Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #15

You can get the NY EZ pass for no charge. It will also give you a discount in NY. You just give them a credit card number and they will automatically charge your card for $25 and then charge it again when you are close to using up the pre-payment. No issues, faster at the toll barriers, and a tad cheaper than waiting in line with your toll ticket.

Depending on when and from where you are in Michigan, you may be faster to cross at the Blue Water Bridge into Ontario and then cross at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. It is substantially faster than an all US route and it will save you some serious $$ in tolls. If you are carrying any firearms then do NOT go through Canada. Other than that it is much faster than going through Ohio, PA, and then all the way across NY.

If you do go through Canada, fill up with fuel prior to crossing over. Fuel is very expensive in Canada so top off in the US first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If you do go the route thru Canada and end up in Buffalo I will give 2 places to go for food that I love and Thom has come to love also. La Nova's for pizza and The Anchor Bar for wings. The Anchor Bar is where Buffalo Wings originated and even Thom, after trying them, agrees that we just cannot find wings any better across the states.

Darn now you are making me hungry for wings and pizza ......

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The PA TP is about 20 cents a mile with my 25,500 total gross.
Nuff said
Probably closer to 25-30 with the latest rate increase a few weeks ago.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Probably closer to 25-30 with the latest rate increase a few weeks ago.
Wow!
I take I80. Nearly the same distance, about 1/2 hour longer. The PATP is soooo bad the last 1/3 going west!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The PATP is soooo bad the last 1/3 going west!
It is bad almost everywhere. It is truly amazing that it can be in constant 45 MPH construction mode and still be one of the worst roads in the state. And the only toll road. They have raised the tolls so high that most trucks can't use it but they still can't figure out how to make a repair last 2 years.
Recently a bill has been introduced in the state house to eliminate the Pa. Turnpike Commission due to all the corruption and money wasting.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
On I-10 west in Houston I was charged $7.00 at three toll plazas on the HOV for a total of $21.00 from downtown Houston to Katy. I found out about it when the monthly statement came in. I thought it was a mistake so I called and was told "MO=2 axles + tow dolly=1 axle + toad=1 axle for a total of 4 axles and a $7.00 charge". She said "...the rate's on the sign...(sig) implying DUH...". You can read that whole sign if you are only going 30-35 MPH and not trying to merge into the 70 MPH traffic. Needless to say I now stay on the freeway and forget the HOV when pulling the toad. The toad has a windshield sticker on it also but the reader doesn't pay any attention to it, just the one on the MH.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #21

I was thinking about getting one of those church collection plates with the long handle on it for toll booth use, but it would be in the way 99% of the time.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #22

Originally I planned to cross Canada but now everything has changed. Since we will be out fulltime after this trip and won't return here I"ll have handguns onboard. The trip through Canada is out and now I'm stuck with Ohio and NY tolls. I'm going to look into the EZ pass.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #23

[QUOTE=wnytaxman;1562607]You can get the NY EZ pass for no charge. It will also give you a discount in NY. You just give them a credit card number and they will automatically charge your card for $25 and then charge it again when you are close to using up the pre-payment. No issues, faster at the toll barriers, and a tad cheaper than waiting in line with your toll ticket.

EZ pass is the only way to go
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Originally I planned to cross Canada but now everything has changed. Since we will be out fulltime after this trip and won't return here I"ll have handguns onboard. The trip through Canada is out and now I'm stuck with Ohio and NY tolls. I'm going to look into the EZ pass.
Not Just Canada anymore. Check the new laws before you take anything in to New York. (I haven't heard of they have restrictions on pressure cookers -yet.) More than 7 in a mag is a felony and there is no reciprocity any more. These days you are much safer going without any protection (?)

If you are going to stay in the US, cross Ohio on Rt2 to I-90, then pick up I-86 and run it to I-88 - Bingo - you are in Schnectady with no tolls. Also, more places to stop and cheaper fuel than the NYTW.

Matt
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post

If you are going to stay in the US, cross Ohio on Rt2 to I-90, then pick up I-86 and run it to I-88 - Bingo - you are in Schnectady with no tolls. Also, more places to stop and cheaper fuel than the NYTW.

Matt
Thanks for the route advice.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
EZ Pass is the way to go!! We have two. One for when we are towing..which is most of the time, and one for just the RV alone. Another advantage is in a lot of the tow booths the outside lane is designated for EZ Pass and is wider for large rigs and trucks.

The thing I have a problem with is a lot of the campgrounds that have a gate arm which requires the use of a plastic card to activate it. They put the dang box at car window level and here we sit three feet above that. Therefore I have to jump out and swipe the card to open the gate then run back and jump in the coach before it goes down. What do single campers do if they don't have a DH or DW to open the gate Not a very good plan campground owners.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Mail your guns to Lake Placid and cut through canada.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #28

You are not allowed in NY state with any handguns. No way no how. You have to be a resident and get a permit.