Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A sidewall blowout takes no prisoners....
Very true but the OP didn't get any kind of alarm and the TPMS should have gone off before the other person in the car displayed the symptoms of epilepsy.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
And before I left, I DID check all the sensors on the RV and the toad and replaced any batteries that were not provide a signal.

As some have said in previous posts, that needs to be a daily exercise, not just a pre-trip exercise.

PS - I do not carry a spare for the MH. I've blown two dually's in the past and was able to get replacement tires with no delay.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I have had a TPMS (Pressure Pro) it always alerted me of tires that needed attention..All but one..and that one (My Bicycle) was not sensored.

(Long story that does not fit this thread)

I do not know why yours did not alert but it should have..Mine always did.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Being prepared sure helps!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #19

My EEZRV TPMS, displays temp and pressure. Accurate enough that I can see increases/decreases, and even tell which side in sun or shade. Blew a toad tire, with body damage, on a narrow road once. Not fun, DW was scared the entire tire change time. I verify tire pressures manually and with TPMS, every time we move. Wouldn't be without one. Happy wife, happy life!😊
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
My EEZRV TPMS, displays temp and pressure. Accurate enough that I can see increases/decreases, and even tell which side in sun or shade. Blew a toad tire, with body damage, on a narrow road once. Not fun, DW was scared the entire tire change time. I verify tire pressures manually and with TPMS, every time we move. Wouldn't be without one. Happy wife, happy life!��
What a good wife.. changing the tire
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #21

I am sorry for your loss but you did learn a valuable lesson that day; do not rely on electronic gadgets. They are not the cure all that everyone wants and we would not even have them if we did not have had the Ford/ Firestone disaster of the early 90's.

I use the old fashion method of checking the air pressure with a quality air gauge making sure the pressure reading is correct for each tire and a visible inspection of the tires. I than check each tire approximately at 2 hour intervals with an IF heat gun to insure that the tires are in similar heat ranges when towing.

With this method I have had only one tire failure in 10 years of pulling a 5er. The tire that failed was a new tire with only 500 miles or so on the ST tire. It was a catastrophic failure 10 min’s after checking the tire at the campground and insuring that the air pressure was at 80 PSI and TPMS would not have any effect of saving that tire.

My wife’s 2011 Jetta TDI had a tire failure in the summer (2014); I was driving the car I heard the tire go flat (window was down) and then the idiot light came on. Big help!!!

My 2008 Ram 2500HD has them also the idiot tire light is off only when I tow since the tires are at the correct pressure range that the Feds require for compliance with the law. When not towing the rear tires are at 45 PSI which is acceptable for the load that they are carrying; but the idiot light is on.

Jim W.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am thinking there are 2 issues being confused as being the same...

1. TPMS performance.

2. Proper care of tires.

Use of a TPMS doesn't stop blow outs caused by what ever may cause it. A TPMS doesn't alleviate the need to properly maintain, inflate and monitor tire condition.

What a TPMS is suppose to do is provide real time monitoring of tire pressure and temperature while driving down the road. No matter how well you take care of your tires you can't stop nails, pot holes or unseen tire defects form causing tire failure. The primary, if not sole, purpose of a TPMS is to provide CURRENT/REAL TIME warnings.

My use of a TPMS doesn't mean I put faith solely in any idiot light system. It is only a device that increases my chances of seeing something develop in REAL TIME before it is a real problem. Specifically in the case of monitoring toad tires it may be the only way I can detect a toad tire that is failing or already failed. I guarantee I can NOT feel a toad tire going low and probably wouldn't know a toad tire blow out occurred in time to prevent real, collateral damage either.

I repeat this thought. I am most disturbed that the OP's TPMS FAILED to alert them about the blown toad tire. If the system failed to do that, it is inexcusable. If the system failed to tell them that there was a failure (signal or battery level) of the sensor(s), that is inexcusable.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I have a Hawkshead TPMS. I did get a low battery 'NS' - No Signal warning but many times I get that and then drive a few miles and the signal from that particular sensor starts transmitting. Evidently this time, it was TRULY a low battery.

SkyBoss,

A previous post from OP.

If it were me I would dump the Hawkshead or put in fresh batteries when even one shows signs of problems.

Enough said.....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
SkyBoss,

A previous post from OP.

If it were me I would dump the Hawkshead or put in fresh batteries when even one shows signs of problems.

Enough said.....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I missed that. That doesn't change what I said. However, it does raise the issue of proper use of ANY tool. Any system that puts out false signals with no root cause is USELESS. As an example, some seem to think the cost of a repeater is not worth the benefits of better signal strength. If one is getting false low battery or loss of connection then they should do something instead of accepting it. You wouldn't do that if your coach was reporting low oil pressure...would anyone? Or would that just be another idiot light to ignore?

Technology isn't perfect but when properly used it is better than avoiding it.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
X-2

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had problems with my TPMS until I installed the repeater. Too many electronics to interfere. I now wonder why the inside tires of the dual run hotter than the outside. Normal?
huffypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Steel wheels versus aluminum, maybe.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
I had problems with my TPMS until I installed the repeater. Too many electronics to interfere. I now wonder why the inside tires of the dual run hotter than the outside. Normal?
Less air flow in a more confined area?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad