Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
So if I am reading this correctly, I can use a portable surge protector inside the electrical compartment in the basement? It does not need to be out by the pedestal? I understand that I would have to use a "extension cord" and that cord would be at risk. But I would rather not have the surge protector in plain site of thieves.
Is your electrical cord hard-wired on a take up reel? If so, you would have to modify the setup to provide connection points to plug in the surge protector.

I've seen locks that prevent someone from disconnecting the surge protector unless the cut your electrical cord. But if you're in an area where theft of the protector could be an issue, that might not help.

If I had to muck with the wiring in the electrical compartment to be able to use a portable protector, I'd probably just put in a hard wired one.

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Is your electrical cord hard-wired on a take up reel? If so, you would have to modify the setup to provide connection points to plug in the surge protector.

I've seen locks that prevent someone from disconnecting the surge protector unless the cut your electrical cord. But if you're in an area where theft of the protector could be an issue, that might not help.

If I had to muck with the wiring in the electrical compartment to be able to use a portable protector, I'd probably just put in a hard wired one.

joe
My electric cord is wired to the transfer switch. But I have 3 or 4 extension cords. These are real RV cords. 10-3 Gauge or whatever it is. I have these cords because we have some land in the woods with a pedestal but the ideal place for us to park is approx 60 ft from the pedestal. Hence the extension cords. So anyway, I would just use an extension cord from the CG pedestal to inside the basement compartment, then the surge protector, then into the actual RV electric cord. Sound feasible to do?

I dont really want to spend the extra $$$ to hardwire one in, because our MH is not one we plan to keep for many years. It probably has, at most, 2 more years with us before an upgrade. It is our first MH.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
That would work but I would be leery of how much voltage drop you're getting when you stack up that many cords. Have you ever checked the voltage at your breaker panel against what it is at the plug/pedestal?

joe
Old 04-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could cut the power cord in the bay and put a plug on the RV side and a receptacle on the power cord end. That way you can place your portable unit inside the bay and not use the extra cord.

I can unplug and remove the SurgeGuard from the circuit if needed and then plug the cable back together.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #47

Quote:
That would work but I would be leery of how much voltage drop you're getting when you stack up that many cords. Have you ever checked the voltage at your breaker panel against what it is at the plug/pedestal?

joe
I have not. Im "learning as you go" type of thing. My wife and I are in our 30s and neither one of us are electricians...

We have used it like that for 7 days straight a few times last summer. Didnt have any problems, but I did notice that the AC seemed to struggle to stay "fired up" at times. I guess its something I will have to look into.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #48

Thanks for the suggestions Richard but Bishop Christensen talked me through trouble shooting the problem and we could not find anything tripped. I really was hoping it would be that easy.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
We have a hardwired Progressive Industries unit. I got it at a rally at the Tampa RV show the day after a power surge (or maybe bad neutral) on the temporary RV parking power connections blew my transfer switch, and blew out a couple thousand worth of electronics on other rigs on the same circuit.

Newmar is now installing a transfer switch with built-in surge protection on the high end coaches with the Silverleaf system. Silverleaf wouldn't allow them to use their products until the coaches had a surge protection system.

joe
I wonder why Newmar or any other coach maker doesn't install surge protectors as standard equipment? The cost is so nominal compared to other options that maufactures put on their coaches, not to mention the safety factor of having it factory installed
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I wonder why Newmar or any other coach maker doesn't install surge protectors as standard equipment? The cost is so nominal compared to other options that maufactures put on their coaches, not to mention the safety factor of having it factory installed
Bottom line $$$$$$$$

A better question is why doesn't the transfer switch manufacturers include surge and over/under voltage protection. FWIW, some are finally doing so.

Gil J
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with both comments. The transfer switch used in the newer high end coaches has the surge protection built in. It would be nice if they used that switch across all models.

joe
Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #52

Being a retired and licensed electrician in South Carolina; I mounted a small junction box on the inside of my rear bunper that houses a 30 AMP Buss-Type fuse....hard wired the box to the TT, and installed the other end of the power lead to the other side of the box to go to the pedestal, Did all of this for less than $75.00, and never have to worry about bad neutrals or surges, etc. ANYTHING that pushes it above 30 Amps blows the fuse in split seconds....................then I just unplug from the pedestal, take my meter and make sure nothing is going to ground, then replace the fuse, plug in and continue RV'ing. It is not fancy, but it is reliable !
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #53

Question people. How would one go about keeping a portable S.P. from getting stolen? Think this is even an issue? At about $100, I'm paranoid about it disappearing.
woody92354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody92354 View Post
Question people. How would one go about keeping a portable S.P. from getting stolen? Think this is even an issue? At about $100, I'm paranoid about it disappearing.
There is a lock for it

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - Technology Research Corp 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
Being a retired and licensed electrician in South Carolina; I mounted a small junction box on the inside of my rear bunper that houses a 30 AMP Buss-Type fuse....hard wired the box to the TT, and installed the other end of the power lead to the other side of the box to go to the pedestal, Did all of this for less than $75.00, and never have to worry about bad neutrals or surges, etc. ANYTHING that pushes it above 30 Amps blows the fuse in split seconds....................then I just unplug from the pedestal, take my meter and make sure nothing is going to ground, then replace the fuse, plug in and continue RV'ing. It is not fancy, but it is reliable !
With all due respect as I am NOT a licensed electrician however I do know enough about the stuff to be very dangerous, YIKES!

Your 30 amp Buss-Type fuse box sounds more like an expensive in-line fuse holder versus a Surge Guard EMS system that will protect all of your expensive devices inside your coach, your electrical system and yourself.

If it were me, I would call Tommy at Progressive Industries and discuss your situation with him to see what he has to say.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by radd226 View Post
Our converter was fried when lightning struck a pole in the campground. I am planning on buying a surge protector this year.
We definitely have a surge protector but they are useless against a lighting strike. But I agree better safe than sorry.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote