Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
The EMS sure seems like the way to go. I guess i won't be buying a basic surge protector afterall. There is too much at stake to lose. Here is my question. I have a 30 amp, should I go ahead and buy the 50 amp or save some $$$ and buy the 30 amp. Also, is that a simple hookup? It seems complicated to me. Explain to me if you will, in layman's terms, how to go about hooking it up. I guess I'd like it installed inside the cubby hole where the shore line comes out of. Seems like it will be safe, dry & secure in there. Just how does it get hooked up exactly?
Thanks loads!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #72

After reading so many horror stories and now retired and wandering all over the USA it just easier to not have to worry when I plug in so many different Campgrounds. I've learned to keep the portable unit in my comparment and use 2 cords (from the pedestal to unit and unit to coach) so I don't have to worry about theft or leaving it behind. Now I'm protected it leaves me more time to worry about something else !

Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question

I just bought the EMS-LCHW50 (was on sale and got $50 off from CW ) and I have a Surge Guard ATS, but have a question...

As I understand it,
1. I can hook it up BEFORE my auto transfer switch to protect the ATS (auto transfer switch) and coach from shore power,
or
2. I can hook it up after the ATS and be protected from shore and generator power but might sacrifice my ATS for the greater good.

I'm guessing #2 would be be safer for my electronics in the coach and I let the built in surge guard help protect the ATS... right?
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
I just bought the EMS-LCHW50 (was on sale and got $50 off from CW ) and I have a Surge Guard ATS, but have a question...

As I understand it,
1. I can hook it up BEFORE my auto transfer switch to protect the ATS (auto transfer switch) and coach from shore power,
or
2. I can hook it up after the ATS and be protected from shore and generator power but might sacrifice my ATS for the greater good.

I'm guessing #2 would be be safer for my electronics in the coach and I let the built in surge guard help protect the ATS... right?
Truthfully, I would not worry about the quality of power coming from your generator. The newer designed generators installed in the newer coach's have their own built-in protections devices.

Therefore, I would recommend #1.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #75

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Truthfully, I would not worry about the quality of power coming from your generator. The newer designed generators installed in the newer coach's have their own built-in protections devices.

Therefore, I would recommend #1.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Me too. I use a portable SurgeGard at the pedestal. And I don't have the time or energy to worry about someone stealing it. Good 'nuff, as they say in the old country....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #76

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As for a fire caused by the campground's electrical supply.... Just yesterday I was reading a thread in ONE of the forums I visit where a camper had a fire in his rooftop Air Conditioner, now he got it out, with only minor damage,, but the general consensus was the cause was low voltage in the park.

So now you haver heard of one.

Myself.. I'm not entierly in agreement (or disagreement) with the consensus, I abstained on that thread.

However low voltage can take out the motors on your air conditionoer, and those start at around 200 bucks for the blower. MORE for the compressor. both low and high voltage can damage other devices. The power line guard, which we call a surge protector, will protect against both low and high voltages.

NOTE: these popular surge protector strips things.. Are SPIKE protectors, not at all the same thing.. I have been in a room full of them when a true surge hit,, If you want to know what it sounded like.. Just wait a few days.. And attend the fireworks.. (Like Firecrackers going off all around me). I lost about 80 dollars worth of those puppies in just about 1 minute. plus one motor and the power supply for my computer.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #77
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Simply put, I would not leave home without one! I have never read where an RV burned because of lack of surge protection, but I have read many times where all the electrical appliances, etc. were destroyed.

I chose the Progressive Industries HW50C for my previous 5er and the MH I just bought because of their reputation for outstanding service.

Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #78
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Its the best $350 you will spend on your rv. A power surge or faulty wiring outside the coach will do a lot more than just ruin a tv or toaster. Its like a smoke detector it doesn't do anything but just sit there until you need it to work then you thank god you have it!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Should I ever win the lottery I would buy a new Class A motorhome. The next day I would order and install a Progressive surge protector.

On day 3 I would call the wife and tell her that I am on the road somewhere enjoying myself. Don't tell her I said that - I will be in big trouble if she finds out. I haven't won the lottery yet, remember?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
After reading through the previous posts, I have a question about the built in protection we have on our 2009 Discovery. From what I've read, it covers (supposedly) a power surge, which I interpret as an over-voltage. Does it also protect for an under-voltage condition?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #81

I have a Progressive unit and once in a campground the power kept going off. I walked outside and asked around if it was happening to others. Everyone around me said no, we have power. I went back to my Progressive unit and it had all 4 lights lit up. I was temped to unplug it and just plug in the cord but didn't.

About an hour later people were outside talking about their A/C units, TV's and microwaves stopped working. Next thing you know an electrician was coming around checking the pedestals for power and told me you are lucky you had the Progressive unit. The power was surging and a lot of people are going to be very unhappy replacing their A/C units.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone just replaced their transfer switch with the Surge Guard Model 41260? I just had my IOTA50 transfer switch replaced under a recall with the 41260 and it looks like I'm protected for everything except high and low frequency.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #83

I use an inline surge protector from Progressive Industries and will not hook up without it. While the instances of fires caused by surges may be rare. I personally do not like to replace electrical appliances because a voltage surge fried my TV, stereo,microwave etc. Now if you have a lot of money and enjoy replacing your appliances with the "newest models" then by all means don't use one
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #84

National RV Owners Club
I will consider myself fortunate for the camping trip we just returned from. We were in a campground with full hook ups, 50 amp service and did not have any issues at all, without a surge protector. I didn't have time to complete the MOV surge protector I'm fabricating and couldn't purchase a surge protector before we left. I did purchase a short 50 to 30 adapter cord and a plug in 30 to 15 adapter so I could plug a circuit test into it. The circuit tested fine and we took a chance.

I thought about it often while we were camping, but made no mention to the DW. She would have been thinking about it all weekend and it would have made it less fun for her. I also thought about the fact that the cg we stayed at was run by the State. Doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but if electricians are working on a State run anything, I think it could be safely assumed that they're going to do the job right. Whether it's installation or repair. Unlike, maybe some privately owned campgrounds that have been around for a long time and electrical work might be done by someone on the staff, that know's their stuff but isn't necessarily licensed and their focus might be on getting the job done good, but as cheaply as possible instead of 110% correct regardless of the cost.

I just purchased a 50 amp Progessive Industries surge protector from Tweety's. I'll feel a little more comfortable the next trip.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote