Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you seen the TV documentary where they used an ultraviolet light source - that causes body fluids to glow in the dark - on hotel sheets, towels, and bedspreads?

YUK!!!

I will stick with stuff with just our own body fluids on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jodann:

BTW, what is an RPI membership? How do I go about joining?

Thanks again, Jodann </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joddann contact "Shilo Ridge" if you want detailed information on RPI/Coast to Coast and other options.

We have been members there for MANY years. They are no bull strait forward folks. (That is why I get along with them so well)

What it boils down to is with my Coast to Coast membership we stay in C2C parks for $10.00 a night via the trip point system. Between the yearly park dues and C2C dues we pay $160.00 a year. If we stay at either one of the Shilo locations it costs us nothing.... But we seldom use that option, mostly C2C parks when possible. So you see it does not take long for the savings to cover the yearly stuff and then REALLY save us some bucks.....

RPI is a simular system.
Catch Ya Later,

Don

On edit: Had to edit this, when I first posted it I listed it as RIP instead of RPI, NOT good!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #17

To Clay L Yes, I've seen it. How do you spell "skeeved out?"
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #18

Jodann,

As others have stated, I would opt for the RV trip over a motel trip. The RV trip will place you in National and State parks (if you avoid the private campgrounds) which would seem far more aesthetic then a motel room and parking lot next to the freeway (with lord knows what on the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc).

Also, your dog will enjoy the trip if it is anything like our two Shepards (the oldest is 15 and still loves to go on trips).

That's my vote!

As far as the gas...it is only earth money! You can't take it with you and in the end what really counts?

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jodann:
Thanks to all who have responded. I had been leaning on taking the RV for all the noted reasons & now 'WE' will most definitely choose that route.

BTW, what is an RPI membership? How do I go about joining?

Thanks again, Jodann </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RPI, Coast to Coast, Thousand Trails, Naco, they are all pretty close to each other. We have a membership to a "RV Resort" or a fancy member only campground. I think we paid $2000.00 for it and that entitles us to camp there whenever we wish without reservations for virtually nothing. That also included a RPI prefered and a couple of other club memberships. I can stay at a RPI prefered campground with full hookups for $8.00 per night with a reservation for 2 weeks at a time. I think that our dues to all are $260.00 per year. As much as we camp in the winter when the snow is on the ground, it pays for itself in savings. Worth checking into!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #20
CD

Jodann
Check out Passport America (I think that's the name). As I remember what I have seen about it, you can save 1/2 on campsites. RPI & Coast to Coast requires joining a resort that can be spendy especially if you don't use it a lot and long term. We have belonged to both. I don't think they will be a good choice for one trip. One place you may be able to get info on PA is Camping World.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #21

Passport America and Campclub USA is the other club that offers 50% discount camping at member campgrounds. The up side is that each is less than 50 bucks a year. The down side is that some camp grounds limit you to week days only, some black out holidays, and some liomit the stay, but for traveling it works for us.

1990 Foretravel Detroit Diesel
Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jodann.

Contact - http://www.ccmemberships.com/05-page...mberships.html. I guarantee they have great service and low prices. I have been RPI and C2C with them for 4 years.

In fact, I will be at Conestoga tomorrow. Absolutely out in the boonies but nice, clean, quiet and a beautiful area.

Dean

(no financial connection at all!)

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Boy, if you wanted to win this one with your wife, you picked the right forum! I absolutely vote for the RV trip, but I want to address why your wife might prefer motels and fast food (by the way, I am the "wife" in our duo). It may be that she does not want to be responsible for making 3 meals a day, every day. That can make it seem so not like a vacation, unless you happen to be someone who loves to cook. So, perhaps you should negotiate that with her. Cleaning up the coach, making the bed, all of that kind of stuff, doesn't excite some people. Me, I'm kind of crazy about polishing and cleaning the interior of the coach, but that's just me. Negotiate duties, maybe.

Also, I wonder if in your RVing history "stuff" has happened (things breaking or not working correctly)... which is common. Stuff does happen, and to enjoy RVing, I think one must almost expect that, and most importantly, have a sense of humor and a sense of teamwork. Some people are just not cut out for the RV lifestyle... we just watched a thing on the news about a couple who went to Lake Powell in their RV, and had all of the tires on their TT blow (one after the other, not all at one time... hmmmmm, when the first one blows, maybe someone should be checking the other tires, or better yet... check the tires and pressure first... but I digress). The point is, they had no tolerance for what it takes to have a happy, successful, and memorable RV experience. Their happiest moment was when they stopped at a motel.

My long winded point being... you and your wife are the only ones who have to live with each other and travel with each other. Choose carefully!

To your dear wife... maybe you should get on this forum, all of us girls will help you make your trip a great one, and provide a place for you to share your stories, questions, experiences, and even frustrations!

Good luck!

Brenda, of...
Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Something that help the RV cause is to do what we do....share the RV cleaning and cooking. If she makes the bed I vacuum and the other way as well. I cook she does the dishes and she cooks I do the dishes. It makes for a much more enjoyable trip for both of us.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
jfb

Remember, there's more to life than gas mileage!!!!
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Here's my two cents.

My wife and I have completed 4 major road trips. Two were the shakedown trips up and down the east coast. They were around 4500-5000 miles each over a 4 week period. Then we did 2 cross country trips lasting eight weeks each and covering 8000-9500 miles each. We did this in the relative comfort of our H2. Over the course of the trip, gas was not a serious part of our expenses. Even if I could get double the mileage, what would it really save. We also did a lot of serious off-roading while on these trips. These were over a period of about 18 months.

We left 2 dogs back at the kennels. That was the real hard part. Not to mention the expense. About $1,500 each month!

We stayed in hotels, Holiday Inn Expresses were our hotel of choice. Picture this: Every night you must lug suitcases up to your room and unpack. Whoops, don't sit on that bedspread, don't know what happened on it last night. Who was sitting naked on that couch. You get the point.

In the morning, reverse that process and pack the bags and lug them down to the car. Have a "buffet breakfast". Hmmmm, great food. Lunch is the same in some fast food joint. Forget dinner. Don't know where I will be tonight and if there is a restaurant nearby.

Now the rv. No suitcases. Period! I know what happened on that bedspread and who sat naked on the couch. Toast and coffee, or whatever in the morning. Lunch is at a rest stop. The kitchen is right back there. Dinner is our choice. Oh and by the way, the dogs are right next to us the whole time.

The first three paragraphs are true. The last is about to happen since we purchased our first rv about a month ago and in 2 days make our first trip.

Ask my wife about how excited she is and what she would prefer.

Ken
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote