Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
To Tip ... Or Not?

Just finished with my first call to Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Need a wrecker to pull me out of some mud. All went well. Good Sam paid for it, no cost to me. But ... Not sure about the protocol for these sorts of things. Should I have tipped the guy?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No...!
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

If the job was done to my satisfaction I probably would. The reason is when a business (in this case the wrecker service) belongs to Good Sam, Coach Net, AAA, etc. they are in a contract and are not paid anywhere near what they would normally charge.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
In the U.S., where wages are low for service jobs, I tip when I get good, courteous service. In Australia, where a waiter gets $20 an hour, not so much. In the two times I've had GS send out a person to change a tire, I have tipped for quick, courteous service.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have been towed once and the operator got a good tip, and I don't mean a lousy 20 bucks
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

It depends on what she looks like!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We tip for good service, though thankfully we have not had occasion to use roadside assistance...yet.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I vote with those that say yes, tip the person.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To Tip ... Or Not?

OK, Help me out here. I haven't been in this situation.....yet, but my first thought after reading the initial post was why would you? I see people saying I tip for good service, but where does it end. I just paid 6k to replace my A/C at home and didn't tip the guy who installed them. Am I now a bad person? I hired a DJ for a retirement ceremony and his cost was 100 dollars an hour. I had friends at the end of the night who said make sure you tip him, and I did, but I didn't and still don't understand why. It also appears if you only tipped him a "lousy" 20 bucks you're a bad person also. Could someone please tell me where to find a list of who and who not to tip. I thought I had it figured out, but guess I was wrong.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
If the job was done to my satisfaction I probably would. The reason is when a business (in this case the wrecker service) belongs to Good Sam, Coach Net, AAA, etc. they are in a contract and are not paid anywhere near what they would normally charge.
I don't think any wrecker companies belong to Good Sam, Coach Net, AAA, etc., but wrecker service companies do have contracts with those, and other ERS companies.
I do think that some wrecker companies may be payed less when they tow an ERS member's vehicle.

However, I doubt that the employees of wrecker companies, (aka: drivers), get payed any less if/when they tow the vehicle of an ERS member, (even IF their employers happen to get payed less).

BTW, I've never tipped a tow truck driver, (but if intended to break down again in the same area of the country I would have).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #11

Some time ago I had a windshield in my car repaired. The tech doing the job was very nice and did a good job. As the repair was covered by insurance I thanked him for the good work, smiling and still very nicely he mentioned that they do take tips. I was a little taken back and said it's ok I accept discounts.

My dad relied on tips to feed our family (many years ago) and as a result I am generous to wait staff. I think tipping every service worker is perhaps a little much. Sorry to be a curmudgeon.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tip tow drivers when they go beyond just doing the job. For example I had my truck towed home and the protocol was to park in front of the house. They could not drive the tow vehicle in driveways. But I needed it off the street to work on it. He put it where I wanted it so I gave him a big tip other wised I would have to hire help to get it in the drive.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I tip tow drivers when they go beyond just doing the job. For example I had my truck towed home and the protocol was to park in front of the house. They could not drive the tow vehicle in driveways. But I needed it off the street to work on it. He put it where I wanted it so I gave him a big tip other wised I would have to hire help to get it in the drive.
I worked 36 years in the oil fields of Oklahoma, supplying oil, diesel, and gas for your rv. Worked in weather so cold the hydraulics in the heavy equipment would stop working. Weather so hot, you could not pick up a pipe wrench. I never received a tip from any of you guys! Just kidding. Most of these people we have dealings with do not make a whole lot of money. They pay their bills, and work hard to do it. I say tip them when ever possible. Some can tip more than others, it all works out in the end.
:thumb
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a tipper. There are a lot of hard working people out there who do not make much money. A couple of bucks often goes a long way for these folks.

I am also not a man with money. My wife and I are retired teachers. But I tip well -- typically 20% in a restaurant and a couple of bucks more than I should in other situations. But a quick bit of arithmetic tells me it will only cost me a couple of hundred dollars a year. An extra buck here; an extra buck there. I won't miss it, and a few bucks could be important for someone else.

If you have to ask if you should, then you should. Go for it!
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote