Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #1

To Surge Protect....or not to Surge Protect.......

I hope this is in the correct section. I'm almost afraid to ask because I'm getting a complex. Seems my questions start range wars and heated debates.

Well. Here goes. We all know there are plug in RV Surge Protectors on the market. I see the advertisements that state, (something like) "this motor home was burned down by this campground's power supply. Our Surge Protector would have prevented this."

Now. Being over thirty (more than once. O.K. more than twice.) I have seen a lot of advertising. Some very convincing. I like facts and not a lot of what-ifs or could-happens.

I have never seen or heard of an RV having a fire caused by a campground's electrical power supply. I don't remember seeing anyone using a plug in RV Surge Protector.

O.K......finally.......Do you use an in-line plug in RV Surge Protector? Why?

And, please folks, don't start flamin' and arguing with each other about the answers. We all have differing opinions and convictions. Thanks.
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes we use a hard-wired Progressive Industries protector. I can't testify to the fire-prevention aspect, but the PI protector has saved us NUMEROUS times from:
low-voltage (at least 6x)
open neutral (1x)
open ground (2x)
reverse wired outlet (1x)

Ya just can't trust campground shore power. Never know who (or with what knowledge) did the electric hookups. Every RV we've owned has had one. Wouldn't be without.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Yes we use a hard-wired Progressive Industries protector. I can't testify to the fire-prevention aspect, but the PI protector has saved us NUMEROUS times from:
low-voltage (at least 6x)
open neutral (1x)
open ground (2x)
reverse wired outlet (1x)

Ya just can't trust campground shore power. Never know who (or with what knowledge) did the electric hookups. Every RV we've owned has had one. Wouldn't be without.

Lori-
Thank you Lori. How could anyone argue with your presentation? I'm this close to convinced to install a protector.

I've been enjoying your photo album. I see no moss grows on your RV. LOL.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Progressive Industries hardwired unit. Since then I have found two portable units left behind by the previous camper. Ours has saved us from low voltage several times.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Count me among those with hard wired surge protector. Install it and forget it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you & you're welcome. We all have thousands of dollars in electronics in our RV's. Spending a few hundred dollars (& time to install if hard-wired) is cheap insurance to keep from having to replace the A/C compressors, TV's, satellite systems, microwaves, blueray players...etc we've got that would get fried by some unlicensed electrician-wanna-be's job of wiring.

Moss could grow while we have it stored between Nov & May, but it gets too cold up here for it to do that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

I did not have a surge protector and my microwave and refrigerator
and a wine cool had to be replaced because the power cable neutral
wire came lose inside the female plug so you don't need fire to do
a lot of damage, I have brought a hard wire surge protector because
the ones you buy to put on the pedestal would have done nothing
to stop what happened to me.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We have a 5er and bought a portable unit. For me it seemed easier to just plug it in everytime we arrived at a new site. Now, over the next few years when we upgrade our 5er I might consider a hard wired unit. Anything though is better than nothing.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
KIX

I echo what NLOVNIT said in post #2. Ours is hardwired. You can buy a portable one but we prefer the hardwired unit. From all I've heard and read Progressive Industries makes the best although that's not what we currently have.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have a hardwired Progressive Industries unit. I got it at a rally at the Tampa RV show the day after a power surge (or maybe bad neutral) on the temporary RV parking power connections blew my transfer switch, and blew out a couple thousand worth of electronics on other rigs on the same circuit.

Newmar is now installing a transfer switch with built-in surge protection on the high end coaches with the Silverleaf system. Silverleaf wouldn't allow them to use their products until the coaches had a surge protection system.

joe
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Our converter was fried when lightning struck a pole in the campground. I am planning on buying a surge protector this year.
radd226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Progressive Industries portable unit and so far it hasen't saved me from anything, but it's there protecting if I ever need it. Let's me sleep better at night
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

WOW. Thanks for all the good information folks. My schedule of events for right now has me near an RV dealer where I should be able to pick up one of the plug-in surge protectors. I am heading into 'the woods' right away and don't have time for a hard wire installation. Would I be spending money wisely buying a plug-in for now so I will have 'some' protection? I will be at a National Forest campground initially. Then in a rural area for about four weeks.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I saw most of the interior wiring on a motorhome burn up due to defective power at the Elks Lodge in Redding California a few years ago. We have a hard wired Progressive Industries which is installed before the transfer switch. It gave me a false sense of security. The Iota transfer switch failed and blew the circuit boards in the washer and central vac. Over $500.00 to repair.