Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been towed twice, tipped the driver one time. The first tow the driver was going so fast (75 plus) that I worried about damage to the RV, no tip. The second time the guys moved the RV around to get it nearly level for us, they got tips.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they do a great job I tip. I tipped the guys that brought my new mattress to the house. I tip tow drivers. I even bring gifts in the form of food to my service writer at the rv dealer. Guess who gets great service? I can afford a motorhome I can afford a few bucks for people that work hard to take care of me and my family.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was at the car wash, after the guy finished I handed him $2.00 tip. He gave me a dirty look as he handed me the keys and made sure I knew he was unhappy with the $2.00. Not wanting to make him unhappy, I took my $2.00 from his hand, said thanks and drove off.
Now HE knows I don't put up with his attitude.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
It is a tough decision to make and I flip back and forth on it quite a bit. There are dozens of lousy jobs out there that don't pay especially well and people who work in them never see a tip ever. Think about all the non profits out there for example. They work with injured animals, sick children, help the environment and often get paid a pittance for all their work. Do they see tips, a Christmas bonus, great work benefits, solid wage? The answer is in many cases is no. In point of fact, I can think of many roles that people do that never get consideration for a tip. Having worked in the restaurant industry where tipping is expected, I can say that my personal experience is that there are many who work longer, harder and in more difficult conditions that never get that kind of remuneration. That isn't to say that they shouldn't get it but sometimes, it seems very uneven where those things are done and where they aren't.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I agree, a tip can go a long way, buying milk, bread, and diapers.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #20
laj

always amazes me why would you bribe someone to do a job correctly when they have already been/are being paid to do it. ok, for you big tippers, how many going to tip 20% on your next mh purchase? or are you going to try to get 20% off the asking price. try doing that the next time you go out to eat. same thing
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
always amazes me why would you bribe someone to do a job correctly when they have already been/are being paid to do it. ok, for you big tippers, how many going to tip 20% on your next mh purchase? or are you going to try to get 20% off the asking price. try doing that the next time you go out to eat. same thing
How can a gift after the fact be considered a bribe?????

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
laj

easily, its a trained reaction. its the expectation of such. ask any waiter if they expect to be tipped after serving. and what about the automatically added 18% on groups of usually 8 or more at one setting?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chuck 1935 , You made my day ..
Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The waiter has no idea beforehand if I will tip 1 penny or 25%. Automatic "tips" added to large groups are not tips, they are automatic fees. A tip by definition must be freely given. I have had service people refuse a tip. A bribe is what someone demands before doing their job or providing a service.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
laj

okkk, so why do they call it gratuity? not a service fee. if its not an expected bribe, tell the waiter when they come to take your order there will be no tip and see what happens lol.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They can call it what ever they want, it is still a fee if you choose to use their services. They tell you in advance, you can choose not to eat there or pay the fee.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
A tip is no "bribe." It's a reward to show appreciation for a job well done, usually to a worker making poor wages doing a difficult job. Tipping is optional, and I take the option of giving them. No reason to be scornful of those who believe differently than you.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
A tip is no "bribe." It's a reward to show appreciation for a job well done, usually to a worker making poor wages doing a difficult job. Tipping is optional, and I take the option of giving them. No reason to be scornful of those who believe differently than you.