Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Toilet and sink both into black tank- weird?

I was cleaning my tanks yesterday and noticed the sink in the bathroom also leads into the black tank. Only the kitchen sink and shower go into the gray tank.
Is that normal? Now I know why our black tank fills up so much more quickly than our gray during tailgating.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking out loud. I would not know a specific reason to do this other than keep the black tank with plenty of water to avoid build up and drying.

If the install is factory then it most likely was because of location of the tanks and convenience/expense more than design.

If you can fix this easily then shame on who ever did it; excepting of course if there is a good reason. I can't think of one.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Eric,

Some coaches have this "feature" and some don't. Some owners wish they had this "feature". Based on a few years of use of our coach, I think I'd prefer it if my bathroom sink emptied to the black tank since our gray water tank fills faster than the black tank, even though the gray tank is larger by 13 gallons. When the gray approaches 100%, the black tank is still below 50%. So, I am one who wishes I had what you've got.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No, it is NOT the norm and some 5vers and TT's will do that. The only good reason was to save money. it was obviously cheaper to run the plumbing from that sink into the black tank than to run it all the way over to the gray tank.

Another classic Monaco cost cutting technique.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Well, I am not one to climb under and in the tanks to change the piping so it will need to remain.
I can see how it does help to keep water in the black tank if people are not using enough when flushing, which I know most of our guests do not.
I did identify one benefit of this 'feature' though. After emptying the black tank I can then turn the faucet on in the bathroom sink to continue flushing the black tank until the water is clear.
However as I said, most of the use in our RV is the toilet and bathroom sink. the kitchen sink and shower receive a lot less use.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

"the sink in the bathroom also leads into the black tank"
My Southwind does.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A lot of companies do this, not just Monaco. Some do it because of the length of the run from one end of the trailer to the other. Some companies run two grey tanks because it's impractical to run piping because of elevation issues or framing that is in the way.

I kind of like the idea of the bathroom sink draining into the black tank. Adding that additional soapy water is perfect for a black tank.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I kind of like the idea of the bathroom sink draining into the black tank. Adding that additional soapy water is perfect for a black tank.
I do too. I wish ours did it. Our bathroom and kitchen sinks empty into gray 1, shower into gray 2, and toilet into the black. I have no idea the size of my tanks, but gray 1 stays full. I'm dumping it every other day.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I think this is not uncommon. It adds water to the black tank, which makes it easier to empty solids. It also balances out waste water disposal. Unless you run the faucet the whole time you brush, it doesn't add all that much water to the black tank, but reserves the kitchen sink and shower, the big water users, for the grey tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
our winnie drains the bathroom sink into the black tank too. i like it that way.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Thor ACE 29.1 has the bathroom sink draining into the black tank. I think it's just a question of length of pipe run. As a previous poster said, soapy water in the black tank is a good thing.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

That's how mine works. Sink into black.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

My Tourmaster has two rear sinks that drain into the black tank. The kitchen sink and shower drain into the gray tank. I was concerned at first, but now am very glad it's that way. I have never had the black tank fill before the gray tank and usually when the gray tank is full, the black is barely over half. I always have enough water in the black tank to ensure a good flush and cleanout when emptying.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think this is not uncommon. It adds water to the black tank, which makes it easier to empty solids. It also balances out waste water disposal. Unless you run the faucet the whole time you brush, it doesn't add all that much water to the black tank, but reserves the kitchen sink and shower, the big water users, for the grey tank.
Yup, and I had mine 'changed over' for this 'feature.'

Even in a CG I'll have the gray water just 'flush away.' (Installed pull valve on a 2002 SG Sun-Veg. Well, had it installed.) But #2's ... Oooooo, a different game plan to clean that one out.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote