Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

To Toad or Not to Toad?

I am just getting started and would like to hear opinions on when or when not to take an extra vehicle. Do I really need it?
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

Yes, with absolutely no hesitation! Having a smaller vehicle available for day trips and as a grocery getter will increase your experience immeasurably. There's also the peace of mind that says you and yours will never be completely stranded.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
I am just getting started and would like to hear opinions on when or when not to take an extra vehicle. Do I really need it?
Our current vehicle is too heavy to pull with our smaller MH, so we got a scooter and a hitch mounted carrier. Problem solved.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
WDW

Toad - yes!

Then comes the conversation of what vehicle, which manner (flat or dolly), which supplemental breaking system and hitch. In our case we've been reading and just when we thought we had it figured out, a series of threads opens up a discussion on "Jeep Death Wobbleing" on the night before we pick up our new Jeep! Talk about messing with your head!

I guess it's all part of the RVing adventure.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

Yes
We tow a Chevrolet Equinox everywhere we go.
Roadmaster tow bar
Ready break
I can pull out of a back in site and hook up and be on the road in about 5 minutes.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

It depends. We bought a tow dolly to pull our Nissan Murano because it cannot be towed "4 down". Tow dollys are a cheaper, more flexible alternative. They do require more effort to hook up than 4down towing.

But do you need a car? We live in Orlando and we frequently go to places like Disney and Rainbow Springs State Park where we have no need for a car. When we go somewhere an hour or two away and do need a car, I usually drive the rig and the wife meets me at the campground. On longer trips, we tow the car because you dont want to go thru the bother of disconnecting and whatever to get groceries or go out to dinner.

There is an alternative, rent a car when you get to your destination. Haven't tried it or done the math, but I've heard some folks do that
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

Yes. We towed a Jeep and received lots of enjoyment from it driving the backcountry.

If you plan on doing any kind of siteseeing you need a car. If you just want to go and sit in a campground, then no.

A car doesn't make any difference for fuel mileage. If you have an medical emergency, a car is needed. If you do things in a big city or in the boonies off the main highway, a car is needed.

It just depends on your style of RVing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

Try going without for a time then you will know if you need a vehicle. You did not mention what you are starting out with ? a class C you might not need a toad, Many places rent cars like Enterprise and pick you up. After a time of RVing you will know if you need a toad.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Yea I didn't mention that I will be using a 1997 Tiffin Allegro 34 ft diesel pusher. I think a few trips without and see how it goes might be the ticket and see how it goes.
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

I made it all of one trip. No more solo; the car comes too.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It's rare that we don't bring the toad. The only time we'll leave it home is if we're doing a 1 - 2 night trip to one of the very nearby local parks. If we're going further afield or going to be gone for more than a night or 2 - the toad goes too.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #12

We went two years without a toad, both short trips and a long one or two where we rented a car. We traded cars and got a CRV that we can flat tow. We really enjoy having a car with us. Just got back from taking two grandsons trout fishing and we couldn't have made the trip without the toad. We getting to where we can hook up the CRV in about 10 minutes; unhooking takes less time. We have a four month trip planned this winter that I wouldn't consider without a toad
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #13

"NEED" implies necessity. Kind of a strong word...

We've made several trips in our 94 pusher (35 footer) without a toad. Some people in the campgrounds look at me like I'm crazy when we tell them we just take the rv everywhere we want to go, but I really don't see what the big deal is. The rv is fun to drive, and you'd be surprised the places you can squeeze in to with one. Remember that a motorhome without a toad is more maneuverable than one with a toad... so impromptu stops and sight seeing could actually be easier without a toad in some cases. Lets face it... it's nice to be able to back up... something you can't really do with a toad...

On the other hand... there are just some places you can't go in a motorhome. If your going to one of those places, then of course you might want to make other arrangements.

We rented a car once when we were in Tucson for a few days... but not because we couldn't get around... We had people traveling with us, so both parties rented cars so we could explore on our own for a few days while leaving the rv parked as a home base.

I had dreams of pulling a toad behind us... mostly because I just think it's fun to tow stuff and to make the ol' Cummins earn it's keep. I even bought a wrangler as an every day driver so we'd have something we could take with us, but I've since put that idea to rest, at least for now... Mostly because it's costly... tow bar, supplemental braking, reduced fuel economy, and 4 additional tires and an extra drivetrain to wear out. When you add those things up, renting seems pretty cheap...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If our Motorhome goes, so does the toad. "Don't leave home without it" is my motto.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad