Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Toll roads in the Interstate hwy system.

On my first trip to the northeast I find that parts of the Interstate Highways are toll roads. I always thought that the feds planned and built the system with federal tax dollars. $45 to go from Buffalo to Schenectady (250 miles). Just imagine paying $45 to drive from LA to Vegas. A 35 mile stint on the Maine turnpike (I95) $3 for a car and $13.50 for the rv? Doesn't exactly make me want to return. Live free or Die? Well not exactly. As long as I'm venting the width of the toll booth leave about 6 inches on each side. I figure many mirrors have been lost off of bigger coaches.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

Yes, the toll roads are all over the Midwest and Northeast and now have migrated into the South. I'm one of those rare folks that think that toll roads are the fairest form of taxation. You use it so you pay for it. You don't want to pay for it, then don't use it.

There is a quirk that could have saved you substantial dollars on the NY Thruway. A NY EZ Pass allows you to use the Thruway and pay passenger car rates. If you ever head back up this way, you may want to get the NY EZ Pass. It's free and it a big time and money saver.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Yes, the toll roads are all over the Midwest and Northeast and now have migrated into the South. I'm one of those rare folks that think that toll roads are the fairest form of taxation. You use it so you pay for it. You don't want to pay for it, then don't use it.
While I agree with you in principle, the reality is that in most cases there is no real alternative. So you are more or less forced into the toll road taxation. Metro Chicago and suburbs is one example. Good luck getting from I-80 up to I-94 in Wisconsin using alternative roads, bring a lunch...and supper.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

As long as no fuel taxes are used to support the toll roads, then maybe it would be a fair.

Of course the PA Turnpike was going to be paid for in ten years, now 77 years later it is deeply in debt.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Pa turnpike is not in debt, its paying for Pa highway rebuilding. Passed a law.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Pa turnpike is not in debt, its paying for Pa highway rebuilding. Passed a law.

They should keep some of that toll money and use it to replace it. The section from the Deleware Bridge to the Hershey exit is horrible.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
On my first trip to the northeast I find that parts of the Interstate Highways are toll roads. I always thought that the feds planned and built the system with federal tax dollars. $45 to go from Buffalo to Schenectady (250 miles). Just imagine paying $45 to drive from LA to Vegas. A 35 mile stint on the Maine turnpike (I95) $3 for a car and $13.50 for the rv? Doesn't exactly make me want to return. Live free or Die? Well not exactly. As long as I'm venting the width of the toll booth leave about 6 inches on each side. I figure many mirrors have been lost off of bigger coaches.
Just think if you wanted to go back the same way, you would pay $90 for the privilege of riding their road.

I think that if the federal government builds the roads they are free. However some roads may have been built by the state and/or private parties which can charge tolls. The government just uses these highways rather than build another major road.

I grew up in New Jersey and if one likes to RV, to get anywhere you either have to go through New York metro area, Baltimore and Wash. DC, or Philadelphia. If you are working and don't have a lot of time for vacation you use the Interstates as much as possible and pay any tolls.

In Arkansas we have no toll roads (so far) and one year when we went to New Hampshire we were going to take the Interstate from Buffalo to Albany but when we found out how much it was going to cost, we took Route 20 which parallels it. It was slow going and you do go through a lot of small towns but we weren't in a rush so we saved a lot of $$.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Discovered that there are toll roads in OK a couple of weeks ago. Price seemed a bit high to me and discovered that at least at one exit when you when to get back on there was only one way to pay and that was with coins! I mean come on folks if you don't want an attendant fine but let me pay with bills and credit cards also. Plus give me something I can reach from my drivers window.
Plus toll rates seem very high to me for a RV and toad. I think most have been more per mile than cost of fuel per mile.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I set the NAV system to avoid toll roads - and the narrow​ toll booth. But do double check that the route is not going to take too many additional miles - fuel, et al vs. toll charges.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Growing up in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in the 50's, I witnessed the building of the portion of I94 between Chicago (O'Hare airport) and Wisconsin.
The original "promise" of the politicians that sold the toll road concept to the public was that once the road was finished and paid for, the tolls would be eliminated.
Yeah, right.
What they didn't disclose was the road would never be finished!
As in other areas, to this day, I94 is STILL under perpetual construction. And on top of that, the tolls have increased substantially.
Here in Arkansas, they have discussed adding "express" lanes in the median of I40 that would be a toll road. Makes sense to me, if you want to use it, you pay for it. However, they can't seem to figure out how to actually do it.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #11

You have to understand the motivation for the tolls in the northeast. The local politicians are always looking for more money so they can keep their re-election pump flowing. Sticking it to out of staters, beachgoers, truckers and of course RV'ers is just a politicians wet dream. Most of these folks are either from out of state, are representatives of a small group with little or no political clout, or are using the roads so infrequently it doesn't matter if they get hosed (they just want to get the squabbling kids in the back seat to the beach NOW). These political hacks know this and take full advantage of it. This is why when I as an out of state driver cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50) with my toad hooked up it costs me $10 more than if I separated them and drove them across. Read that "Here comes another RV (or truck) sucker. The George Washington Bridge will cost me between $75 and $95 and that's with an EZPass for an RV and toad. Only solution I can think of? Term limits to maybe get them thinking about those who elected them instead of their re-election fund. We should expect service from these clowns, not a bill for their lifelong luxury and power trip.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Some tolls roads were added to the system simply because it makes no sense to build a new Interstate more-or-less along side an existing toll road. The NY, NJ, Mass and PA Turnpikes, for example, already existed and were not built with federal tax dollars. Later, newer toll roads were added as well. You can learn about it at https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/tollroad.cfm
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
Just think if you wanted to go back the same way, you would pay $90 for the privilege of riding their road.
Some tolls in the northeast are collected only in one direction. Not a lot, but some are that way. Especially certain bridges over the Hudson.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #14

I have EZ pass for those highways that use it and SunPass for Florida since we are down there almost every winter. If we went to Ok or Texas, I would get theirs. Usually if you have a pass you get a break on tolls. I have noticed if you use the booths that the 18 wheelers do, they are wider!