Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We tried it without a toad.
Then we tried it with a toad.
A toad is better.
Way, way better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Try going without for a time then you will know if you need a vehicle. You did not mention what you are starting out with ? a class C you might not need a toad, Many places rent cars like Enterprise and pick you up. After a time of RVing you will know if you need a toad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
Yea I didn't mention that I will be using a 1997 Tiffin Allegro 34 ft diesel pusher. I think a few trips without and see how it goes might be the ticket and see how it goes.

Maybe we overthink things...but we rented a u-Haul dolly 2 times, borrowed another once, and went without too. No permanent investment, but showed us what we wanted.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #17

How you are planning on using your motorhome I guess will make that determination. We use ours for camping on the weekends mostly and have no need for one. If I was traveling all around the country I'm sure that would change.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:07 AM   #18

We have always pulled a toad. We only travel 3000 miles per year in the western U.S. I think the next new car we get will be driven instead of towed. For two or three hundred miles per month it should work for us.
I usually drive so it serves to keep up with her driving skills too.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #19

I have put 32,000 miles on my class A over the past 4+ years, and have never had a toad, or missed not having one. A snowbird friend of mine leaves his Tracker toad 5 minutes from my house during the summer months, complete with tow bar, and has told me to help myself any time I want it. I just haven't come across any occasions where the benefit of having it would outweigh the downsides of adding another dozen or so feet to my vehicle length, in addition to the other things that can and will go wrong with an extra vehicle. I plan ahead, stock up, and don't encounter the "have to run to the store" type of situations.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No toad here, but then I am only 26 foot. We have taken the MH into most places without a problem. If needed we will rent a car for a couple of days.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #21

To renting a u haul dolly.....do they have surge or aux. brakes
Old 08-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
To renting a u haul dolly.....do they have surge or aux. brakes
This depends on the state of rental.

In CA, U-Haul dollies do not have brakes (exemption in the VC allows braking to be a performance figure instead of basic weight).

Those that have brakes will be surge, so no controller needed in the towing vehicle = easier for rental customers.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #23

We too tried it without a toad . . . for one trip. Now the toad goes everywhere the coach goes!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #24

We do something a little different. Since we typically travel about 250 miles per day, and stop every hour or so for some exercise/etc., I drive the RV and my wife drives the Yukon. For us, the brief separation is not an issue and we avoided the $3000 to set up the Yukon for towing.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Bruce, we are thinking of storing our RV close to my daughters which is 400 mi away from us. Then go up in the car and that way we will have both, with no towing, and a lot of gas saved. Starting our vacations from there after visiting the grandchild.

We also rent when we get to our destinations, so far saving a ton on a new tow car and RV wear and tear. So whatever you choose, it will work out! We may try a dolly before buying a tow car.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #26

I cannot imagine being without the toad and having to break camp every time I want to go somewhere besides the campground. We go to our destination, park the coach and use the car for all of the side trips we want to make.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't go anywhere without our toad, a GMC Canyon which we hook up in less than 5. We tow 4 down, 4x4 easy set up. No noticable difference in fuel economy. We'd be lost without it, don't like using a 33 foot MH for a car.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #28

We bought a 2011 CRV for a tow. Tried for over two years and two different companies but never did get an aux brake to work. They messed up electrical on both car and MH as well as toad brakes. So, we gave up and just don't bring our toad

Tags
toad