Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Toilet Roof Vent

Hi Folks, I'm in the process of replacing my broken toilet roof vent. The problem is that it is a 1 1/2 inch pipe and the hole it is in is a 2 1/4 inch with a large void around it. My question is...Should I fill the void with lap sealant?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would seal it. When you say lap sealant are you taking about the plastic foam rope you use as backing for caulking? If so I would use it.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Not quite sure I understand your problem but I replaced all four of my vent caps with the new style that swivel with the wind. Can't recall what they call them BUT,
Each one comes with a bezel that slips over the 1 1/2" pipe to take up the void between the 1 1/2" vent stack and the hole in the roof which is about 2 or 2 1/2".
Slide the bexel in place over the black 1 1/2" pipe.
Now slide the new vent onto the top of the black 1 1/2" pipe. Then, lift the bezel up so you can put a couple of small screws (supplied with the new vent) through the new vent and into the black pipe to secure it in place.
Now, liberally apply Dicor Self leveling Sealant around the Black 1 1/2" stack and then lower the bezel in place over the Dicor.
Press the bezel down into the Dicor sealant.
Now, apply Dicor sealant around the OD of the Bezel and around the ID of the bezel next to the OD of the new Vent.
You are done, and sealed against huricane force wind or rain.
Job well done.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #4

Toilet vent, smell coming back in w AC unit

Hi ~ not sure if this is the right place to post / ask ~ but saw toilet vent and this is about that ~
I have a 37ft Prairie Schnooner ~ parked and living in. Im hooked up to sewer/septic.
Problem is when I turn on the A/C unit ~ the smell from the Toilet pipe/vent comes back into my RV. (note open valve, or closed valve, doesn't effect the toilet pipe/vent smell) Its fine when its only #1 thats been going down prior to the turn on of the A/C, but if anyone does anything stronger ~ the smell comes back around in . Yuck!
I was thinking of attaching like a dryer hose with steel clamp and directing the pipe/vent away from the A/C unit ... or does anyone else have this problem, have a solution?
Summer heat is fast on its way ~ help. Another thing Ive done is poored a bleach / water mixture down right before turning on A/C but then thats the smell you got coming back in , tho its nicer than #2 smell, its still unpleasant (and probably not a good thing to continue to do) Help.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a normal RV AC setup, it doesn't draw air in from outside. The inside air is recirculated . If you get an outside odor through the AC you have leakage in the AC and need to check to see where the plenum around the evaporator coils is letting outside air in. When you fix that it will also help your AC do a better job of cooling.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSun View Post
Hi Folks, I'm in the process of replacing my broken toilet roof vent. The problem is that it is a 1 1/2 inch pipe and the hole it is in is a 2 1/4 inch with a large void around it. My question is...Should I fill the void with lap sealant?
You should seal the area between the roof and the pipe for sure! The mfg. drilled a large hole in the roof so it would be easier for the installer to find the hole. You can get sewer smells back into the d=coach by leaving it open. Check out the latest roof vent called the 360 Siphon it has not moving parts and was invented by the same guy that invented the rotating one.

Tags
roof, vent