Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Toad Blew Tire on I-95 in GA

I was driving calmly down I-95 in GA a few weeks ago escaping the NJ cold and snow for sunshine in the FL Keys.

Suddenly, along side me on the passenger side, a lady pulls up in a pick up truck and is gesticulating wildly. At first we this she is having an epileptic fit, but then realize WE have a problem, not her...

I quickly pull over to the shoulder and find that the right front tire of my Jeep toad is flat with the tread coming off and ripping part of the front bumper with it.

I have TPMS sensors on all my RV and toad tires but NO indication of low air was received at the monitor. (Needless to say, ALL sensors have new batteries now).

Like any good Boy Scout leader, I abide by the 'Be Prepared' motto and travel with a fully equipped tool kit. Soon the warning triangle was out, the car jacked up, genset was running, and my electric impact wrench was buzzing as it loosened the lug nuts. Dropped the spare, topped off the air pressure, and used the impact wrench to buzz those nuts back on.

I re-positioned the loose front bumper and secured it with duct tape. In 40 minutes total we were cleaned up and back on the road. Drove to my cousins in Ocala, FL and bought 4 new tires at Sams Club.

If you are a novice RVer, realize that this lifestyle is not for the faint of heart. But learn to take each new 'experience' in stride, not to fret over it, just solve your problem and move on!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

This is why I don't bother with TMPS's. I had a blowout on my TT and it did similar sheet metal damage to the trailer. I never knew a tire blew. I bought one of the more highly recommended TPMS systems only to find that if you have a bad sensor or if you don't have good reception you're just as blind as if you did not have a system.

I did not bother putting the TMPS system on my new MH. I check all the tire pressures on all my wheels before taking off. I'm pretty sure the day I lost a trailer tire I did not check my pressure. I might have been able to avoid the problem if I did.

For what its worth I bought a TireMinder system which I believe is up there with the rest of them. I'm not slamming their system, just saying I don't see the added value.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like you were fortunate someone alerted you to the blow out, and that you had the tools to make the repais yourself.

Regarding your TPMS do you have a repeater/signal amplifier? On some rigs it is necessary due to overall length and interferrence. Did you not get a low battery warning?

Hope the rest of the trip went okay. Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Hawkshead TPMS. I did get a low battery 'NS' - No Signal warning but many times I get that and then drive a few miles and the signal from that particular sensor starts transmitting. Evidently this time, it was TRULY a low battery.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

Yes TPMS can have low batteries or bad sensors. They still work and are still better than nothing at all.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Yes TPMS can have low batteries or bad sensors. They still work and are still better than nothing at all.
I've been driving cars and what not for a long time. The only blowout I've ever had was in the TT. Its very possible the tires had aged out or were low before I took off that day and I had not checked the pressure. I'm just saying the OPs story about having a blowout in spite of a TPMS is not the first one I've read about. Seems like a false sense of security.

I like the system in my Lexus. Displays each tire with a numerical tire pressure. I can watch the pressure increase as I drive. Haven't seen a similar system for the RV.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My motorhome never moves until my TST 507 cycles through all tires and gives a normal reading. After a few miles i check to make sure all pressures are more than I started with.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I was driving calmly down I-95 in GA a few weeks ago escaping the NJ cold and snow for sunshine in the FL Keys.

Suddenly, along side me on the passenger side, a lady pulls up in a pick up truck and is gesticulating wildly. At first we this she is having an epileptic fit, but then realize WE have a problem, not her...

I quickly pull over to the shoulder and find that the right front tire of my Jeep toad is flat with the tread coming off and ripping part of the front bumper with it.

I have TPMS sensors on all my RV and toad tires but NO indication of low air was received at the monitor. (Needless to say, ALL sensors have new batteries now).

Like any good Boy Scout leader, I abide by the 'Be Prepared' motto and travel with a fully equipped tool kit. Soon the warning triangle was out, the car jacked up, genset was running, and my electric impact wrench was buzzing as it loosened the lug nuts. Dropped the spare, topped off the air pressure, and used the impact wrench to buzz those nuts back on.

I re-positioned the loose front bumper and secured it with duct tape. In 40 minutes total we were cleaned up and back on the road. Drove to my cousins in Ocala, FL and bought 4 new tires at Sams Club.

If you are a novice RVer, realize that this lifestyle is not for the faint of heart. But learn to take each new 'experience' in stride, not to fret over it, just solve your problem and move on!
question.... do you carry a spare for your coach???
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

A catastrophic blow out gives no warning. Boom. Done!
But GRADUAL pressure loss and HIGH TIRE TEMPERATURES are reported by a properly maintained TPMS.
I go for all of the help I can.
YMMV
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
TPMS saved me a tag tire.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rear camera tilts left and right, and up and down 180 Degrees. I find it useful to check my toads tires to ensure they are straight and not smoking while going down the roadway..
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A catastrophic blow out gives no warning. Boom. Done!
But GRADUAL pressure loss and HIGH TIRE TEMPERATURES are reported by a properly maintained TPMS.
I go for all of the help I can.
YMMV
The blow out should have caused an instant alarm. That is troubling to me but...I use them and have a repeater to make sure I get a good signal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The blow out should have caused an instant alarm. That is troubling to me but...I use them and have a repeater to make sure I get a good signal.

A sidewall blowout takes no prisoners.
Agree on the repeater, Don. We have good signals. Some do not. Some rely on pivoting cameras.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Many things on our rigs need maintenance or preventative maintenance including the TPMS.

If the TPMS is not working or reporting correctly or accurately than what good is it? You might as well run without one.

Replace the batteries, get it fixed or get one that you can rely on 100% of the time. I started out with the Doran 360RV which turn into a POS and cost me two trailer tires. I now have the Tire SafeGuard which works ALL the time and I never move the coach or trailer without it on and reporting for each tire.

I carry spare batteries in case one decides to crap out. I also change the batteries every two years regardless if they still work or not. These batteries are so cheap for a 10 pack on eBay.

For those people who don't use a TPMS, the same thing just may happen to you one day when someone drives up next to your rig frantically trying to tell you to pull over. There have been times when people have had their tires catch on fire from not knowing that they were flat.

Your RV, your money, your choice. Each of us have to live with our decisions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad