Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

To Pop out or Not to Pop Out

In my research on RV's, (which used one to buy within the 10 year old range); it seems that there is more trouble with too many RV pop-outs than it is worth it.

Do you all find this to be true?

there may be other threads on this and if there is, please direct me.

thanks much.
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We have an 11 y.o. coach with a very sturdy and well-engineered slideout. Older coaches did tend to have problems with some slideouts. so you need to inspect carefully. I don't think multiple slideouts are necessarily bad. The problems stem from poor design or bad installation.

You might want to check the thread "Slideouts quit working".
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

The extra space is well worth the small likelihood of problems; most of which are not terribly difficult to repair. I've had both and will never go back to no slide.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
slides

we are now in our sixth rv with slidesand have had no problems with any of them. As far as the usable space, I would no longer even consider buying a rig without slides. Our current fifth has 3 and gives a great balance of space.

Bill
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Our first Class C did not have slides and was cramped. If you were walking to the front and someone was walking to the back, one would have to duck out of the way.

We now have overlapping slides in our Tour and the interior is so spacious you forget you're in a motorhome. I would not consider a MH without slides.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #6

Along the lines of the OP, I've never quite figured out the specific "value" - or actual usefulness of that extra 24 or 30 inch strip provided by the typical slide - you can't really dance in it any better, or bowl, and that's not enough room for additional useful furniture - so other than LOOK at it, what does it and the added price, weight and complication get you?

Yeah, it helps "keep you up with the Joneses", and there ARE benefits in the bedroom where a bit more USABLE room is a nice feature - but otherwise, it seems far more like a status symbol, than actual, practical improvement...

And we won't even get into older parks and CG's not setup to properly accept slides - and we've seen some DOOZIES where they've tried to fit one in...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide outs can be very problematic as they get older. They will need new seals, guides or rollers and adjusting. They are also prone to leak unless adjusted right and good seals.

The less expensive RVs will tend to have less frame and more prone to problems in later years. The ones with heavy frames will hold alignment better.

We went the way of Silver vintage trailers and no slides and fewer problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put me in the "I've had both, and would never go back to no slide" group.

The added space is night and day different, there is no comparison. Having a coach with slides had nothing to do with keeping up with the Joneses, zero. Plus, we have added value should we decide to sell, and we will actually be able to sell it. I happen to be in that crowd that won't even look at anything without at least one slide.

As far as maintenance, I am an engineer by education and trade, so it's just more goodies to mess with the way I see it. An RV is loaded with systems that can go wrong at any time. If I was afraid of maintenance problems, I would not own an RV at all.

As for keeping up with the Joneses, if I was interested in that, I would have bought a lot bigger, fancier rig, that I would have had to borrow money and make payments on. But since that had nothing to do with why we bought the rig we bought, we were able to stay within our budget and pay cash like we planned all along.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Along the lines of the OP, I've never quite figured out the specific "value" - or actual usefulness of that extra 24 or 30 inch strip provided by the typical slide - you can't really dance in it any better, or bowl, and that's not enough room for additional useful furniture - so other than LOOK at it, what does it and the added price, weight and complication get you?
I would agree with you about the size you stated. Our 13yr. old TT has a 12' X42" slide. It has the couch and the dinette mounted in it. We have had 10 people comfortably seated in it at one time. With the slide in there is about a 24" hall to the kitchen.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #10

I would never buy a pup, travel trailer, 5th wheel or motor home without a slide-out. You get a little more room which is huge when being in a trailer. Space is everything.
NorCalCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Can't imagine being without my slides. DW and I can actually pass each other without both turning sideways. I sit in my living room and watch the tv above the fireplace which I just can't imagine doing in a coach without slides.

I certainly don't see slides having become as popular as they have because it's a "status symbol".

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gees folks there is nothing wrong having a RV without a slide out, look at the closeness you have, isn't this one of the perks about RVing,,, being close???
we don't have a slide out, but our next one will be , right now we are happy with what we have and glad we have one, but as soon as the DW retires, we will purchase a slide out hopefully a full slide out or 3 slide out.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #13

I too am in the pro slide group. Our first TT was a 25' modle without a slideout. Our current TT is only 5' longer and has a slide. You wouldn' believe the difference in space the 42" wide slide gives you. We've had 12 people in our TTand weren't really crowed. All had a place to sit and we have enjoyed many pot luck dinners inside when the weather did not allow us outside. We will not consider any rig without a slide and always look for the wider slides.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
Gees folks there is nothing wrong having a RV without a slide out, look at the closeness you have, isn't this one of the perks about RVing,,, being close???
LOL I think I detect a slight amount of sarcasm in there. But I do agree, to each his or her own. Of course you could take it a step further and say why replace the TV with a flat screen, or why even have a TV at all? Get back to that family togetherness and play cards, board games or just enjoy each others company. Of course you might want to make sure you didn't bring any weapons along...should you decide to go that route.