Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

To RV cover or not to RV cover

I live in the mountains of Oregon and we do get snow. The first few years we kept it up here at the house during winter and seemed to always get moss growth around the trim and such. Put it in storage for a couple of years but that is costly.

Thinking of an RV cover and they cost from 200-700 for cold weather. Was told that RV covers are a waste as my Crossroads RV was meant to be in cold weather. The point he made was RV dealerships dont cover their RV's during winter

So...the question is to RV cover or not to RV cover, or are there better options other than pole barn or build a port.

Thanks in advance
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Im using a cover. A few years ago we got some wicked snow. It kinda melted and then froze again. In the spring I found heavy water marks around the A/C unit inside (cloth ceiling). Im going with a cover this year with our newer motorhome to prevent any other issues like that. Hopefully in the next 2 years we will have our new house built with an attached motorhome garage.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We always cover ours.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Horsing around that heavy cover up on the roof is asking for a slip and fall accident, and a 12' fall off the roof is nothing to sneeze at. I have no problem with heights or ladders, but why risk the fall. I don't cover mine.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Will void appearance warranty of a lot of manufactures. There heavy and a pain to get on. I did it for a couple of years and quit. No regrets.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

I've learned a few tricks over the years to make it easier but the hassle is worth the gain in my book. I always cover mine.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

The money people pay for their motorhome yet skimp when it comes to storage. I don't get it
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Got roof or seam leaks yet?

The repeated freeze/thaw process and resulting damage is worth avoiding.

I used Adco before I went fulltime. No damage from the cover if the directions are followed.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
The first year I didn't use a cover and had a lot of black streaks and dirty roof. The 2nd year I bought a cover and it made a world of difference in terms of keeping the rig clean. We get mostly rain and little to no snow. I will always have a cover on our 5er.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cover mine with an ADCO Designer series about $400. They last three to five years, they rip and they do chafe a bit. My chafes rub out easily and I repair the rips. My MH has benefited from being covered, all I have to do is look around where I store at the uncovered MH's.

I get my cover on and off by myself. That is not a recommendation but I also do not feel fool hardy in doing it I am just careful. I am seventy years old, not bothered by height and reasonably fit. Packing and repacking is the key to easy lifting. I do not find it as heavy as it is unwieldy when not packed correctly. I mount the roof, leave the cover down with a rope attached and simply pull it up after me. It helps to put it on something higher than the ground which I have adjacent to my MH.

If you are covering for a long storage period then I favor that. IF I were a weekly or even monthly user of my MH then removing and installing a cover might prove onerous. We are seasonal, travel six months, store six months. I have never removed and installed my cover more than say five times in one years time. So I don't mind.

The counter to all this is most people do not cover. Maybe they know something I do not.

When I take my waxed MH out of six months of storage the wax is still new and fresh, the MH is clean and ready to go. I am glad I cover.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

covering RV

I vote for covering the RV. We put it away waxed and clean both inside and outside. So easy to be ready for camping in the spring. Protect your investment and resale value. Most RV covers go on sale this time of year. Shop the internet for the best price. Make sure to get the right material for your climate.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

I was reading the online owners manual for the new Itasca I am waiting for, and was surprised to see the manual specifically recommend against covering. Guess I'm building an RV car-port
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think is 2 people using poles lifted the cover starting at front of MH both lifted it and walked back, there would be no need to get up on top. Would that be possible?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A garage, pole barn or anything to keep the weather off would be good...but not a cover. Too many disadvantages as noted on many threads on the forum.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote