Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
To trade up or not?

First time on the forums. I have owned a 2004 national islander rv that is in great mechanical shape but starting to show its years physically. I still owe around 40k but it books around 90k so in the green. I am back and fourth on trading up tp a newer model that may better suit my family. Bunk house and such. The issue is I believe I have spoiled myself with a diesel pusher that was high quality when built and may not like the newer cheaper gas versions. Has anyone gone through this and felt they made the right decision? I only have used the coach 5 times this year and I believe old water damages are starting to wear on the slides plus cause delamination along the exterior. Thanks for the comments

Bradtaylor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator
Scarab0088's Avatar

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15,246

To upgrade or buy new...hard question.
For us, you cannot buy a massive 8.1L gas V8 RV any longer. It's Ford's 6.8L only for gas RV's.
For Diesel's, the current made engines are burdened with DPF/DEF systems...more stuff to feed and break

Only you can decide what's best for you.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
Mr_D's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 31,213
We upgraded from a perfectly good '02 Dutch Star to the Magna. Wish we had kept the DSDP. Could sure use the money back we spent on the change over and engine repairs now to pay medical bills!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
Ramets's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,377
We've thought many times of trading our 2000 Dutch Star, going to the Tampa Super Show every year to see what's available. Each time we've come away with the same thought...why? So we've remodeled ours to make it much more livable. The greatest thing is...it's paid for.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
Sky_Boss's Avatar

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,135
I'm not sure you will ever get an answer to that question because there are so many subjective reasons involved. Sandee and I are going through the same decision process and are starting to lean towards NOT upgrading. We put a lot of money into our coach 2 years ago for new floors, residential refer, AGS & BMK, sat dish upgrade and other odds and ends. There are only 2 "major" things we can't do to the coach that we would look for in a newer one. Those are a 3rd AC & Oasis.

IMHO, any upgrade (for us at least) should probably needs 3 qualifying factors.

1. Does it maintain or improve your RVing needs?
2. Does the joy gained from such a purchase offset the additional costs of a depreciating aspect?
3. Can you do this without undue burden on future plans?

I'm certain others could expand on this or reword it but I think these are pretty fair considerations.

We are not rich folks and when we opted to go full time we realized we couldn't maintain a S&B home. Besides, we didn't want to and we also wanted to relocate anyway. As we begin our 3rd FT year we find ourselves anchored down in the Lakeland, FL area seriously considering buying into an RV community. It wasn't our plan but we found a place/area with great promise.

How does this fit into the subject you might ask?

Well...we didn't think we would contemplate such a decision so quickly and thought we would upgrade for several more years of FT experience. Given the current prices for RV lots in this area being fairly low post 2009 and some other factors we may choose to divert our "upgrade fund" to buy a pad. This wouldn't force us off our FT pleasures but give us an anchor to go back to and live in if needed due to reasons we can't foresee at this moment in our lives. All of this now factors more immediately than we expected in our upgrade plans.

So...these are the things we are working through right this minute. These are things you may or may not have to work with or around but if so...you have my $.02 on the issue.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,008
FWIW I wonder if the trade value is there. If there is detectable water damage the unit might be worth a lot less than you think. You might be a lot better off just driving it until it hits a major repair bill.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: 97 TJ Jeep Wrangler
Posts: 40
been back and forth ourselves

My DH and I hit the road full time last year in our first RV. We chose to buy an older DP in case we didn't love the lifestyle but we do so started talking about buying something newer. After weighing the pros and cons as well as writing down the numbers we have decided to invest in the one we own. Our numbers look like this:
Current DP owe $50k worth $70-90k depending on location and buyer
DP with floorplan we want: $220k

We would be increasing our monthly payment from just under $600 to almost $1600. We would still be getting a slightly used unit so no guarentee that we would not still need repairs. In addition this 220k unit would still be depreciating so if we did have to leave the road we would be upside down and would have to pay to get out of our loan while our current coach should be near the bottom of its depreciation.

For almost $12k a year we can easily maintain and upgrade what we have so we have decided to live and love what we have.

foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to handle a trade on a new RV ambrown19 Class A Motorhome Discussions 18 11-06-2015 11:12 AM
Trade In Value BernerDad Class A Motorhome Discussions 30 05-22-2014 10:58 AM
Help with dealer selling my trade in before I have received my coach that was ordered freen03 iRV2.com General Discussion 31 04-25-2014 01:54 PM
Trade or not to trade? monkiewicz New Member Check-In 13 11-29-2013 02:21 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.