Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Has anyone done the TP test in water to see what your favorite TP does? Proper RV TP does not dissolve in your black tank before you dump. It breaks down into little pieces and makes it easier for the TP and solids in the waste to flow out the tank. It doesn't need to dissolve, it helps when it breaks down into little pieces.
As a matter of fact, I HAVE. A few years back I collected and tested different brands of TP. I never really finished, because it turned out there were FAR more brands of TP than I ever dreamed possible. I finally got tired of shaking jars of water and TP and wrote up what I had. As I reread it now, I think some of the data may be missing, because I know I tested more brands than is described. But the final conclusion stands. Here is the result.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TOILET PAPER TESTING.pdf (103.7 KB, 61 views)

Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #44
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
As a matter of fact, I HAVE. A few years back I collected and tested different brands of TP. I never really finished, because it turned out there were FAR more brands of TP than I ever dreamed possible. I finally got tired of shaking jars of water and TP and wrote up what I had. As I reread it now, I think some of the data may be missing, because I know I tested more brands than is described. But the final conclusion stands. Here is the result.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Be advised, Angel Soft has changed and no longer makes septic safe. Read the description on the front.
They label it septic safe on the end in smaller letters now.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Canadian source: :: Happy Campers - Information, Text Title ::

Two tablespoons for every 40 gallons of waste tank capacity mixed in two gallons of water poured down the toilet into an empty tank. Dump when at least half full. That's all there is to it. It can stay in the tank indefinitely, it will continue to work on whatever is in there.
Thank you so much jackfish for your information, sorry for all the questions but it is new to me and I want to get all my stuff tog be4 I go to collect my unit!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
sorry for all the questions but it is new to me and I want to get all my stuff tog be4 I go to collect my unit!
Just so you know, you will never have everything. There will always be something you forgot. Even living in ours full time we are still looking for one more thing or tool, lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Canadian source: :: Happy Campers - Information, Text Title :: Two tablespoons for every 40 gallons of waste tank capacity mixed in two gallons of water poured down the toilet into an empty tank. Dump when at least half full. That's all there is to it. It can stay in the tank indefinitely, it will continue to work on whatever is in there.
OK, I'm confused. The Happy Camper shows a usage of 1 tablespoon per 30 gallons and 1 tablespoon per 40 gallons on the same page..... Now you are saying 2 tablespoons per 40 gallons...... That brings the cost from $0.90 per use to $1.80 per use.. So what's the real answer on how much to use? Even the manufacturer' website is not clear.....:; confused;:
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
OK, I'm confused. The Happy Camper shows a usage of 1 tablespoon per 30 gallons and 1 tablespoon per 40 gallons on the same page..... Now you are saying 2 tablespoons per 40 gallons...... That brings the cost from $0.90 per use to $1.80 per use.. So what's the real answer on how much to use? Even the manufacturer' website is not clear.....:; confused;:

Sorry, just checked this website......it says 1 ounce per 30 gallons near the top of the page and 1 ounce per 40 gallons near the bottom. Still confused
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #50

I use 1 ounce (or 2 tablespoons) per 40 gallons of waste tank capacity and it works just fine. That's 53 cents with the 130 ounce bucket or 61 cents with the 64 ounce tub.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
They label it septic safe on the end in smaller letters now.
Could be, but according to a long thread on another forum it does not break down like the "old" paper.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #52

Carolina Campers
I wonder how many posts on this thread were followed up with a house TP or another type....

Just don't stay on the pot until your legs can not support you any longer...
Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #53

Hi all, wife and I are pretty new at the whole RV thing and just about to spend a big part of our winter in it for the first time. I have had no problems with the tp thing and I think we only used the rv stuff the first few trips, before switching to the household stuff. I'm not clear on the chemicals though. I have been using drop in chemicals regularly in black tank and some other chemical I bought for the grey tank as we had odours(grey tank). Are you guys saying we don't need to use the chemicals at all? and if so what about odours from both tanks? Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #54
CD

I suggest using the Geo Method and be sure your vents are open. I have used it for more than 10 years with no odor problem and the gauges work better than when it was new. I don't use it every time but quite regular. The only time I had an odor problem (and it was bad) was when Mud Dobbers plugged the vent pipe. That was before the Geo Method.
I have heard that some CGs won't let you use their sewer (septic)
if you use chemicals.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Could be, but according to a long thread on another forum it does not break down like the "old" paper.
Long or short, just because someone posted it on the internet doesn't make it true.

It's a very simple matter to buy a package of TP, drop a few sheets in a jar of water, and find out first hand how well and how quickly it breaks down. If you're not satisfied with the result, use it in the house and try something else. It's so simple to do I don't understand why anyone would rely on something they read on the internet to make their decision. "Facts" we get on the internet are BS more often than they're true.

Here are photos of what you want to see and what you DO NOT want to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP pass.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	48572   Click image for larger version

Name:	TP fail.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	48573  

Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #56

The test I did was quite similar. I put one sheet of RV TP and one sheet of Sam's Club 2 ply TP in separate jars, let them just sit over night and used a fork to try to pick one up the next day. They both fell apart the same.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote