Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

To Old To Go To a 5th Wheel or Class A?

We started out in our early years tent camping and then over the years went to pickup camper, small Class C, to 34' 5th wheel with F350 Super Duty Crew Cab. In 2010 we sold the 5th wheel and bought a used, somewhat a fixer upper, 45' slow cruiser to cruise the northwest coastal waters in the Puget Sound at British Columbia. I have primarily done most of the maintenance with the exception of some fiberglass work and exhaust manifold work, so am fairly handy with my hands. However, at my age of 74 it is getting harder to crawl around in small tight places working with one hand behind your back, so we are thinking of getting back into the RVing. I should mention that when we sold the 5th wheel and purchased the boat we also purchase a small Artic Fox self contained camper to put on the F350, which we got primarily to use when traveling back and forth between our winter home in Las Vegas and our boat in Washington. But we also take a few short trips with it in the winter. If we do get back into RVing, we are looking at either going back to a 30'-34' 5th wheel or a 36'-40' Class A DP which in either case would be later model used units (2010-2015). I guess my question, to those close to my age, is this something we should get back into and, if so, which of the two would you think would be the easier for an old buzzard like me? We are both in fairly good health with the normal aches and pains. I believe my preference would be the Class A but never owning or driving one am not sure. BTW, my DW is in favor of the RV thing but also hates to give up the boating.
Thanks in advance.

2008 Ford F350 Super Duty SWD
2015 8.5' Artic Fox Self Contained Camper
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm only 70, but with auto leveling, a fifth wheel is very easy to set up, take down.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Well you definitely own the truck to handle the fifth wheel and sounds like you are experienced in that. I can't speak much on the class A as I own a fifth wheel myself. I could not imagine it's too much harder to drive. Although they say set up at the camp is a little easier besides all the hookups that you have to do anyway. You're only as old as you feel so you have to answer that question the good thing with the fifth wheel is you don't have to tow a toad behind it. Good luck with the sale and purchase!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A Motorhome and four down toad is probably as easy as it gets.

If you book a pull-thru site...you can literally...

Park
Start Generator
Adjust climate controls
Turn on Hot water heater
Level
Extend Slide Outs
Deploy DISH
Raise TV
Make an Instant Pot meal
Sit back and watch a movie or catch up on the weather
...oh, I didn’t even go outside...and didn’t get rained on.

If mobility is an issue...then consider how the slideouts can make reaching shore power, water connections, sewer connections more difficult. There are floor plans with fewer slideouts that make the living space a bit smaller...but accessing shore connections easier.

My previous rig was a Fifth Wheel...it wasn’t a luxury edition...I had no generator, no DISH, no auto levelers, had to deploy and drive up on leveling blocks, manually deploy stabilizers on the rear...level with the landing gear...I was soaked from head to toe when done setting up. I couldn’t see doing this well into retirement. My wife refused to drive the truck...when we went somewhere. After five years of that...we had found a love for the lifestyle, but wanted an easier experience...especially as we approach our retirement years. A Motorhome with a towable Jeep has us both pinching ourselves. We are much more comfortable both traveling and parked.

Docking a Motorcoach is easier than a motor yacht. The rear view cameras make backing into a site a piece of cake. The transition from driving a car is summed up in just a few words...

Allow a 5 second rule when spacing behind other traffic vs the old 2second rule for a car. These things carry more momentum.

When you start out...make sure your mirrors are adjusted. They are very important as much of your view is otherwise blocked by the house. You’ll have to spend a little time adjusting to the view. Compare your lane alignment by looking thru the side view mirrors...you might be surprised to see you’re too far over to the right...until you get used to the sight picture.

Set up for turns...it’s easy to drag the rear trucks up on a curb if you hug the edge too much or start the turn too early.

Be aware of tail swing. There can be a large overhang behind the rear wheels. If you turn left...the tail will swing right.

Watch out for your mirrors. Easy to smack mirrors with another coach, eighteen wheeler, or toll plaza.

It just takes a bit of thinking about it...but it becomes second nature in a very short while.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I'm only 70, but with auto leveling, a fifth wheel is very easy to set up, take down.
And by the same token ..a 36' to 45' DP.. setup is a breeze, just park & punch the leveling button and other than power/water & sewer, your done!
The DP will have AIR RIDE suspension & brakes, a built in generator (already wired in) for those times that "the fish are biting" but there is no campground in sight...
And it takes less than 5 minutes to drop the toad for running around.(vs having to maneuver the F-450 dually around town when the DW needs her hair done)
But the BIG difference is the initial monetary outlay..
ie: cost of tow vehicle + 5er, vs DP coach and toad.

AND BEFORE everyone chimes in about cost of maintenance for the DP vs gasser vs 5er vs TT.. all rigs have costs...

The OP is not asking about cost, just the physical labors involved & positive conveniences between the two modes of camping..

Personally I really like being able to just find a wide spot to park, get up and walk to the bathroom, then grab a sammich and a cup of coffee on my way back to the drivers seat...and continue on my way to wherever.

vs parking, getting out of the tow rig, walk outside to the door of the 5er/TT, unlock the entry door, lower the steps, hopefully not have to extend a slide to get access to the bathroom & galley, then reverse the procedure to get back underway to my destination..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
A Motorhome and four down toad is probably as easy as it gets.

If you book a pull-thru site...you can literally...

Park
Start Generator
Adjust climate controls
Turn on Hot water heater
Level
Extend Slide Outs
Deploy DISH
Raise TV
Make an Instant Pot meal
Sit back and watch a movie or catch up on the weather
...oh, I didn’t even go outside...and didn’t get rained on.

If mobility is an issue...then consider how the slideouts can make reaching shore power, water connections, sewer connections more difficult. There are floor plans with fewer slideouts that make the living space a bit smaller...but accessing shore connections easier.

My previous rig was a Fifth Wheel...it wasn’t a luxury edition...I had no generator, no DISH, no auto levelers, had to deploy and drive up on leveling blocks, manually deploy stabilizers on the rear...level with the landing gear...I was soaked from head to toe when done setting up. I couldn’t see doing this well into retirement. My wife refused to drive the truck...when we went somewhere. After five years of that...we had found a love for the lifestyle, but wanted an easier experience...especially as we approach our retirement years. A Motorhome with a towable Jeep has us both pinching ourselves. We are much more comfortable both traveling and parked.
This was our situation as well.

We bought our first MH last fall after 31 years of every type of towable. Wow, what an eye opener for ease of setup. My hips and knees thank me every time I set up. Basically 1 button to level and done, with the exception of hookups. But, if it is raining I am self contained and can do all that stuff later.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

most of us DP or even gas ClassA owners will admit to the 'ease of setup' as compared to towables, especially 5th wheels... especially those of us who previously owned both types, is so much easier, quicker, and has much less risks.

but, I will admit that many, many... maybe the vast majority, who own trailers and 5th wheels handle it well after the learning curve, and don't have any 'issues' continuing to do so.

If it was up to my wife, we'd still have a 40' 5th wheel with bunkhouse and 1/2 bath at the rear, large living room with lots of seating, a fireplace and desk, kitchen with plenty of countertop space, an island, and a huge residential fridge, with full master bath and large bedroom with plenty, plenty of closet space... and maybe with washer and dryer.

well, hummmmm.... we did sort of have that with our 5th, but I, like those who post this original question, did NOT like the time, effort, and possible risks that come with the truck/trailer setup. But, that was just me. I certainly would not go back to that unless she gave me an ultimatum! : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

I do definitely see everybody's point of ease for sure. I suppose I'm a little spoiled with my 5th having a generator, automatic leveling and a lot of the toys that the class A have makes me not realize the work of a manual trailer setup.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I do definitely see everybody's point of ease for sure. I suppose I'm a little spoiled with my 5th having a generator, automatic leveling and a lot of the toys that the class A have makes me not realize the work of a manual trailer setup.
A Fifth Wheel equipped with all those extras makes a difference.

Generator w/ Auto gen Start
Auto Levelers
Dish
Backup camera

I would imagine you still need to get out of the truck, pull the hitch release, drop the tailgate, pull away...before hitting Auto Level. But that is definitely a minor trouble for having the living space you want.

I’ll also say...towing with a Fifth Wheel is very stable when getting bow waved by semis on the highway. At least mine was very stable.

It always comes back to listing pros and cons. If there was a single do-all perfect rig that fits everyone’s needs...that’s all they would make. Just go to a big RV show like Tampa...you will see exactly what I mean by different RVs for different folks needs. It’s mind blowing.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #10

Yes you definitely still have to get out 2 hitch and unhitch. The auto leveler is also on the outside of the unit besides that everything else can be done from inside. Although I have a somewhat of a young back so I will use it while I have it.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Too Old ??

Age is only a matter of your mind-set !!

We're ( you & I ) are close to the same age - in fact, I'm a couple of year older than you. We've, wife & I, have been RV'ing since the mid 70's......seems like forever.

Our first RV was a new GMC class A, 26'. Was much younger than and, at the time, wondered just how the heck am I going to handle this 'big thing'. Learned real quick and haven't gone into anything else since. We've had a number of class A's since including our current 38' DP and wouldn't change for anything. The mere convenience of having everything 'within reach' when pulled into a rest stop and the amount of room it affords is well worth the added expense and effort.

We have friends that have 5th wheels & trailers. They love them and think I'm nuts for having this 'big thing' to maneuver around but it actually takes less time to 'settle into' a campground site with my coach than it takes them.

Anyway, both have their downsides and upsides....If we're parked (at a campsite), we either have to rent a car or have a toad to get around. The, on the other hand, unhook their 5th wheel or trailer and use their tow vehicle to get around. And the list goes on and on.

Never having something other than a class A motorcoach, I can't tell you which is better for you.....it's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with and not a matter of age.

If possible, perhaps you should try to rent a class A for a weekend or so.....That should help you decide.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #12

I've never towed anything bigger than my 19' run-about so no real experience there but I do love the driving experience of my 40' DP. Not so much in city driving but on the highway it's more comfortable than my P/U truck and stopping at a rest stop or along side the road for lunch and a p break with the AC running and taking a nap sure beats towing, I would think.

However if I were considering using an RV like a second home ie north in the summer and or south in the winter and stayed in the same place mostly, I would consider the neater floor plans of a 5ver with the island kitchens and more spacious living areas.

Some folks in Michigan we met have a service tow their 5ver from the storage facility to the resort CG in the spring and back to the storage facility in the fall since the CG closes in the winter. Not a bad deal.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #13

In addition to the class A ease of setup that others have mentioned, remember that on arrival a class A is already at the proper indoor temperature. Arriving in a campground and setting up in 100 degrees with 95 percent humidity is a lot easier when the indoor temperature is already in the low 70's. Waiting for a towable to cool off can take some time.

I've had C's, gas A's, diesel A's and two towables. I'll take a gas A over anything else. I wouldn't mind having a C or a DP but I'll never have a towable again.

If my motorhome breaks I have a toad, if my toad breaks I have a motorhome. If a trailer (or 5er) tow vehicle breaks you're sitting on the side of the road.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated. I believe the consensus is that the Class A is probably easier to set up upon arriving at your destination especially if the weather is bad and you can pretty much be set for the night without leaving your MH. That is unless you have to disconnect your toad.

I failed to mention in my original post that we do like to dry camp and would probably be doing that 20%-30% of the time.

My question now is more in the area of keeping your RV in good working order at our age. Which of the two RV types do you feel older people can better manage doing the work on themselves. We live in a 55+ neighbor hood and therefore have to store the RV which makes it difficult to do a lot of the work myself especially when it comes to the engine with the oil changes and such.

Thanks again.
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a