Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Toll Road Smart Pass

As the number of toll roads continues to increase, are any of you aware of some king electronic toll transponder that can be purchased that can be used across the country?

If this is available, it would mean minimizing stops at toll booths and easier access to roads and less hassle while traveling.

glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb100 View Post
As the number of toll roads continues to increase, are any of you aware of some king electronic toll transponder that can be purchased that can be used across the country?

If this is available, it would mean minimizing stops at toll booths and easier access to roads and less hassle while traveling.

We have the EZ-Pass from Maine-Virginia and the Sun Pass while in Florida.
EZ-PAss does require a different transponder for the MH than the toad. I can assure you that different states have different policies reagarding plate reading, (some read front plate-sme read rear plate) so make sure you investigate that first based on the states you think you may travel.
We were wanted fugutives for a while because the GW bridge which is run by the NJ highway system read our toad plate and not the MH. Only after several calls to people who speak English as a second language did we get it worked out and our "REPEAT OFFENDER" status removed.

Short answer, yes there is.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi glennb100,
My view is different. For me, there is no single way to use the variety of toll paying methods across the USA. Some states have the same process but most are different from each other. Within Florida, the tag reading devices are only in Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) and South. Once out of Florida, I remove my transponder and just go to the toll booth that accepts cash. I remove the transponder as I have been lazy and paid cash and the transponder beeped indicating $s had been deducted from my account!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

EZ pass will cover maybe 2/3's of the toll booths in the country. That's about as close as you can come to a "king pass". Some others use a different pass, e.g. the Florida Sun Pass, while some accept only cash.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I also use the EZPass and SunPass combo. EZPass is also accepted in PA, OH, IN and IL as you go out west from the east coast.

EZPass does NOT work in CA where they have FasTrak tolls.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Son had a problem in south florida .Many tolls only accept sun pass. So if you don't have one they send you a bill with a surcharge for not having the sunpass. Another way to sock it to the tourist. When he inquired was told if he got a new sunpass it would take 24 hours to activate so would not help.A 75 cent toll becomes $2 plus.Thank you for visiting sunny florida.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

I heard some time ago there was talk about making the interstate roads toll roads.
Don't laugh folks, they (the goverenment) is looking for all kinds of ways to raise money these days.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

In Washington state, even the toll roads we have use different transponders. The Tacoma Narrow bridge was the first to go to transponder tolling, followed by the HOV lanes that you can pay to use if you don't qualify by the number of people in the car. Next month the 520 floating bridge is supposed to go to transponders.

With the incredible foresight so common to state governments, the transponders for the Narrows bridge ar different to those for 520 and the HOV lane system is yet a third type. I guess we can be thankful that the HOV transponders for I-5 and SR167 are the same!

I'm glad I don't have to drive through the greater Seattle urban area on a regular basis. I'll be interested to see how they handle occasional users from out of the area, as there are no manned toll booths.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also use EZ Pass, which provides a discount in some situations and has saved us a lot of time, especially around Chicago (always a time burner). We do not live in a state with toll roads so we had to "rent" one from another state. We chose Ohio. Interestingly, each participating state has different rates. Here is the link for Ohio, which lists all of the participating agencies.

Ohio Turnpike Commission - EZPass FAQ

Happy travels!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Son had a problem in south florida .Many tolls only accept sun pass. So if you don't have one they send you a bill with a surcharge for not having the Sunpass. Another way to sock it to the tourist. When he inquired was told if he got a new Sunpass it would take 24 hours to activate so would not help.A 75 cent toll becomes $2 plus. Thank you for visiting sunny Florida.
To be fair, the surcharge only applies to the MONTH, not PER TOLL. You can get a SunPass and save anywhere from 25 to 50 percent on your toll. If not, the Toll By Plate option comes into play on several toll roads in Florida. A camera takes a picture of your vehicle and rear plate, a computer looks up the plate number for the vehicle owner, a bill is sent for all tolls recorded that way for the month. $2.50 is the "convenience charge". That equipment costs money, and if you don't want to buy a SunPass, no one is forcing you to. But you won't get the discount if you don't buy one. It sounds more than fair to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I heard some time ago there was talk about making the interstate roads toll roads.
Don't laugh folks, they (the goverenment) is looking for all kinds of ways to raise money these days.
It's already happened. California State Road 91 and I-95 in south Florida have toll lanes. I-10 in Houston has toll lanes. They also have free lanes, but it is only a matter of time before we are charged either by the trip or by the mile.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
It's already happened. California State Road 91 and I-95 in south Florida have toll lanes. I-10 in Houston has toll lanes. They also have free lanes, but it is only a matter of time before we are charged either by the trip or by the mile.
Pay per mile is coming, mainly because of electric cars. They pay little road tax for the miniscule gas they burn. This is leaving states shorted in road tax, so the individual states are contemplating eliminating road tax on fuel and enacting a mileage tax. Each auto owner must rent/buy a computer for each vehicle that automatically sends the necessary information to the state they are driving in/through. I think this encompasses the interstate toll road movement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
California State Route 91 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

91 is a freeway. The toll lane is privately funded.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #14

RVThere- EZ pass also accepted in West VA