Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Toad That Pushes The Coach!

This is interesting.
University of Alabama News » Engineering Professors Develop Electric Hybrid Vehicle Concept for RV Travelers
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
The first question I have is what type of hitch would handle push-pull. I'd think the pushing part t work to well with a 4000lb toad pushing a 30000lb coach up a hill. It would seem more likely the recharge would work well if only applied when the coach brakes are active.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a typical professor....pipe dreams. 4000# of dinghy pushing 25000# plus of motorhome. That is going to take some battery power to do much good.

I can guarantee you that I will not be in line to look at one of these set ups and sure would not buy one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well he did say it supplemented the motorhome, it's not pushing the full GVW of the motorhome. If anything the weight of the toad would become nil while going up hill, and that in itself would decrease the weight on the motorhome.

I know I've read that some motorhomer's say they can't even tell their pulling their toads behind their motorhomes, but personally that's bull, it may seem like they can't tell but the motorhome engine sure can. Weight is weight, and if your pulling 4000 lbs it's going to put a 2-ton load on the moho and slow it down. So maybe this guy has something here.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #5

I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this idea. they laughed at the Wright bros. also, look where we have come to.
empty pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I guess my choice of thread title could have been a little less headline grabbing. Bob is correct. The idea is to make the toad weight a net zero to the coach. I like the idea. The devil is in the details.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

Let's not forget that 99% of motorhomes are rear wheel drive/ push configuration. Indeed, many are described as "pushers". And all have a "useless for all other purposes" powerplant that is responsible for up to 25% of the gross weight!! Good luck!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type of hitch would handle push pull?
answser: All of them.. all hitches are designed to stop a towed up to 2,000 pounds or so I am told. Over that the engineers insist on aux-brakes, (even if some states let you go as high as 4,000 pounds)

NOTE: this is stopping force.. WAY WAY higher than the force with which that towed will push.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty pocket View Post
I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this idea. they laughed at the Wright bros. also, look where we have come to.
Bad food, delays all the time, fees for baggage, extortion excessive parking fees at the airport . . .
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I know I've read that some motorhomer's say they can't even tell their pulling their toads behind their motorhomes, but personally that's bull

Not bull at all.

Those of us with high horsepower, high torque diesel pushers don't know the toad is back there. The only exception is the steep grades in the mountains, Then I know it's back there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:34 AM   #11

Don't know if it would really be cost effective but the concept of storing the breaking energy of a hybrid toad and using the only the electric portion of the drive to offset the cost of pulling it up hills could zero out the overall MPG loss encountered when pulling a toad. Will it be enough to justify the extra wear and tear on the toads electric drive system? I don't know.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #12

interesting concept

I like the way they are *thinking outside the box* ... and I can see how this concept would be beneficial on some roads that I travel, for example, I-80 across Iowa, which has lots of 1 or 2 mile long rolling hills ... but would seem to have minimal impact on others, for example, I-80 across Nebraska (west of York) where it is essentially one very gentle 350 mile long hill ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
Bad food, delays all the time, fees for baggage, extortion excessive parking fees at the airport . . .
you are correct about flying its been a long time since i was on an airplane wasn't thinking, but i do like the idea they are thinking out side the box. Greg
empty pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RT-66... I have a gasser and frankly feel like you (It takes a very steep hill before I notice the towed)

What's more. thanks to the "Spoiling' effect of the towed (all 4,000 pounds of it) on the air flow in back of my coach,, Even the gas guage does not notice the towed.