Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We use plain Calgon.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #16

For weekenders, or sporadic users, that method sounds advantageous.

As a full time user, I find that plain water, and nothing more is needed, especially if the natural process is not interrupted with "a clean-out", let nature do the work!

Ed

Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #17

I like to use that blue stuff that it's used in the porta johns, a friend knows some one that works at one of those company's and I like how that procuct works. Joe
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I use this stuff when I can get it:

The Journey of the RedneckExpress - Product Review - Chempace's ODOR-EZE

Chempace "ODOR-EZE"

Otherwise, I fall back on this stuff:

I usually end up with the Chempace because it's easily had without having to seek out an RV center to buy it, almost every walmart I've ever walked into had it in their RV Section.

I am familiar with the GEO method, and have experimented with various combinations, but nothing seems to kill the stink of month old tank contents better than the odor-eze (It takes about a month to fill the 30 gallon onboard waste tank and I don't dump before it's full).

If I'm moving around enough that I am dumping regularly, I don't bother with the tank chemicals as it won't be in there long enough to get rank.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #19

I use a Thetford packet before each trip. Been using it since `97.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #20

I would encourage you to consider the NADA method, NO chemicals/additives of any kind.

Fulltimer, no odor, no mess, no fuss, no problems - ever. It's so much easier and completely "natural."
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
R.E.

Thanks for the info. on Odor-Eze. We don't have a problem now but this summer we'll have lots of guests. I think I'll get some of that stuff.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #22

to wa8yxm: I don't think you're supposed to use dishwashing liquid. I believe it dishwasher liquid. Dishwashing liquids such as Dawn or Joy would foam up too much whereas dishwasher or laundry detergent would clean without all the bubbles.

I am a full timer and mostly use plain old water although I will do the GEO method from time to time.
If I do get odor I'll dump the tank then add some household bleach and a few gallons of water. Some people treat the holding tank like it's a septic tank. It's not. Solids don't stay in the tank long enough to break down the way they do in a septic tank. The main issue is odor, which is caused by bacteria. The bleach kills that bacteria.

I think there are as many opinions about tank treatment as there are about tow vehicles... and that was mine.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
R.E.

Thanks for the info. on Odor-Eze. We don't have a problem now but this summer we'll have lots of guests. I think I'll get some of that stuff.
Not a problem, I'm normally a cynic about alot of the products offered up as tank treatment solutions, but Odor-Eze pleasantly surprised me.

It's also alot more environmentally friendly that the old "blue juice" and is actually a chemical being used now as a replacement for chlorine gas in municipal water sources.

I used to have an MSDS on the product, but it's been years since I looked it up, so I'd have to find it again.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
As Ralph just mentioned, the GEO method uses "water" softener (not fabric), and "laundry" detergent (not dish washing soap...that causes lots of bubbles...). I modified my ingredients by switching to "liquid" Calgon/detergent instead of powder so that I eliminate one process of dissolving the powders.

I only use this method when I will be traveling as the sloshing insures the tank will be fully covered with the solution. When staying for any length of time, I use only water. All those green, blue, purple chemicals don't do anything but substitute one odor for another. If you smell your black (or gray) tank, you have a problem with seals or other leakage from the tanks. Keeping the tanks clean by flushing out the tank with clean water after each dump will insure an odor free rv.

Ron
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #25

Been doing it for about 5 or6 years now. Works great for me.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
We use plain Calgon.
We're fulltimers and have been using Calgon, and nothing else, for 4 years and never had a problem. The tank is clean and the sensors work.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #27

Howdy!

We fulltime and do not use RV chemicals in the tank. If stationary we use nothing by water and back flush. When we do move I will use the GEO method.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I fill my fresh tank with soft water from home and throw in a golf ball sized packet of detergent I found at Safeway.
Are you kidding?
Why put soap in your fresh water tank?