Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

To RV toilet paper or not to RV toilet paper

I am sure that this has been discussed many many times on this or a different forum but finding is proving to be beyond my limited computer skills

Being still new at this rv thing I have read many differing opinions on the use of rv toilet paper vs regular toilet paper.

Some feel that regular toilet paper is fine as long you use plenty of water and dump often there should be no issues. Others say that using regular toilet paper will only be asking for problems, maybe not now but soon and using rv toilet paper is the only way to go

Just wondering about your opinions on which way to go or if it matters. We have an 18 foot trailer that is used mainly for weekend trips and a couple of two week vacations each year
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Just use septic safe. It breaks up in water and flushes out. Use plenty of water. Most camp grounds I have been to use septic systems. One other thing, never, never use wipes in your tank! I did not but it is a mess because they do not break down!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

we get along fine with the RV paper. is there a problem with using the RV paper I don't know about, other than it being thin and having a finger poke through it.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

32-seasons using Scott's...no issue with the tissue.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

Costco Kirkland brand works great. Three years full time without any problems.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #6

16 years of full-timing and using regular (Scotts or Costco) all the time. Absolutely no problem. That RV stuff is just a high-priced gimmick.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Costco Kirkland....
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

Think about it...........
Toilet line to tank---3"
Black tank dump line...3"

There is NOTHING special about RV TP except PRICE and cheapness in quality

40 + yrs I have used the SAME TP that I use at Home....soft, fluffy 2 Ply and a big ole WAD of it.
I have never had a clogged RV toilet or waste holding tank.

There is NOTHING different about an RV vs a S&B House except for it being on wheels

Do NOT make RV complicated.
No reason to become OCD either.

When you POOP...FILL the toilet bowl up then flush it down the pipe and let water run for a few seconds.

Enjoy your RV...go about using it pretty much like you want.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #9

To RV toilet paper or not to RV toilet paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Think about it...........
Toilet line to tank---3"
Black tank dump line...3"

There is NOTHING special about RV TP except PRICE and cheapness in quality

40 + yrs I have used the SAME TP that I use at Home....soft, fluffy 2 Ply and a big ole WAD of it.
I have never had a clogged RV toilet or waste holding tank.

There is NOTHING different about an RV vs a S&B House except for it being on wheels

Do NOT make RV complicated.
No reason to become OCD either.

When you POOP...FILL the toilet bowl up then flush it down the pipe and let water run for a few seconds.

Enjoy your RV...go about using it pretty much like you want.

BINGO....

The issues you hear about with back tanks is that where the toilet dumps into the tank. Then not a lot of water gets used/flushed and the “mound” grows. It’s VERY common when the black valve gets left open for long periods. If the tank stays wet, it doesn’t matter what TP you use.

Another vote for Kirkland, used the same on our septic system when we had one.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just use whatever doesn't give you the dreaded finger poke.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What ever we have in the house. Kirkland for many years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #12

We use household toilet paper and dispose of it in a waste basket, just like we did living in our S/B house. The thought was that sewer systems don't need to deal with additional solids placed in them. Dissolved TP still needs to be removed from a city sewer system before the clean water can get discharged. Home septic system drain fields, by design will slowly plug up from solids being filtered out. So the conclusion is, why add more solids like TP?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #13
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We use household toilet paper and dispose of it in a waste basket, just like we did living in our S/B house. The thought was that sewer systems don't need to deal with additional solids placed in them. Dissolved TP still needs to be removed from a city sewer system before the clean water can get discharged. Home septic system drain fields, by design will slowly plug up from solids being filtered out. So the conclusion is, why add more solids like TP?
I don't think your not putting toilet paper in a public sewer system that was designed for it will make any difference at all.

What about the solids that come out of you?

There may be some room for debate with a septic system but a public sewer system with a waste water treatment facility? Nope, flush the paper.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Yuk! These systems are made to take toilet paper so I use them as they are intended. I don’t want poopy paper in my waste basket. Scotts and Costco paper come in single ply which is easy on the plumbing, we use it on both our stick house (septic) and our RV (15 years no problems). Much cheaper than “RV” toilet paper and available everywhere.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet