Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Toilet paper

What kind of toilet paper is everyone using? Using regular toilet paper or Rv toilet paper? I don't see any difference from one to the other, I know that the Rv toilet paper is suppose to dissolve better but I don't think that it would be problem if I used regular paper, what do you all think?
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
RV TP is a royal ripoff.

Take your regular brand of toilet paper, and put 3 sheets in a jar of water. Wait a minute or 2, and gently shake. Does the TP come apart? If it does, no problem- its black-tank compatible. If not, you can always use Angel Soft or Scott 1000s- well proven in the RV world.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You could search the forum on this topic and find a month's worth of reading material.

We use pretty much anything that is "septic safe". Started using RV TP when we first started out... but we used all those sweet smelling black tank chemicals back then too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Buy mine at Sams Club by the case for home and motorhome. Not a problem at all. Home is a septic tank. Again no problems. Last month I had to motorhome pumped out by a service and he had a see thru hose. There was nothing that would concern me.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

TP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
RV TP is a royal ripoff.

Take your regular brand of toilet paper, and put 3 sheets in a jar of water. Wait a minute or 2, and gently shake. Does the TP come apart? If it does, no problem- its black-tank compatible. If not, you can always use Angel Soft or Scott 1000s- well proven in the RV world.
I certainly agree. Use what you like, as you would at home.

A few years ago I made the mistake of leaving black tank valve open while parked at RV park at Phoenix (yes I was connected to sewage). Sure enough it did not take long for tank to stop up. I had to have someone unstop tank of all the dried TP. I ask the nice young man from plumping service if it made a difference as to TP and he suggested it did not just LEAVE THE VALVE CLOSED when parked then dump when full or needed.

Another good trick is to put a bag of ice in tank when travelling, it will really slush around and break up paper and clean sides if tank.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started with northern. Put it in the jar and let it set then did the shake. It did come apart. Then I bought a clear elbow and watched as I dumped. Wads came through and some pretty big. Switched to angel soft septic safe after doing the shake test which was much faster and better. Just finished a week trip and did not see the clumps. So sticking with that.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I shall share my best secret with you. Buy a few bottles of AMMONIA from Wally and keep it in the rig. After a day or 2 on the road, dump about 1/3 bottle into the black tank, and maybe a cup into the shower. The ammonia will accelerate breakdown of teepee and (more importantly) the solids in the tank. I have checked with tank manufacturers and every one says the ammonia will not harm the tank or seals as long as you have some water in there. I have a see-thru sewer pipe adaptor and can see whats passing by when dumping, and it's pretty much all liquid, except for the most recent donations.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

Cotsco's new Kirkland brand works very well
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I used scots.

But i've a techme macerting toilet, I could use viva paper towels, it wouldn't care!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #10

Regular TP, but we put it in the trash to eliminate all chances of problems later. We use plastic grocery bags to line the basket and put a fresh one in every day - great use for all those Walmart bags.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Regular TP, but we put it in the trash to eliminate all chances of problems later. We use plastic grocery bags to line the basket and put a fresh one in every day - great use for all those Walmart bags.
We have a challenged septic system at home and are used to doing that as well.

While camping, we try to use the campground bathrooms for going #2 if there is fair warning .
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 (before most RV's had septic tanks) and have used what ever was in the stick house since then. I do make sure to use lots of water, never leave the black tank drain open and dump when ¾ full (even adding fresh water if needed). I also use a good quality tank chemical. I have never had a septic tank problem doing all the above since RV's started having tanks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Sam's Club store brand for 15+ years without a problem. Ran into a friend last night that uses single ply in his Fleetwood. Told him about the jar test, but he didn't seem too receptive to changing.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #14

Just switched to Quilted Northern cause that's what I use at home. I do have a macerating toilet and a sani-con macerating pump so hoping not to have any problems.
kanzacc is offline   Reply With Quote