Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
To plug battery's in all winter

Hi all, We are having a debate at home. Should I keep a 20 amp 110 volt power to battery's this winter we have a 02 holiday rambler endeavor pst in storage with 110 in garage thanks in advance

Saab guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
That would definitely be good as it will keep your house batteries charged. Also, make sure, if you have flood cell batteries, to have the water level checked. To minimize evaporation use two or three ounces of mineral oil per cell in your flood cells.
The other thing you want to make sure is that your charger is charging the chassis batteries. In some of older model coaches the chassis batteries are not charged when the coach is plugged into shore power. If this the case you would need to get a float charger for your chassis batteries.

srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Since 1994, we have kept all of our 7 RVs plugged in all winter. All were equipped with a float charge or a battery maintainer to keep all batteries charged. Once a month, I would fill all the batteries, exercise the slides and jacks, and run the engine and generator, if equipped. Moth balls and dryer sheets in wiring areas and Comet around the tires and power cord where it makes contact with the ground to repel ants. Rodent traps if necessary.
2004 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 PDT
USMCDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
If you're going to keep the RV plugged in all winter to keep the batteries charged, it would be best if you have a multi-stage charger so the batteries don't overcharge. Even with a multi-stage charger, check water levels in the batteries periodically.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

You've got some good advice , I'll just add one thing, using a volt meter , with the coach plugged in , make sure the on-board charging system is charging, both sets of batteries. After about an hour of being plugged in , the voltage reading at the chassis battery terminals and the coach battery terminals should be identical . 13.1v>13.3v if you get a reading higher than 13.3v check again in 4 hours. A charge rate of over 13.3 will be hard on the batteries. If the voltage isn't the same; at both sets of batteries; you'll have to look into the coaches charging system to check for proper operation.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
I use a battery Maintainer, along with a timer. I plug the charger into the timer and configure the timer to only charge for two (2) hours a day, starting at noon each day. I do periodic checks for fluid levels (about once a month) and alternate batteries every thirty days. Has worked great for the last five years.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
We keep our MH plugged in all of the time summer and winter. I get a notice/reminder in our computer to check the batteries each month. I also have a 'battery tender' hooked up to the chassis batteries. As long as I do my part, all goes well.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Saab guy View Post
Hi all, We are having a debate at home. Should I keep a 20 amp 110 volt power to battery's this winter we have a 02 holiday rambler endeavor pst in storage with 110 in garage thanks in advance
That's good idea if you have an inverter/charger with a 3 stage automatic charger.
My coach has always been plugged in during the 14 years I've owned it.... (unless we are traveling, overnighting with no shore power or boondocking).
The original set and the second set of house batteries both lasted over 9 years each.

BTW on my coach only a small solar panel maintains the charge in the chassis battery.

'96 Safari, 144k miles, (currently on the 3rd set of house batts).

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, holiday rambler, winter