Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #1

To Make A Reservation Or Not To Make A Reservation??

I vaguely remember a post awhile back addressing this. But I can't find it. So let me ask it here "When you travel, do you prefer to book your reservation in advance of your trip - thereby locking yourself into your itinerary - or face cancellation fees. Or simply look for camping along the way - and then obviously face the occasional "No room at this inn"

If you ask "Why are you even bothering offering this thread?" Let me explain: We left the San Diego area earlier this morning heading off to Yellowstone National Park looking at it as an adventure - what can we see along the way?

We've found that while leisurely driving alone one of our many great highway systems if we spot a road sign saying something like "Scenic Route" or "Historical Site" or listening to local radio station and finding out that there is a "concert-in-the-park" around the next bend in the road or local event that sounds like fun. We - personally - feel that the occasional No Room... scenario is a minor inconvenience to this adventure.

Tonight we're staying in a cozy truck stop off the beaten path for free; safe and convenient. Tomorrow we'll either visit the local Fishlake National Park or the Cove Fort or... Whatever seem like a good idea at the time. We'll figure that out in the morning.

So, what is/are your personal experiences, your personal way of traveling and WHY? THere are no right or wrong answers. And, while others on this form may attempt to push their will on you, don't let them. Speak up and speak out!!!! Inquiring minds want to know.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 01:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We usually drive till we want to stop, then look around for a place to drop anchor.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #3

Great discussion topic...looking forward to hearing from more folks.
idocdlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #4

This has been a topic of discussion in our travels. My wife wants to know where we will be staying each night, she can't relax until the reservations are made and the itinerary set.
I like to wing it. I am tied to a schedule 49 weeks of the year and this is my time to unwind and go with the flow. How do we know what might interest us along the way? We have passed up some interesting side trips because we had reservations for the night. We have been turned away once, the host made a call and found us a spot a few miles down he road. Guess I will just have to accept it or listen to the worrying.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
when we go to lower fl in feb we do.but when we went to alaska in 2012 no. if so we might call ahead to see if there is room.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #6

For us, it varies. If we want to be in a popular specific place on specific dates, we reserve. An example would be Asheville in mid October. Or, here in FL, many of the State Parks (senior FL resident discount) need to be booked far in advance.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #7

Truck stops and walmarts always have vacancies if you want something like fortwilderness or ocean front reserve at least a year in advanced.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #8

We usually call to check on availability at a specific CG or a couple in the area. If they have four sites left, we may book one. Otherwise we leave it until our lunch stop that day. Unless we are on a specific timeline, like attending a wedding, advance reservations are just counterproductive to the purpose of our trip, which is to relax and enjoy.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We don't necessarily make reservations, but do call ahead to check on availability. Over the years we have stayed in many of the same CGs. However, you can never tell when there will be a rally, fishing tournament, etc and, even though there has always been room before...no room this time.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Reservations for us. DW and I are former bean counters, so we like things set in neat columns and rows.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

If you have some dry camping capability and willingness to occasionally do without ALL of the on-board facilities, there isn't any real need to book days ahead if you are just travelling around seeing the sights. Just come down from Yellowstone and Glacier and didn't book ahead in either place but got a spot OK

Different if you are doing the annual migration and will be sitting in one place for 4 months.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Except for the destination campground, while on-the-road, Sunday through Thursdays we find "winging it" usually works out pretty well for us. Friday and Saturday nights during the summer tend to be planned out with reservations made. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

Carolina Campers
To Make A Reservation Or Not To Make A Reservation??

It depends on the trip. If I am deadheading to a destination with a time constraint, I just drive and get what I get along the way. If I am going somewhere with the plan to stay there for a given number of days, I make reservations to insure availability. I drove on a four month trip this summer without any specific itinerary. I found it was easiest to just plan the next leg when I knew the destination, usually one or two days in advance at best.

I have found that if I am going to be stoping at a campground on Friday or Saturday night, those are the most critical for nights for making advance reservations. There seem to be more weekend warriors that come in on Friday and leave on Sunday resulting in a greater chance to the "no vacancy" sign.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When we stop for lunch we get out the atlas and decided how much farther we want to travel. we then look for campgrounds in the area and call to check on availability. we will then reserve a spot if needed.

Seems to work well for us.
Rfennermi is offline   Reply With Quote