Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #43

I've lived with a home septic system for 20+ years and their is NO issue using any toilet paper unless the septic tank doesn't have a solid and a liquid side and is cleaned out every 6-7 years. Ours have always been 2000gal split 50/50.

In talking to friends with MH many that full time its not a issue either.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #44

The chemicals used in the tanks probably do more harm than toilet paper.I also do not see how putting the paper in the trash is better than putting it in the septic system designed for it. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to my opinion.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #45

We use what we like...which happens to be Charmin Ultra Soft (something like that). The key is to use lots of water when flushing, and don’t leave the black valve open. With the valve closed the poop and paper is always in water and has a chance to break down (like a short-term septic tank). When at a spot with sewer hookups we pull the black tank valve once every week no matter how full it is (or every few days if in transit).

Full timing now, but in the past when in storage I always left several gallons of water (or RV antifreeze if cold) in the black tank so nothing would dry out and turn to turd lumps.

You can use whatever toilet paper you want as long as you use sufficient water when flushing, and if you don’t leave the black valve open. Just treat the black tank like a septic tank...only works if you let it build up and then empty when necessary.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #46

Toilet Paper

I call RV toilet paper John Wayne toilet paper it don't take crap off no one. Don't get me wrong my wife and I use RV Paper in the camper all the time.
Wolf222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #47

It seems this exact question went on for 100+ post just last month in this very forum. I’ll try and summarize my takeaway from that thread:

Doesn’t matter what TP you use as long as you flush with a lot of water.

The toilet paper test in the water is inaccurate because people shake the jar, your Motorhome/trailer black tank is not shaken, more like “stirred”. 😷

Don’t flush baby wipes ever. That’s bad for Rvs, septic, and residential systems, even if they say “flushable”...

Leave the black tank valve closed till ready to dump.
Dump with tank flush on or a flush wand if available.

Also there was significant discussion of in-tank chems, my conclusion;
Use anything you want that is not harmful to the chemistry of the septic tank that you may or may not dump your black tank into. John D10 was very opinionated about this very thing.

There was a lot more info and even more bickering. One guy even came up with a really good quote about how everyone just wants to say “how they do it” and not listen in return. It think that was the “thread killing” quote, if I recall correctly it was at the end or very close.

For me it was really an informative thread and I was happy to be done with it. Then out of the blue the question comes up again. So hopefully I’ve summarized adequately so we can put this thing to bed... 😆😂
Sailor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #48

My wife and I have used Scott 1000 sheets per roll for years and no trouble. A good way to test a particular brand is take a glass of water and put a couple of sheets in the glass and take spoon or something to stir it up and see if it dissolves, if it does you good to go with brand.
Wolfgang44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #49

Just something to think about. I have had a problem with regular tp. Never with RV tp. It breaks down quicker. My RV toilet sits of to the side of the tank on a shelf. It has been blocked many times, but not with RV tp.
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #50

They would love to get you to pay a dollar a roll for "rv" toilet paper. Use any toilet paper but as others have emphasised, do not put wipes down your RV toilet. It is not only that they don't break down, they clump together and ultimately can block the exit pipe. I found out the very hard way having to run a snake up there repeatedly and each time the snake came out clogged with years worth of wipes. When you dump, dump the black tank first then close the valve and put water into the rinse fitting. Lots of water. If your waste hose has a clear section you can easily monitor when the tank is clean. THEN open the gray (grey?) valve to rinse the whole thing out. Again, as for toilet paper, there is no need to use "RV" paper. IMO.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Costco Kirkland brand works great. Three years full time without any problems.
Glad somebody is having good luck with Costco TP. Based on reviews like yours I stocked up on the TP and found that I spend a lot of time unclogging the toilet, Not so with RV toilet paper. Before you say it; Yes, I use lots of water when flushing and followup flushing.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #52

We use Cottonelle, the commercials say it gets you clean. Septic system, city system, RV, common sense but no waste basket.
Apen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #53

Charmin Soft (blue package)

Ok thought I would weigh in on this one. I was in the paper making and converting operations for over 35 years. I spent countless hours developing and testing paper formulas / designs. Believe it or not there is a lot that goes into the design... soft? Strong? Cheap? Breakdown? Sink Time? Absorption? ... When we went semi full time a few years ago, I used what I know to be the industry standard testing to determine which toilet papers breakdown the fasted to a point that it will flow through any Rv black tank system. I tested over 20 brands and found a huge difference in some brands. The fastest and most complete breakdown toilet paper was the Charmin Soft (blue package). The “rv” paper was some of the worst... not to mention roughest! I have been using the Charmin Soft (blue) with zero issues... and it’s gental on the bum. I do Agee with several others that you must use plenty of water and allow your black tank to get about 3/4 full before dumping.
jr2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #54

For the past 2 years, we've been using Scotts 1000, 1ply septic safe and Angel Soft 2ply (not 4ply) septic safe.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation Use Common Sense and Read Your RV's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker991 View Post
I am sure that this has been discussed many many times on this or a different forum but finding is proving to be beyond my limited computer skills

Being still new at this rv thing I have read many differing opinions on the use of rv toilet paper vs regular toilet paper.

Some feel that regular toilet paper is fine as long you use plenty of water and dump often there should be no issues. Others say that using regular toilet paper will only be asking for problems, maybe not now but soon and using rv toilet paper is the only way to go

Just wondering about your opinions on which way to go or if it matters. We have an 18 foot trailer that is used mainly for weekend trips and a couple of two week vacations each year
I find this subject so definitive of todays society, we are living in such a "Dumbed-Down" society that thinks if someone (A Manufacturer) says to use only RV Rated Toilet Paper then they feel "Who are they to tell me what to do, I will do whatever I want" and then they post all their post saying that it is perfectly alright and there is no need to use RV Toilet Paper, people today just don't want to live by the rules and don't want to follow instructions. Today's society are like spoiled little kids in school that cannot and will not follow instructions or follow any rules. I would think that sooner or later people would wake up and say to themselves, I bought this RV and spent a lot of money on it and the manufacturer says to use RV Toilet Paper only so that has to be best for my RV. But so many people are "Self Appointed Experts" and they post their opinions on every site they can to boost their fragile ego's that craves attention and anyone that does not agree then they go into attack mode and start trolling those people because "Who are they to tell ME that I am wrong about using Charmin or Angel Soft in an RV!".
You have to ask yourself if your investment in your RV is worthy of you doing what is best for it and doing what the manufacturer of your RV recommends. And you have to ask yourself, do I listen to someone who is not an expert that tells me to go against what my manual states, do I disregard doing what is RIGHT by using RV Toilet Paper to support someone who knows nothing about my RV, did not make any payments on my RV and don't really care about my RV, only thing they care about is convincing other people that they are right in their ranting and raving so that they can feed their ego's and fulfil their craving for attention! The choice is yours my friend, do not listen to anyone that tells you to disregard what your manual tells you to do and your manual, my manual and millions of others manuals all say to use RV RATED TOILET PAPER ONLY, how hard is that to understand? It is simple and its the same as your manual telling you to use 30W Oil in your engine, are you going to put in 40W or 10W because someone on the internet that you don't even know tells you to? If you blew up your engine is the person going to give you the money to buy a new engine? NO, you know they won't so WHY would you listen to them about anything that goes against your manual and against COMMON SENSE? Remember, the manufacturers of RV tells you to use RV Toilet Paper for a good reason, not because they make the toilet paper because they don't and they don't profit from you buying the proper and correct RV Toilet Paper, think about it, it is just common sense!
Good Luck and Happy RV'ing
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #56

Toilet Paper or Bidet

I have a bidet hooked to my toilet. Saves a lot of TP. Only need it for drying.
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet