving style. In our early days of our RVing and before we had the ability of checking out places to park online, reservations were not really a good idea. We usually drove from can 'til can't. Now that we both are retired, I will make reservations one to two days out while on the road and for the final destination, especially at locations where parks limited. I try to enjoy the trip as much as the destination. Now I limit most days of travel to about 250-300 miles per day and one way or the other I want off the road by 2:30 to 3:00 local time. Time for a couple of beers and a reasonable dinner and the evening news.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #35

One very quick note on the subject of "To Reserve Or Not To Reserve" we just returned (six hours ago) from a three week trip beginning in Yellowstone, treking NW to Washington state and then down the coast finally arriving in San Diego and, even though this trip included Labor Day Weekend, we never made a reservation and NEVER got skunked!

But, and this is a very big BUT, this is not for the faint of heart. There were many, many close calls with "Only one site left" situations.

To us - crazed as we have always been - this is part of the challenge, part of the fun of simply turning to my DW on Thursday afternoon and saying "We're leave tomorrow morning for Yellowstone. We'll figure out the rest of our trip later." Her response, as it has always has been, was "What time?"

To all who trek out on adventures in RVs, our one suggestion is "Enjoy; simply enjoy."
Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just did a three week trek from NY to Kansas to Dallas to Houston to Crystal Beach and back home and did a combo of both. Hubby only wanted to drive 8 hours a day so on the way out I did some planning in advance, but no reservations. We stayed at some cute campgrounds, some nasty ones (please rate all your campground stays!!) and even a couple of rest stops. Personally, I sleep better in a campground where I can hook up the electric and not be surrounded by generators. I have definitely learned a lot by reading this thread so thanks for asking!!
MKeilbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKeilbach View Post
We just did a three week trek from NY to Kansas to Dallas to Houston to Crystal Beach and back home and did a combo of both. Hubby only wanted to drive 8 hours a day so on the way out I did some planning in advance, but no reservations. We stayed at some cute campgrounds, some nasty ones (please rate all your campground stays!!) and even a couple of rest stops. Personally, I sleep better in a campground where I can hook up the electric and not be surrounded by generators. I have definitely learned a lot by reading this thread so thanks for asking!!
Meg:

WOW, this is a tall order since we moved around sooooooo much in the three week on-the-run. But... here goes:
1. Cove Fort in outside of Beaver, Utah - Free
2. Immediately south of West Yellowstone in an Outfitters parking lot - Free
3. Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone - very nice and relaxed
4. Road side National Park "on the freeway just back of a Rest Area" heading toward Leavenworth, WA - $5 with your Golden Pass - Very convenient and accommodation
5. Leavenworth, WA just north of town - a bit tight, but very nice and accommodating. Unfortunately, I forgot their name.
6. Seattle area - Blue Sky RV Park about 20 minutes East. Super friendly and super clean.
The one you want to stay away from is Trailers Inn RV Park in Bellevue, WA. What a disgusting dump!!!! They won't even include a picture of their park in their website. We found out why when we visited.
7. Elks Lodge in Newport, WA - Very accommodating and very friendly
8. Humbug Mountain a UT State Park. Beautiful if you cherish more of the wilderness and a beach we cannot stop raving about
9. At the edge of a cliff for off-road/grid free camping
10. Hwy 5 Truck Stop - Free
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #38

I wish I felt comfortable just driving and looking for a spot when we were ready to stop. Instead, we plan ahead to where we want to go, what to see and do there, and choose a place to stay generally based on campground reviews. Maybe too much planning, but we have always enjoyed the places we end up staying at.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #39

I waited too long last time and they didn't have room for is. Luckily we found another nice resort
Old 09-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We did our longest trip a couple of years ago--just over 5000 miles in 30 days. Went to the NE for changing of the leaves. Left central Texas the middle of Sept and returned the middle of Oct, made it all the way to Maine without any reservations (and back). The biggest problem we ran into was finding RV parks open. Seems a lot of them start closing around middle of Sept and Oct. in the NE. But it all worked out okay.

We never knew from day to day where or how far we would go. We were on an adventure to see all the small sights we could, No interstates (well very few for short distances) This is the way to see the states and find a lot of unknown gems.

Planning a trip to Moab, Utah in late Sept or early Oct and this is how we are planning to do it again.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #41

Thanks for the thread. We (mostly I) don't really like traveling every day, and we both prefer interstate highways. We DO like to see the country, so we pull our little car.

We like to go to a nice area, set up for about a week and use the toad to drive around. The drive around part is cheaper, but we pay for the campground. Probably a wash in cost, but still, that's our approach.

Staying a week at a time usually gets a better rate, and we take advantage of the camping clubs whenever we can. That leisurely week allows time to explore, do laundry do repairs, sit on my butt, whatever we need.

The short part of the answer is that I have now pulled all of my remaining hair out scheduling our stops everywhere we go. We last stayed at a Walmart or such in August of 2013. Every other stop is scheduled, usually two or where days in advance.

All this works for us. Winging it really just does not fit our comfort mode.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKeilbach View Post
We just did a three week trek from NY to Kansas to Dallas to Houston to ..............
Dallas is the exception to my normal routine on reservations. I always try to make one up to a month ahead when swinging through Dallas on the way down to Houston as good RV parks are far and few in the general area, especially the east Dallas area. Born and reared there, still have an uncle who lives there and other than the RV park in the Sunnyvale area, it's either Denton to the north or far Glean Heights to the south of Dallas. Both are 45 min to an hour away from my uncle

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote