Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #29

Toll roads in the Interstate hwy system.

Nothing is more pleasurable on the road than the road less traveled, that is not a toll road, that requires a bit more time, that provides free viewing of Americana along the way.
Some are limited in time and stretching to reach the "bridge too far", while others are enjoying the Journey, as THAT is the least stressful Destination.
US30 goes straight across Ohio and Indiana to Chicago, where I80 picks up the trail to the far West.
Because the Journey is Our Destination, life is calmer.
I save over $100 by taking I80 vs the crappy PATP across PA. But it does take an extra 40 minutes. [emoji6]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #30

One that I have not seen mentioned is the Kansas turnpike which is also section of the interstate highway, and is often not shown as a toll road on maps. My Garmin GPS tried to route me on it even though I had toll roads turned off.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Last year when we were going into Maryland, we ended up at a toll both. They charged us $55.00 because we had a tag axle coach. Knowing what I know now, next time I'll block the darn lane and disconnect my toad while people wait and go across as two separate vehicles. They counted me as a 5 axle commercial rig.

About 20 miles down the road, we came to a second one....I told my wife we couldn't afford too many more of these in one day. Our friends were ahead of us in their fifth wheel with four axles which apparently doesn't trigger the big fees. As they paid at the second toll, they mentioned I was pretty upset about the $55.00 toll. As we reached the booth, the lady was laughing and said she was going to charge me only $15.00 instead of the normal $35.00, since I had already been screwed once today.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #32

I save over $100 by taking I80 vs the crappy PATP across PA. But it does take an extra 40 minutes.

Rural America over the interstates every time if possible...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post

Here in Arkansas, they have discussed adding "express" lanes in the median of I40 that would be a toll road. Makes sense to me, if you want to use it, you pay for it. However, they can't seem to figure out how to actually do it.

Just tell them to come to the Seattle area as they have figured it out. Seems to work okay as far as I can tell. Lots of cameras needed to facilitate it though.
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #34

Here in the San Francisco area they charge you twice as much if your toad is connected. We've been here about a year and are three quarter through our list of things we want to do and see here. After that I don't think we'll ever come back. The jails were too full so they let most of them out. Law and order has broken down.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I don't believe the readers are "smart" e.g. knowing whether you are towing or are higjer / lower than the cut off.

What should be and was is are very different. Don't you believe that heavier loads cause more wear & tear?

Then I guess all vehicles...18...22 wheelers should paythe same as autos.

Don't tell politicians that they will raise all rates to the highest ones... and we will be equal?
Sorry you don't believe facts.

Florida has had axle counters almost since they had automated toll systems.

And I could easily see a height detector using any number of technologies from a simple eye beam that garage door openers use to laser height detectors that range finders use.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #36

This is from NYS Thruway Authority.

Vehicle Classification Information

Vehicle classification is based on the height of the vehicle over the first two axles and the total number of axles, including any towed vehicles or trailers.* Vehicles under 7 feet 6 inches in height are considered “LOW” (L).* Vehicles 7 feet 6 inches in height or greater are considered “HIGH” (H).

The total number of axles plus the height designation equals the vehicle class as shown in the table (Figure 1) below. The diagram (Figure 2) below shows approximate vehicle heights in relation to the toll booth. Diagram (Figure 3) below shows examples of axle counts on various vehicles. **Example: Most two-axle passenger vehicles are Class 2L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heightdemo_600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	176928  
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Sorry you don't believe facts.

Florida has had axle counters almost since they had automated toll systems.

And I could easily see a height detector using any number of technologies from a simple eye beam that garage door openers use to laser height detectors that range finders use.
I'm not trying to be smart but the way I understand it NY does not have smart readers...
Twinboat - I understand the NY classification system but don't believe the toll booths - at least in NY are in any way "smart"

According to the NY E-Z Pass website and NYS Thruway sites you need to have an EZ Pass for the class of vehicle it is used in - it does not "read & calculate" a different class if towing or using it in a MH

The way I understand it I would need a separate EZ Pass for each class and choose the right one to mount based on which vehicle I'm driving and whether towing or not - for me that's a potential of FIVE EZ Passes...
Who said EZ is EASY???

2L - car alone
3L - car w/ trailer
2H - motorhome alone
3H - MH w/ boat in tow
4H - MH w/ TOAD

2) TAG USE
a. Cash or check customers must pay a deposit...
b. You may only use the Tag on a vehicle class that corresponds to the class of Tag provided to you by E-ZPass.

I know people (in NY Sate - can't speak for others) that have a Class 2L pass and tow boats, snow mobile trailes, etc (class 3L) but the way I understand it they are not legal...just getting away with it I guess.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toll roads in the Interstate hwy system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'm not trying to be smart but the way I understand it NY does not have smart readers...

Twinboat - I understand the NY classification system but don't believe the toll booths - at least in NY are in any way "smart"

According to the NY E-Z Pass website and NYS Thruway sites you need to have an EZ Pass for the class of vehicle it is used in - it does not "read & calculate" a different class if towing or using it in a MH

The way I understand it I would need a separate EZ Pass for each class and choose the right one to mount based on which vehicle I'm driving and whether towing or not - for me that's a potential of FIVE EZ Passes...

Who said EZ is EASY???

2L - car alone

3L - car w/ trailer

2H - motorhome alone

3H - MH w/ boat in tow

4H - MH w/ TOAD

2) TAG USE

a. Cash or check customers must pay a deposit...

b. You may only use the Tag on a vehicle class that corresponds to the class of Tag provided to you by E-ZPass.

I know people (in NY Sate - can't speak for others) that have a Class 2L pass and tow boats, snow mobile trailes, etc (class 3L) but the way I understand it they are not legal...just getting away with it I guess.

I live in NJ and have an easypass account with multiple easy passes and multiple vehicles. When I register a vehicles license plate to the account I have to provide the weight of the vehicle how many axels and weather or not the rear axles are duals or not. I'm then charged based on the info I provided. I can switch transponders between vehicles. As far as being charged for towing a toad I haven't done that yet but will find out soon enough.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
I live in NJ and have an easypass account with multiple easy passes and multiple vehicles. When I register a vehicles license plate to the account I have to provide the weight of the vehicle how many axels and weather or not the rear axles are duals or not. I'm then charged based on the info I provided. I can switch transponders between vehicles. As far as being charged for towing a toad I haven't done that yet but will find out soon enough.
That's my understanding - multi passes each for a different class

Others were - I think - trying to say one pass and the toll booth are smart enough to know what class you are using it in - diffident hts & # of axles
maybe in FL but not in NY the way I read & interpret it.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #40

In Jersey, I gave the tag number and what it was, that's all. No weights just what it is for. NY highways seams to figure it out that I have an rv towing a trailer. Never anything on my bill or notices in the mail.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out this URL, which will answer questions regarding usage of EZPASS in the Northeast. https://www.reference.com/technology...bad9d3f9ae5b37
Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #42

Portland, Qregon is trying to set up a toll on the I-5 bridge between there and Vancouver, Washington........only one other bridge to cross.......if it passes, gonna be some head hunters turned loose....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote