Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toilet Chemicals VS This Method

I talked to a friend today and got onto the subject of RV toilet chemicals. (how did that ever come up?) He was telling me that the RV park that he stays in (seasonal) wants them to use only the following for toilet chemicals.

1/4 cup of liquid fabric softener after each dump. They claim this will keep the nasties from sticking to their tank walls.

1/2 cup laundry detergent as a sanitizer and odor control.

Has anybody heard of this before? I don't want to open an discussion on what is good or bad in relation to commercial tank chemicals. Everybody has their favourites. I just wonder if anybody has tried this combination and if so, does it work. He claims that it works better than everything he has tried in the past. He also claims that for the first time in years he can get consistent accurate tank level readings.

Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've heard of it before but have not used that method.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similar to what I do - I use water softener and bio-degradable laundry soap (along with 5 to 10 gal of water) after dumping and when I plan to drive for a day or so. Once a month or so.
I think the driving part (the sloshing) cleans out the tank. The water alone would probably do the trick.
If you are just sitting in one place I don’t think it would do much
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Coastal Campers
It's called the GEO method. Google it.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Yep, GEO Method. Many satisfied users. We use it except when we do not use anything but water.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
If I use a portable water softener ( On The Go Portable Water Softe - Portable Water Softener - OTG2-CWI3M - Fresheners & Softeners - Camping World ) would I only need to add the laundry soap or Dawn dish soap?
chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
I use liquid tide with fabric softner in it.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Similar to what I do - I use water softener and bio-degradable laundry soap (along with 5 to 10 gal of water) after dumping and when I plan to drive for a day or so. Once a month or so.
I think the driving part (the sloshing) cleans out the tank. The water alone would probably do the trick.
If you are just sitting in one place I donít think it would do much
+1 That's how I use it.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's about the amount I use of those. I buy the softener and soap at the Dollar store.

After a trip I'll fill the 2 black tanks I have completely and let it sit for a couple days and then drain, flush and add the soap and softener with a couple gallons of water and I'm ready for the next trip.

In the summer 110 degrees is possible where I live and I have no problems with odor.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There are a couple of threads on here that discuss this very method. I have been using it for a couple months now. No more false readings from tank sensors and no smell.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
Have used the softner, but now use Oxy versatile and tide. The Oxy softens and cleans plus boosts the detergent.
♫ Happy Trails... to You ♪....., Until We Meet Again ♪..... ♫
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
I fill my fresh tank with soft water from home and throw in a golf ball sized packet of detergent I found at Safeway.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Geo" method of cleaning a tank.

Dump, Add 1/2 cup Water Softener (Calgon preferred)
Add 1/2 cup dishwashing liquid (Dawn blue preferred)

Add water (I usually add about 20-30 percent of the tank capacity.

DRIVE (Sloshing the mix around well)

Dump.... again.

First time I did it the sensors Showed FULL for a couple of days (Till the bubbles went pop pop pop, tanks was full of bubbles) then empty, Since then, not so much joy.

Tank treatments fall into two groups:

Chemicals: Do not use these, there are too many chemicals in our water already, they do not work, are not effective, and at best are a waste of money.

Waste Digester (Biologicals) These.... Actually work,, if you leave them in the tank long enough. but ... Well.. Most of us dump more often than that.

I did use them during the summer when I was parked at home.. i used the toilet from time to time (usually at least once a day) even though I was within 100 feet of the sticks and bricks. and then I'd use the waste digesters.. Since I dumped like every 2 months.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
The GEO method does two things. It cleans the tank and it puts the greasy solids in suspension.

After dumping and flushing refill the black tank with 5 gallons of water. Put in one cup of laundry detergent and one cup of water softner like calgon. Do this only if you will be traveling so it can wash the inside of the tank with the sloshing action. Now the next time you dump you will find the flushing needed is much less. This saves water too.

I am a full timer and use this at least once a month when traveling. I use no chemicals and the only time I get odor is in the high heat and when it is dumping time. It works like a charm.

Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote