Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After frying all of the electrical components in my first RV and then losing a couple of appliances in the RV I now have, I installed surge protection about 3 1/2 years ago. The SurgeGuard has deteted bad power 2 or 3 times since it was installed.

I have a hard wired SurgeGuard that I installed as a portable by putting a plug on one end and a receptacle on the other end. If it ever fails I can unplug and bypass it. If it does fail, I will be replacing it with a unit from Progressive Industries.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
last July we had a lighting strike close to my back yard where I have the MH on shore power from my shop. As near as I can figure, the surge came in through the 50Amp cable that lies on the ground (about 30 feet) from the socket on the wall of the shop. The surge killed both TVs, the microwave controller and the Xantrex inverter/charger on the 05 National Dolphin. After replacing and repairing the chrispy criters I got a plugin Progressive Ind. surge supperssor but I put it indside the bay with the transfer switch. This way I cannot go off and leave it connected to the power pole at the CG nor can it sprout legs and walk away. I put the plug from the transfer switch into the "dummy socket" when the MH isn't connected to shore power. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	19676   Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer box & surge protector.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	19677  

J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
I have a Progressive Industries portable unit that came into play the second time I used it. There were several black outs and brown outs at the new campground last 4th of July. The last black out occurred just minutes after I set up camp and lasted some 18 hours. One guy lost his A/C unit when the problem first started.

I would had prefer to have it hardwired but the budget said otherwise. I'm happy with having a portable one and haven't looked back yet.

My vote is for protection - hardwired or portable.
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have literally repaired dozens if not a hundred coaches that took on a high voltage or surge that caused major damage to the electrical appliances and electronics. I will not plug my coach into shore power without my Surge Guard (portable) on the line. I highly recommend them to all my customers and when I deliver a coach to new buyers.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search and read the numerous threads about all of the mishaps, coach rewiring and devices that others have had to replace at their own expense, sometimes thousands of dollars, then decide for yourself whether you should have one or not.

Trust me, I know you will make the right decision, I did.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
We have the TRC 50A portable Surge Guard. I had a problem with the first TRC 50A portable Surge Guard that I had purchased. It was defective. It was replaced at no cost to me. The thing about it being portable was that I did not have to "unwire" it. I just took it back to Camping World and we talked to the TRC people on the phone. They authorized Camping World to take a new one off the shelf to replace my defective unit. Camping World sent the defective one back to TRC. I am not sure what caused the unit to go bad but I suspect that it was a power problem at a campground. We noticed that the AC had shut down and when I talked to the campground people they told me they were having a "problem" in the part of the park we were in.

If I was in the market now, I think I would purchase the Progressive Industries unit. The portable unit has the advantage if there is a problem with it, you can just unplug it and not have to re wire for temporary service while it gets replaced. The downside of the portable is it is more "work" to use it (no big deal though) and you need to consider a device to secure it (lock it) so that some low life vandal does not make off with it.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Count me among those with hard wired surge protector. Install it and forget it.

Me too. For all the reasons that Lori mentioned, except storing it.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
I camped for years without a surge protector and was lucky that I never had a problem. Last summer my luck ran out. A severe storm blew in late one night and a lightening strike nearby created MAJOR problems in the CG I was staying in. The surge took out my converter, circuit board to leveling jacks, the front tv as well as the furnace circuit board. The costs to repair and replace the damage far exceeded the cost of a surge protector. I then bought and installed a Progressive Industries surge protector. Kind of like closing the gate after the horse gets out but better late than never. Since then this device has detected power problems at two campgrounds. Its up to you, but it is a big gamble not to have a surge protector. By the way, Progressive Industries have a LIFETIME warranty on their products.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
I have a hardwired Surge Guard 50. I believe it's important to also have protection from under/over voltage and neutral and ground issues. Don't just buy a cheap surge only protector.

99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
Nor'easters Club
Count me in as a fan of Surge protection. While I prefer the hard wire types, the portable one put in a bay is a cool idea as well. A month or so ago I did an article about Surge protection in general. You can view it here:

WanderMan: Electrical Surges, Spikes and Brownouts: What to do?

Nowadays, you cannot be too careful. Low park maintenance on their electrical systems can lead to disaster. Surge protectors are cheap insurance.

Rich "The Wanderman"
1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa Class A
Almost 100% Self Sufficient!
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Any surge protection is better than none at all. It is not about "starting a fire" its about saving all of the very very expensive equipment and accessories in your MH.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
I am heading into 'the woods' right away and don't have time for a hard wire installation. Would I be spending money wisely buying a plug-in for now so I will have 'some' protection?
In my opinion, you will be spending your money VERY wisely. I've used a portable SurgeGuard for years. It acts like it is hardwired, in a fashion, because it is locked onto the end of my shorepower cord. It's always there, I just plug it into the post. The protection is the same, (I think, but others may have better info) whether the unit is hardwired or portable.... Have fun with no worries.
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
stealheadbluesman you are right your surge guard will
protect your rv at shorepower but not from your powercord
to your rv thats where I had my problem I'm very lucky
I put the slides out still hooked up to the truck because
the DW wanted to get in out of the heat.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Solo Rvers Club
Good point, Couger. I planned to eventually mount it inside next to the transfer switch so I reduce the issues with so many plugs and receptacles. Someday....

'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote